Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    True - that might be a good way to handle it. And if you did it in sections, you could shape it like a big sit pad for day use. Just have to make sure the pad folds the right way when you're laying on it, so the cut isn't "open" to the bottom, leaving only a layer of duct tape between you and the hammock.

Of course, with the extra width of that pad, he could also make two 20"x75" pads, then put them side-by-side lengthwise in the pad pocket. Overlap them a few inches down the centerline and it'll work.

Depending on the material, there might be buckling/pressure point issues no matter how it's used. Interested in hearing about that, too.

Rhino - please don't feel like I'm being too critical...that's not my intent. You're posting your system and we're all trying to identify challenges that will need to be addressed, possible ways to address them, or alternate methods that avoid those challenges altogether. The intent is to share info and help folks find a good system that works for them - so you can be more comfortable and happier in the woods. We're not trying to discourage you from thinking outside the box - that's how new systems are invented!

So we're all serious when we ask you to post pics and report back details. Whether it works out or not, your results will be considered valuable info here. And no one will poke you in the eye or say, "I told you so!" (At least not without smilies!! We're pretty good-natured here.)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i try to let the others know what works & what doesn't work. but my failure may work better for someone else because they did something different.
    that's the only way to find out what's going to actually serve us well on the trail
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    a thicker pad could be cut, duct taped & folded like a... whatcha call that pad you got blackbishiop???
    or a sectioned sleeve could be made to hold 3 or 4 sections of thicker pad... if the extra thickness turned out to be worth it.
    You mean the Z-rest? Yeah...the accordion thing could work. Might be pretty bulky, but a pad that thick would be bulky any way you packed it I guess.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    You mean the Z-rest? Yeah...the accordion thing could work. Might be pretty bulky, but a pad that thick would be bulky any way you packed it I guess.
    yeah... Z-rest... that's what i was trying to think of
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Rhino - please don't feel like I'm being too critical...that's not my intent. You're posting your system and we're all trying to identify challenges that will need to be addressed, possible ways to address them, or alternate methods that avoid those challenges altogether. The intent is to share info and help folks find a good system that works for them - so you can be more comfortable and happier in the woods. We're not trying to discourage you from thinking outside the box - that's how new systems are invented!

So we're all serious when we ask you to post pics and report back details. Whether it works out or not, your results will be considered valuable info here. And no one will poke you in the eye or say, "I told you so!" (At least not without smilies!! We're pretty good-natured here.)
    Amen! Pads is my thing!! For me, they are the limiting factor, i.e., how cold can I go? There's lots of warm pads and systems but weight, size when packed, ease of use, cost, etc., are concerns. I'm always searching for the Golden Fleece, i.e., the Perfect Hammock Pad.

FB

Got my 3/4" 57X82 ccfp today!

Got my 3/4" 57X82 ccfp today and it is a whopper. The material is real nice, firm but flexible. The whole pad weighs 11lbs, but I intend to put it up quite a bit, but I'm not sure how yet. I'm thinking about cutting a 37x82 piece and then fitting that into the hammock and trimming it for fit and support, it will probably end up looking like a mummy sleeping bag profile. I'll use the rest to stuff in my SPE and see how that feels. I'll try them separate and together in my CJH NA.

I did sleep on the pad on my floor last night and it held heat like crazy, thought it was going to cook me. The insulation properties on this foam are great, your hand gets warm just holding it lol.

Pics!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boy! Was my estimate off!! I was expecting 40+ ounces . Keep us posted on your progress.

FB

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm guessing he means 1.1 lbs., not 11 lbs?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    11 pounds? Wow that's heavy. Even a 37x82 piece is gonna weigh like 5-6 lbs and a standard size pad (20x72) would probaly be 2-3 lbs. If it's as good as you say it may eliminate the need for an under quilt.

How packable is that foam?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I'm guessing he means 1.1 lbs., not 11 lbs?

No, the shipping weight for the entire 57"x82" 3/4 medium firmness pad was 11 lbs according to the manufacturer, although that included a lot of packing wrap, bubble and plastic. I'm still going to say that the entire pad is at least 10 lbs. But remember, it is bigger then a queen size bed, the whole thing isn't going in the hammock lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast