Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx 20*

Best tarp over a ridgerunner?

What are the best tarps that would work for hanging over a WBRR and why?

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    I am just a noob and only recently placed an order for a Warbonnet Ridge Runner, but, I decided to go with a WB Cloudburst tarp. Its the tarp that WB says works best with the Ridge Runner. It also has the side pullouts positioned relative to the spacing of the spreader bars, allowing more room and reducing potential damage to tarps that may be cause by spreader bars.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What Tuckahoe said is correct. I own a WBRR and cloudburst and they work great together. Especially when you use the side panel pullouts. I also own a maccat deluxe tarp and the results are not nearly as clean, asthetically pleaseing and practical for coverage. You can get hex cut tarps to work but the CB covers better. I suppose you could have joe from Zpacks make you a rectangular tarp like the CB but from cuben instead of sil, would probably save 8oz or more. I'm contemplating doing this.
    -James

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I just slept under a Tadpole with a 12' RL from Wilderness Logics and it rained and was windy all nite. Rain gague is registering 3/4 inch and was high and dry in RR and was amazed at the coverage it provided for the test as I have only had this tarp a week now. It provides alittle more coverage on the sides (a few inches each side) than my cuben tarps with 12' RL from HG. Not sure of the total weight but guessing 12-13 oz with all the tieouts on it and will measure it later on. If you get the bigger tarps you will definitely have a lot more coverage. I am hearing WL is coming out with a set of doors for this tarp sometime in the immediate future.

Night before last had the setup running east to west..knowing the weather was coming in from the west,,I changed out the setup and ran the tarp and RR north to south and in looking for tarp coverage, play the weather in your setup. Helps a bunch for coverage. If I needed to close one end off, I also have a Equniox brown 8 oz poncho that I could have rigged over one end to close it off. So there is lots of options, but setup is also super helpful in a total coverage in getting the best protection of your gear.

I added this pic, and if you notice the one end,,closed it off with a Equinox 8 oz brown poncho for a door panel that covered the end perfectly for end coverage on the Tadpole.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Acer; 07-28-2013 at 07:11.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The issue is the spreader bars coming into contact with the tarp. The Cloudburst is recommended for the RR because the side pullout align with the spreader bars so when deployed there is enough space for the spreader bars to clear the tarp. Any tarp can work as long as you are careful and pitch the sides far enough away. If you want to be able to pitch the sides low and your tarp does not have any pullouts or the pullouts are not in the ideal locations you could sew some new pullouts or get some grip clips or the Dutch's clip on tarp outs and put them on the tarp where the spreader bars are.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx 20*
    Thank you for all the replies. Just the kind of info I was looking for.

I used a Wilderness Logics Bullfrog tarp with a 11' rl last weekend with my wbrr and it was a perfect combination.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx 20*
    Good to know about the bullfrog. I'm deciding between the CB or bullfrog. Just made my decision a lot harder.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I have the WBRR and Superfly combination. I initially thought the side pull outs being lower on the Cloudburst would be better. However, now that I cannibalized an old tent and used the poles to create 2 over-the-top struts for the side pull outs, I'm glad I got the SF. I like the built-in doors.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I went with the SF for my RR. I have not received either of them yet.....this waiting thing is killing me.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast