dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Breathable fabrics?

Hey guys viper here! I'm confused at the whole brew lee fabrics thing, how can like silnylon be breathable but waterproof? What makes something breathable or not? I guess I'm not understanding something.
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    truly _waterproof_ fabrics are coated. That fills up all the pores in the fabric and does not allow _anything_ through. Sil is impregnated. The pores are still open but off such a small size that only air and vapor are allowed through. Sil has been known to mist in heavy rains as the drops disperse on impact. But the surface tension of the water drops keep them from penetrating the fabric. It's neat stuff.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    truly _waterproof_ fabrics are coated. That fills up all the pores in the fabric and does not allow _anything_ through. Sil is impregnated. The pores are still open but off such a small size that only air and vapor are allowed through. Sil has been known to mist in heavy rains as the drops disperse on impact. But the surface tension of the water drops keep them from penetrating the fabric. It's neat stuff.

Alrighty I went and checked it out I think I may understand now thank you!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Two different things. Sil would not fall in the breathable fabric category. It's a highly water resistant fabric in most cases....to varying degrees depending on the actual coating process and quality of work done.

Breathable fabrics are not coated in any way, other than possible DRW coatings.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Two different things. Sil would not fall in the breathable fabric category. It's a highly water resistant fabric in most cases....to varying degrees depending on the actual coating process and quality of work done.

Breathable fabrics are not coated in any way, other than possible DRW coatings.
    Not to dispute your knowledge of fabrics, which I know to be superb... I have seen places where sil is referred to as a "breathable" fabric. I don't remember where I saw it but I do remember I considered it to be a reliable source. My first thought was to respond as you did but then I remembered having seen those references. I also know that sil will mist under heavy rains and it will not hold water under pressure, such as a water carrier. I also know that sil is not truly a "coated" fabric but rather the silicon is impregnated into the yarns. Thus one difference between the DIY "sil" and the commercially manufactured silnyls available.

I suspect sil is one of those strange hybrid technical fabrics with does not follow usual and typical characteristics. Admittedly, quality differences are found between different manufacturers.

Edit: Upon deeper research I have found references to both "silicon impregnated nylon" and "silicon coated nylon" as well as an indication they are two different beasties. Perhaps this is the reason we seem to be talking at cross purposes. In my above response I was referring to "silicon impregnated nylon" and that is what I have seen indicated as breathable. Thus you would be right on target in saying that "silicon coated nylon" would _not_ be a breathable fabric.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 07-24-2013 at 21:41.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Oh alrighty That makes more since now! Perfect thank you guys! I hope I didn't make a wrong choice going with sil nylon :/
    Paragon Fury

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Oh alrighty That makes more since now! Perfect thank you guys! I hope I didn't make a wrong choice going with sil nylon :/
    I would not make UQ's or hammocks out of Sil. Though technically breathable, they'll breathe so poorly that I personally would be a sweat ball by morning.

Tarps: yes... Maybe an UQ protector if you have lots, or a poncho...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Yah my tarp is silnylon and the hammock untreated ripstop nylon
    Paragon Fury

• + New Posts