Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps

Question what kind of setup for a beach hang?

I'm heading to Bethany Beach, DE next weekend and I'm trying to see if I can finagle a beach hang while I'm out there. I've never been to Bethany, nor have I had potential opportunity to hang on a beach. Short of slinging up underneath a pier, what might one use to hang on the beach?

Ideally, I'd like to NOT carry a bunch of poles to lash up...... I wanna keep it as lean as possible (though I'm not too lean myself at 210lbs ).

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I was going to set mine up between two sturdy volleyball net posts (they were 8x8 and anchored in concrete) but the pitch was a foot too short for my straps and whoopies

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I use a Handy Hammock at the beach:

http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/

Probably not going to help you by next week unless you can talk someone here out of theirs.

S

what kind of setup for a beach hang?

I'm a noob, but maybe buy this and ditch cheap hammock
    http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/2827_21291_ENU_HTML.htm

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    There's a DIY stand that is easy and not to expensive to build called the turtle dog stand - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=turtle.
    It consists of two tripods built out of 2x2's and a gate hinge with a bar to connect the two tripods together. You could probably have a pair built in an hour or so.

what kind of setup for a beach hang?

Quote Originally Posted by lesspayne View Post
    There's a DIY stand that is easy and not to expensive to build called the turtle dog stand - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=turtle.
    It consists of two tripods built out of 2x2's and a gate hinge with a bar to connect the two tripods together. You could probably have a pair built in an hour or so.
    Very cool!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I just did a beach hang a few weeks ago. I would say that I managed to squeak by due to all the mistakes I made but I learned a lot. The beach was a soft fine sand. I used 2x4 studs for the upright supports and dug them down into the sand about a foot or more to where I found some sand that seemed solid. Next time I am going to set them onto some sort of board support base to prevent any sinkage. I think I will drive a nail into the bottom of the 2x4 and slip it into a hole drilled into the base to keep things from slipping. After sinking the bottom of the 2x4 into the sand I drove a nail in about head high to keep the hammock suspension in place. Then I buried a deadman at about a 45 degree angle and here is where I learned a lot. First the deadman needs to be larger than I had, next time it will be a 2x6 about 18 inches long with an eyebolt attached in the center to avoid any twisting or use a big chunk of firewood. It needs to be a minimum of a foot deep and it helps to pour a bucket of water over the sand after you tamp it down over the deadman. Second, and this is very important, your guyline can't have any stretch. I tried to use a piece of good nylon rope about as big around as my finger and it stretched like a rubber band. The hammock sagged about 4 feet with the guyline pulled as tight as I possibly could. This is no exaggeration. If your guyline stretches you are in trouble. I also added some side guylines to stabilize the 2x4. They do not need to be nearly as strong and might be unnecessary in calm conditions but I think a 15-20 mph wind would blow you right over without them. I am also going to increase my guyline angle. 45 degrees will work but is not optimal.

I now appreciate trees more. And, if you are going to do a lot of beach camping think about getting a tent.
    Last edited by Yakfoot; 08-03-2013 at 12:22.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I use a Handy Hammock at the beach:

http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/

Probably not going to help you by next week unless you can talk someone here out of theirs.

S
    I'd love a Handy Hammock but you're right that i wouldn't get here from the UK in time. Anyone near the Washington DC/No.VA area that has one I might borrow for a week?

Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I was going to set mine up between two sturdy volleyball net posts (they were 8x8 and anchored in concrete) but the pitch was a foot too short for my straps and whoopies
    The volleyball net posts are a good idea (assuming there are some where I'll be)!

Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBlueHen View Post
    I'm a noob, but maybe buy this and ditch cheap hammock
    http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/2827_21291_ENU_HTML.htm
    If these things were longer, perhaps. But these types of hammocks just not the same.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast