Whoopie larksheaded to hammock: Safe?

I got a BIAS hammock with sewn channel ends that can be seen here:

http://www.buttinasling.com/riin.html

I'm interested in minimizing the components in my system. Therefore, I've removed the continuous loop that shipped with the hammock and larksheaded the fixed eye end of a 7/64" amsteel blue whoopie sling directly into the channel, making the whoopies and the hammock permanently attached. I think the continuous loop was made out of 1/8" amsteel blue.

I've never hammock camped before, so I have to ask - is this safe? I'm concerned about the smaller diameter rope passing through the channel which might concentrate the forces on the hammock's channel. It seems like the larksheaded whoopie pinches the hammock end more tightly than the previously installed larksheaded continuous loop did.

I tried setting it up, hanging in it, and taking it down, and it went okay. I'm just worried about long term failure. Safety aside, is there any reason I shouldn't permanently attach the whoopie sling to the hammock for practicality's sake?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    No worries. The larkshead compresses the material that there really isn't that much friction. Lots of people have whoopies permanently attached as you have done. Be aware of water running down the sling to your hammock. With the continuous loop and some hardware there is a drip stop. The tail of the sling can act as a drip string but tying a small bit of cotton shoelace would keep water away from your hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Check out the install videos at whoopieslings.com
    http://whoopieslings.com/Videos.html

I have my GT dbl setup with whoopies soft shackled to my tree straps, tree straps have dutch clips and I coldn't be happier.

Whoopies were installed per Stu's video.

My soft shackle/nacrabiner out of 7/64ths amsteel wih dyneema pull in orange.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    No worries. The larkshead compresses the material that there really isn't that much friction. Lots of people have whoopies permanently attached as you have done. Be aware of water running down the sling to your hammock. With the continuous loop and some hardware there is a drip stop. The tail of the sling can act as a drip string but tying a small bit of cotton shoelace would keep water away from your hammock.
    I had forgotten about stopping drips. Thank you for the reminder. I will have to run some experiments and see what I can get away with.

Won't hurt

Larks heading a whoopie sling on won't hurt it a bit. I use a continuous loop with a diamond knot larksheaded on my hammock. I connect to my whoopie sling with a fixed eye loop that has a whipping knot on it.

• + New Posts