Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With 26" wide you might not need any shoulder protection. And if you do, a SPE isn't too tough to make. Ed might even be persuaded to make you a custom one...or at least add another panel of spandex to the one you have.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

The Exped DownMat 9 fits just dandy inside the SPE 4x4. With the Exped DownMat 9 and the 8 5" x 20" wings, I can actually pack my bag! That 3/4" ccf, even though it was super warm, is 3 times the volume packed of the Exped. In its compression bag with pillow and pump it is like 6" x 9". I think that the ccf I have is only good for car camping and such, it's just too much meat to lug around.

I'll have some pics of the new set up once my tarp comes in and I figure out how to get the small one off the Clarks and still keep a solid ridge line.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino-lfl View Post
    I ordered the Exped DownMat™ 9 which is: Dimensions: 70 in. x 20 in. x 3.5 in. I e-mailed Speer to and he said it was the same thing he used (well he uses the Exped DownMat™ 7 which is shorter and thinner) but it should still fit. I think the SPE can have something 3.3 to 4" in height, and I'm not going to inflate the thing all the way. Speer said it was the best warmth to weight to pack size insulation you could get. Exped DownMat™ 9 has an R-value of 8.0.

Oh, 20in wide rather than 26? Yeah, that will work. And it should be good below zero? I just hope it will hold up and not leak under the unique hammock stresses. If I can ever feel assured of that, or at least the ability to repair in the field, I may well go this route someday, Exped DM 7 or 9 or Stephenson Warmlight DAM. It just seems like it would be the most warmth for the least weight and bulk, also great for ground use.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Oh, 20in wide rather than 26? Yeah, that will work. And it should be good below zero? I just hope it will hold up and not leak under the unique hammock stresses. If I can ever feel assured of that, or at least the ability to repair in the field, I may well go this route someday, Exped DM 7 or 9 or Stephenson Warmlight DAM. It just seems like it would be the most warmth for the least weight and bulk, also great for ground use.
    Bill
    I put memory foam covers over the 2 air inlets so they don't rub against the hammock body directly. With an R-value of 8.0 and packing up to a little bigger then a football (and it comes with a repair kit), this thing is (and I've said this before) like sleeping on a bed of super hot naked virgin cheerleaders.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567