Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks

Swollen uvula, sore throat

Does this happen to you, and if so, what do you do for it? I mean when you are out hammocking exposed to the elements (pollen)...
    Last edited by Billiard Pete; 07-31-2013 at 16:55.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner; Chameleon
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, you've got to find out what's causing it, then treat appropriately.
    If allergies, then treat with antihistamines (eg: Allegra, Claritin, etc) and possibly Nasal Corticosteroids.
    If nasal congestion causing mouth breathing, then perhaps a Nasal decongestant such as Pseudoephedrine. A topical decongestant can be use temporarily (a few days).
    If Acid Reflux, then acid reducing agents such as H2 Blocker (eg: Zantac Pepsid, Aciphex, or Tagamet) and or PPI (eg: Prilosec, Nexium, Protonix, Dexilant). Liquid Antacid (eg: Maalox or Mylanta) may buffer acid in stomach prior to lying down. Avoid Liquids for an hour or so before lying down. Sleep with head elevated above stomach.
    If infection...well, see your doctor. :-)
    Symptomatic treatment with Lozenges, Spray, OTC analgesics (eg: tylenol or ibuprofen)

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    He's probably snoring so loud it keeps the other campers awake on the other side of the mountain!

Those breathe right strips help a little, especially in combination with the medications.

If all that fails, late fall and winter camping are awesome!
    Ed

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Get a cpap

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by egrant5329 View Post
    He's probably snoring so loud it keeps the other campers awake on the other side of the mountain!
    Yupp, ask me how I know...
    Have dealt with a swollen uvula maybe half a dozen times in my life, and have traced a few of those to snoring issues. The other times --- ???? No fun regardless.

I snore in a hammock if I don't use a neck pillow. Also will wake up with a sore neck and a headache. But with a pillow, all is well!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Get a cpap
    I am afraid Ratdog is probably right.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I've had a swollen uvula a couple of times, both attributable to sleeping in cold conditions with my nose/mouth uncovered. I think it's about the cold and lack of moisture in the air. After I started pulling a buff (or a fleece neck gaiter) over my face when sleeping in the hammock in the cold, no more issues. It seems to retain just enough of the heat and moisture from my breath that it doesn't happen any longer.

I know it's probably not the OP's issue here, given that it's summertime. Might be worth remembering though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I've had a swollen uvula a couple of times, both attributable to sleeping in cold conditions with my nose/mouth uncovered. I think it's about the cold and lack of moisture in the air. After I started pulling a buff (or a fleece neck gaiter) over my face when sleeping in the hammock in the cold, no more issues. It seems to retain just enough of the heat and moisture from my breath that it doesn't happen any longer.

I know it's probably not the OP's issue here, given that it's summertime. Might be worth remembering though.
    Had the exact same problem and my buff solved the issue.. Also helps keep some of the moisture off the TQ. I have a large wool Beanie that I sometimes pull down over my face that also does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctaD View Post
    Well, you've got to find out what's causing it, then treat appropriately.
    If allergies, then treat with antihistamines (eg: Allegra, Claritin, etc) and possibly Nasal Corticosteroids.
    If nasal congestion causing mouth breathing, then perhaps a Nasal decongestant such as Pseudoephedrine. A topical decongestant can be use temporarily (a few days).
    If Acid Reflux, then acid reducing agents such as H2 Blocker (eg: Zantac Pepsid, Aciphex, or Tagamet) and or PPI (eg: Prilosec, Nexium, Protonix, Dexilant). Liquid Antacid (eg: Maalox or Mylanta) may buffer acid in stomach prior to lying down. Avoid Liquids for an hour or so before lying down. Sleep with head elevated above stomach.
    If infection...well, see your doctor. :-)
    Symptomatic treatment with Lozenges, Spray, OTC analgesics (eg: tylenol or ibuprofen)
    As another doctor on the forum, I find this to be sound advice. Unless you have documented snoring and sleep apnea, a CPAP is not going to be a benefit to you. If you think it is from cold or dry air, then angrysparrow's suggestion may be beneficial. Talking to your doctor, who can ask you more specific questions and examine you, will likely be more beneficial than any advice you get on an Internet forum.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    [QUOTE=egrant5329;1058220]He's probably snoring so loud it keeps the other campers awake on the other side of the mountain!

It's not snoring, I am making the Dreaded Call Of The Yeti. This keeps bears away...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast