Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad plus reflectix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammocking at Grayson - allowed?

I saw the details on the Fall hang at Grayson and it made me think about a call I made to the folks there where a young lady suggested I could hammock camp but "not from the trees". Is the Fall hang an exception or can we indeed hang at the park? Thanks.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The young lady you spoke with is mistaken. HF holds not one but two hangouts there a year, including the members that conduct a hammock use setup for members of the public to see at the fall festival.

Also, for a few years now the proceeds of raffles held at each hangout there has been donated to the Friends of Grayson Highlands organization, that makes regular improvements to the park.

HF has a longstanding and positive relationship with the staff there. Hanging has never been an issue.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    You know, I don't want to use a word as dirty as "lobbyist" but at some point the industry will be big enough (if not already) to justify having a small group that promotes the hobby. Collect dues from participating companies, spread the word on safe tree hanging, maybe get a university with a strong forestry and or botany division to test the damage (or lack there of) straps do to trees. Perhaps Warbonnet, Dutch and Shug should be wining and dining Dave Scott out in the woods.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad plus reflectix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great, thanks for the replies. As of right now I am traveling during the Fall Hang, though I am hoping it gets cancelled (the travel, not the hang!). But I hope to get to the park at least once this year. Any thoughts on campsite selection?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Hones100 View Post
    Great, thanks for the replies. As of right now I am traveling during the Fall Hang, though I am hoping it gets cancelled (the travel, not the hang!). But I hope to get to the park at least once this year. Any thoughts on campsite selection?
    I would recommend parking at the hiker lot and then doing some trails out to the AT or one of the other trails into the back country. Plenty of places to hang in the out back. Wise and Thomas Knob shelters on the AT are inside or just outside the park. Thomas Knob shelter site is not very good for hanging. Trees too small and too thick. Check with the rangers at the park for suggestions on which trails would have the best opportunities at the time you plan to be there. Don't forget to leave an itinerary with the park office if you are traveling alone. I don't remember the number of days you can park in the hiker lot but that info is probably on the website.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Images
    The area between the western wend of Pine Mt. and Crest and Thomas Knob looked very promising in many of the west established camps. Once you get past Thomas Knob on the AT, Rockdawg69 is right. Heading southwest there's nothing that looks good till you get to the spur trail out to the horse trails. This isn't on the map, but its about 36.653271,-81.549375 along the ridge that extends south of Rogers. There was a large area at this intersection with many fire rings and lots of trees.

• + New Posts