Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Pardon the beginner question but I recently purchased my first hammock (Blackbird w/ double bottom) and was wondering if these pads will fit between the two bottom layers ? Are they only designed to be used inside a sleeping bag or inside the hammock? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Txmiller View Post
    Pardon the beginner question but I recently purchased my first hammock (Blackbird w/ double bottom) and was wondering if these pads will fit between the two bottom layers ? Are they only designed to be used inside a sleeping bag or inside the hammock? Thanks
    They'll fit between the two layers. Watch Shug's video on using air pads with a hammock - his tip is to not inflate it all the way full. I've tried this and worked wonders. I made the rookie mistake my first time out with an air pad and blowing it till it was full and it kept moving around, slipping, and sliding. If it's not full, it has a chance to contour around your body.

The Static V Insulated Lux even fits between the layers of a Warbonnet Ridgerunner. The pad bends into a half pipe shape pretty nicely. In side sleeping mode, both my back and my knees were insulated (Lux version). Great pad!

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    Mine is orange
    Well that's the insulated one. But you already knew that...

I've taken mine down to 37 several times. But I will admit that when I strayed off the Klymit it got chilly. That's why I made an SPE for my Klymit. It will easily get me down to 30f.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    Well that's the insulated one. But you already knew that...

I've taken mine down to 37 several times. But I will admit that when I strayed off the Klymit it got chilly. That's why I made an SPE for my Klymit. It will easily get me down to 30f.
    My hopes were it would take me to 0, not to 30f... Well, my expectations were my problems, not Klymit. But then again, when people say 'it's good for winter camping' they should explain if it's winter in the South with some rain, or in the north with a little bit more winterish temperatures.

Are most of you posting these temps with the Klymit V using any sort of underquilts? I'll be hammocking in Sedona this mid-March and only have an Eno Doublenest and temps go down to 45. Looking for an affordable option, between the Ember underquilt or an air pad like this, and going to invest in some sort of affordable $40ish sleeping bag.

I'm not sure which of the 3 models I should go with for my doublenest. Is there a substantial difference in insulation abilities between the non-insulated, insulated, and Lux models? Any recommendations on an entry-level sleeping bag for a 6' 155lb dude are welcome as well!

Man, it looks like there's a standard and insulated versions of the larger Lux pad as well. Would that lower R-value of the non-insulated pad be alright for 40 degrees?
    Last edited by CottonTM; 02-13-2016 at 02:34.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    You definitely need an insulated one. Lux would be better if car camping, but regular one is way cheaper on amazon.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    You definitely need an insulated one. Lux would be better if car camping, but regular one is way cheaper on amazon.
    Agreed about getting the insulated version. Don't waste money on the other versions. I bought the Insulated Luxe one for $65 on ebay. It was refurbished and shipped directly from Klymit. You won't need an UQ at 45f with an insulated Klymit. Just know that your range of movement will limited in order to stay warm on the air pad.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    Agreed about getting the insulated version. Don't waste money on the other versions. I bought the Insulated Luxe one for $65 on ebay. It was refurbished and shipped directly from Klymit. You won't need an UQ at 45f with an insulated Klymit. Just know that your range of movement will limited in order to stay warm on the air pad.
    Gotcha. I sprung for the Insulated Lux for $70 refurbished on eBay, I should have offered a little bit less haha! Do you think that I'll be alright with my generic polyfilled sleeping bag, coupled with the lux in my double nest for 45 degrees? I'll probably bring along a blanket and I suppose I can always layer up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CottonTM View Post
    Gotcha. I sprung for the Insulated Lux for $70 refurbished on eBay, I should have offered a little bit less haha! Do you think that I'll be alright with my generic polyfilled sleeping bag, coupled with the lux in my double nest for 45 degrees? I'll probably bring along a blanket and I suppose I can always layer up.
    You should be good with that setup. One suggestion is to try it at home in the backyard before the trip to Sedona. If you have a problem you can always bail out, go back inside and look towards plan b...

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast