Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Sorry, Pizza beat me to it. (That darn work always gets in the way)
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I prefer two lines pulling out, not only is it less line but things tend to get twisted in a stuff sack. All those attachment points don't help matters,
    i do it the same way as "the worlds greatest hiker"

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

I switched from a CRL to two lines about a year ago. I don't winter camp in areas with snow so I can't speak to the advantage of a CRL in that scenario. I have hung on some nights with wind gusts of 40 + mph and haven't had any problems.
    I did have CRL snap in similar conditions. I was never able to determine the cause of the failure. May have been defective ZingIt. Not sure! I was hanging between two large pines and I suppose they could have swayed enough to snap the line! If that's even possible! To be safe I ordered another roll of ZingIt and have had no further issues!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I started off using a CRL with a pair of toggles on Prusiks to attach my tarp (with the ridge line either above or below the tarp). When I rigged up a new Toxaway tarp for my girlfriend last year, I tried the two-line method. I kind of liked it, and switched my tarp rigging to it. Sometimes I did miss having the CRL under the tarp for hanging small items out of the weather, so I started wondering if I might want to go back to a CRL.

Since I bought my 11' WBBB XLC, I don't have as much excess tarp coverage and on a couple of occasions I've found myself needing to adjust the tarp after it was pitched to get it centered over the hammock. This is slightly more of a chore with the two individual lines.

So, when I got home from work today, I rigged up one of the CRL set-ups where the ridge line passes through the tarp ridge loops, around the trees, and then is clipped onto the tarp ridge loops so the tarp can be easily moved after it is pitched to center it over the hammock. This works great, but I don't know if I like the cons I find with this system: 1) You end up having to deal with a l-o-n-g piece of cord. The alternatives are to leave it on the tarp and deal with the possible tangles (I tried it on a Superfly which already has rigging in place to keep the doors tied back when not in use, so there's a bigger tangle possibility). 2) If you remove the line for neater storage, you have to thread it through the tarp ridge loops and fuss with the hardware, making it a longer process to set up the tarp. I like the tarp set-up to be quick and simple and although threading the line, etc., may take a little bit longer than just deploying two attached single lines, the time that might be saved centering the tarp would probably make up for it.

I guess I'm going to bring both systems with me this summer and fall and decide which I prefer....

Take it easy,
    desmobob

I do the same as Pizza described except use a nite-ize figure 9 .to tie off the ridge line.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post

So, when I got home from work today, I rigged up one of the CRL set-ups where the ridge line passes through the tarp ridge loops, around the trees, and then is clipped onto the tarp ridge loops so the tarp can be easily moved after it is pitched to center it over the hammock. This works great, but I don't know if I like the cons I find with this system: 1) You end up having to deal with a l-o-n-g piece of cord. The alternatives are to leave it on the tarp and deal with the possible tangles (I tried it on a Superfly which already has rigging in place to keep the doors tied back when not in use, so there's a bigger tangle possibility). 2) If you remove the line for neater storage, you have to thread it through the tarp ridge loops and fuss with the hardware, making it a longer process to set up the tarp. I like the tarp set-up to be quick and simple and although threading the line, etc., may take a little bit longer than just deploying two attached single lines, the time that might be saved centering the tarp would probably make up for it.

I guess I'm going to bring both systems with me this summer and fall and decide which I prefer....

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    I added one more ingredient to the mix and tried the continuous/adjustable set-up this weekend: a set of Mountaingoat snakeskins. The snakeskins allowed me to leave all the rigging in place with virtually no risk of tangles. The line-storage pockets in the ends of the 'skins are really handy.

It seems that I'm preferring the CRL set up in the "adjustable mode" as described and wonderfully illustrated by dejoha, here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=63271

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tarp skins are one of the best things I have added to my setup. I made mine outa Cuban goodness

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Continuous Ridgeline or not

Any thoughts on getting a zingit CRL with a fly stinger to work nicely with Hennessy snakeskins? I don't see a good way to bundle it up. I might have to buy some Mountaingoat skins with pockets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    With the nearly constant rainfall we've had in WNC, all my backpacking has been very soggy and I'm glad to make my CRL on my tarp serve a s a clothesline, also. I like the idea of two smaller lines on both ends and leaving them attached, does seem like it would go up nice and smooth. I feel as though I have finally gotten a pretty good feel for locating trees the right distance from each other

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You should try it and decide for yourself.

Me personally, I don't have much use for them. They are just one more thing to deal with and I don't see any advantage to them that would be worth the extra effort. The one exception to that is setting up when it is windy. In those situations, they are wonderful!

I tried it for a couple of months and decided it was not for me. But, you never know until you try.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast