Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

Utah or Nevada, trek in November, please advise

Hi folks, greetings from tropical Panama. I have a trip to the US in late Oct/ early Nov. I have to be in Moab, UT to renew my wilderness first responder certification; after which I have about a week off, and then I have to attend a conference in Reno, NV. I hope I can do some backpacking and hammocking in those areas, either between those two appointments or stay another week after the conference to do some hiking, or both!!!

I enquired about the John Muir Trail on another forum, but all the feedback I got was that Nov isn't such a great time to go because of the probability of blizzards in the Sierras, and the fact that most trails are going to be a few inches deep in snow.

So, I need some advice from you folks. Coming from a tropical country I surely enjoy the snow mountain scenery, high deserts, etc. But would like to go to areas that are relatively safe to hike solo. I've been to Zion NP in the past and loved it. I was looking at Arches, Bryce, and similar, also the Tetons in NV, so the possibilities are endless. But I have no clue which would suit me best. I have a lot of backpacking experience, but winter camping isn't something I do very often as you can imagine, and don't feel very confident about doing it solo. So, any areas that don't get a lot of snow in the NV/UT, would probably be advisable.

If you were me, where would you go?...

Thanks for the input, hangers. Appreciate it...

Rick
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    So, any areas that don't get a lot of snow in the NV/UT, would probably be advisable.

Rick
    Welcome to Utah - November is unpredictable to say the least. Are you stuck to Southern Utah for the warmth? If so, yeah... Moab, Arches, Goblin Valley, Canyonland, Bryce, Zions, Cedar Breaks, Kolob Canyon, etc might suit yah.

Up North, you might want to stay in lower elevations mountains, unless you want the adventure and prepared for all climates, and some of the hunting seasons extend out to November.

Can't really isolate a location for you - but there is plenty to see. Early enough that the unmaintained winter mountain passes wont be closed yet to vehicles.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Thank you Samjaynes for the advice. The weather is unpredictable in most places around the world, especially in mountainous regions. So I'm used to that.

I think I won't complicate things and just stay around Arches, Bryce, Canyonlands. I can rent a car and drive around those parks, and then drop it off in Reno when I'm done. That's the best thing.

Another question, if you don't mind: How hammock friendly are those parks in UT? and is it easy to get back country passes?

Thanks a lot,

Rick
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    here is a buddy of mine's site...

he also wrote a book....