Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HackedPack Hammock

Lightbulb HackedPack: The Hammock-Backpack an awesome Kickstarter that is currently underway.

Hi Everyone,

We are new to the Hammock Forums. One of our Facebook page members pointed us in this direction, and we couldn't be happier. This place seems pretty awesome. (I'll put the Kickstarter link here at the top so you don't have to dig for it http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ckpack?ref=HFN)

I starter hammocking a little over two years ago, and I just fell in love with with it. I was the kind of guy who carried his hammock with him everywhere he went just in case there was a chance for some good hammocking during the day. The only problem was that my hammock took up a lot of room in my pack and also caused papers to get rumpled or crushed. Not only that, but I would often forget to bring my hammock with me only to discover that some class or meeting that day got canceled. Instead of hammocking at one of my favorite spots on campus I would end up just go sitting at the coffee bar.

I'm a forgetful but resourceful guy (Eagle Scout btw). So after about six months of this, I decided I needed to solve this problem. After some trial and error, I came up with "The Hammock-Backpack".

It's a really simple idea. Instead of keeping the hammock inside the main bag, it sits tucked away between the ventilation mesh and the back of the bag. In my prototypes I have a hand sewn flap which keeps everything hidden away and clean looking.

The bag basically rides on the hammock so it's not 'load baring' and is as safe as your setup would be without the bag.

I used mine for over a year. Took it with me all over the world and hammocked in some amazing spots. One day a friend asked me if I could make him one too. As soon as I got to his house with the second one we went to go try it out. He liked it as much as I liked mine. That day we shook hands and decided to do a Kickstarter to raise funds for a first production run of "The Hammock-Backpack."

That was about 3 months ago. Since then we have been working really hard to set up our website and our Kickstarter. We have been in touch with a lot of local manufactures to see if we could find any small producers who would be willing to do micro orders of high quality hammocks and modified day trekking backpacks. This was the hardest part (most producers won't even consider an order of less than 1000 units), but in the end we found two awesome guys that own small factories (less than 10 people at the Hammock place) not to far from our home in Nanjing.

Our Kickstarter has been up and running for just over 2 weeks now. We are fully funded and are on our way to some awesome stretch goals (like tree friendly HackedPack suspension straps). We are really excited about this project. If our first project nets us any really profit (not likly at the moment) we may try to do more than just this first edition, but for now this might be your first and last chance to own a Hammock-Backpack and support some young hammockers in their first venture into the business world.

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions please don't hesitate to ask. However, by forewarned I may not be able to respond right away respond because of the time zone I'm in.

Our Kickstarter can be found at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ckpack?ref=HFN

TL;dr Awesome hammock accessory, a backpack with a special pouch that has a hidden hammock inside. Never forget your hammock and never worry about where to put your bag again.
    -Nick Scroggs, inventor of "The Hammock-Backpack" and co-founder of HackedPack

www.HackedPack.com

www.facebook.com/HammockBackpack

Check out or currently funding Kickstarter at
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ckpack?ref=HFN

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    A very interesting product idea. I wish you success, and your Kickstarter campaign looks like you are well on your way. You might want to visit the /r/Hammocks/ subreddit too.

Hammock
    HackedPack Hammock
    Thanks octothorpesarus. I'm really proud of it. It's a simple idea, but it works really well.

I'm actually an avid redditor (mostly in r/ChineseLanguage and r/hammocks). The mod over at r/hammocks is an awesome guy and really nice. He even put a link to our Kickstarter on the sidebar.

We are working hard to get a great product at an awesome price to our Kickstarer backers.

We appreciate the kind words and helpful tips

www.HackedPack.com

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    A few things...... neat idea tho.
    I would worry that the hammock would not
    Lay flat against the wearers back.
    It would need to be packed perfectly.

Second, the cost seems very high.
    About 100 bucks for a pack and hammock.
    Most people need a custom pack. It would
    be difficult to step into the pack world.

Good job on Eagle....me too btw.
    I am not saying that it can't work, these are
    just the questions I see. As you spend time
    here you will see that many are very selective
    about every part of their hammock, especially
    weight and suspension. Keep these two in
    mind and think about adding a ridgeline.

Check out whoopie slings also.

Hammock
    HackedPack Hammock
    Hi Trambo,

Thanks for the advice.

The hammock is really easy to put away. You just unclip it from the foot end and shove it into the pocket. There is no real 'packing.' A few pats from the hand and its basically flat. I wear mine around all day everyday and most of the time don't even notice it is there until I need it. For example, yesterday was my fiancée's birthday and I took her to the aquarium. When we got out we decided it would be nice to hammock for a half hour to rest our feet before the walk back to the subway.

We know that most hammockers and hikers are serious about their gear. It's a tough market to break into, but we think we are offering a pretty good deal. We are getting the hammocks custom made to be longer and wider than most hammocks out there. Over 3 meters long and 1.5 wide. They are made from high quality parachute nylon and are triple stitched. We are also providing a pair of tree friendly suspension straps. Each strap will be over 3 meters long, support over 200 lbs, and have a ton of clip on points. The backpack, will be a day hike style backpack specially modified to hide the hammock. When you factor in shipping and our own final assembly we thought $110 was a reasonable price. For $135 we include and extra hammock with the accompanying straps.

We know it is not perfect for everyone, but our target is more of the casual hammockers that like to get together on launch breaks for impromptu hammock sessions or students that like to study out doors. It is also awesome on vacation. Every time I go traveling I use my Hammock-Backpack more than I ever could have imagined. We are also interested in getting people hammocking that have never tried it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo.aka.sail1987 View Post
    Good job on Eagle....me too btw.
    I am not saying that it can't work, these are
    just the questions I see. As you spend time
    here you will see that many are very selective
    about every part of their hammock, especially
    weight and suspension. Keep these two in
    mind and think about adding a ridgeline.

Check out whoopie slings also.
    Congrats to you too on your Eagle.
    One of the main reasons we are here, (besides because we too love hammocks) is because we want to hear the opinions of the very selective Hammock Forums members.
    We actually have some more interesting 'pack hacks' in mind for stretch goals. A ridge line is something we are seriously considering, just not sure what order the stretch goals will come in.
    I have heard a lot about these whoopsie slings. What's so good about them? Where can I get one? And can I make them myself?

www.HackedPack.com

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Yes you can diy whoopie slings. Think of a mix of a
    Chinese finger trap and a tauntline hitch. Its great.

Since I worried of the flatness against the back,
    perhaps you should include some info about that.

Ridgelines help people get the lay they want and
    whoopies make it easier. Have you thought of a
    double hammock? I bring this up because many
    want a hammock just for a lounge or nap, and
    you can appeal to the couple's market.

Many here want ultralight, that is even harder to
    break into, especially with a standard pack.

Good Luck.... HF is a great place to find some help.
    Ship a prototype out to Shug and Dutch
    They will give you some of the best feedback,
    and maybe Shug can play a mandolin about
    your pack if he likes it.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Whoopie Slings are a form of lightweight adjustable suspension that allows one to fine-tune one's hang. You can buy a set from one of the cottage vendors here on HF or you can make yourself a set from Amsteel.

Whoopie Slings

One downside is that they add a bit of complexity to your suspension system which may not be desirable for your application.

I searched /r/Hammocks but failed to notice the ad! Guess my built-in ad filter is working.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Nice idea. Most hangers in the US use straps instead of ropes as the straps are perceived to be more tree friendly.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Good luck with your venture.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH, tablecloth, Peruvian
    Good luck! Great idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast