WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Torn on trying the RidgeRunner

So, I have owned a HH Asym, a WBBB 1.7 and an old pre-GT Skeeter Beeter Pro (sold the HH and WBBB).

I'm getting back into backpacking and hammocking and have spent the past week or two refining my gear options and getting ready for the fall/winter season (and ultimately a week or 2 trip on the AT next year).

I have upgraded the suspension on my SBP and added a ridgeline to it and was thinking I'd just use that, until I saw that WB came out with the Ridge Runner... it looks SO comfortable with that near perfectly flat lay.. perfect for a primarily side or stomach sleeper.

Now I'm torn on if I want to give the RR a try, and go ahead and get a 20deg lynx to go with it.

I realize here on HF, the used gear market is quite good and if it ends up I can't stand it, I can always sale it.

I guess I just want to be sure that the RR is "the right option" for a side/stomach sleeper in a normal bed.

I've read through the WB sub-forum here and have read nothing but rave reviews for the RR, but not a lot in way of actual sleep comfort, etc for stomach/side sleepers.

Any of you that have taken your RR into the field have any longer term opinions?

Also, any of you with the RR using a HG cuben fiber tarp per chance? How's that working out with the the RR?

Thanks and sorry for the rambling

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Im coming to you from the view point of sleeping in my ridge runner every night.
    The rr is amazing as far as confort goes. Sleeping on your side or stomach can be very comfy when you find your sweet spot,mine is all the way to the left side of the hammock with my arm in the saddle bag,with legs all the way to the right with my feet in the foot end saddle bag.
    The rr has held up to my take no mercy treatment of it with no damage or wear so far,Brandon makes a fine product for sure.
    Take the gamble its worth the price.
    Best of luck to you.
    P.S the 12 ridge line cuben fiber tarp is what works well for me ,hammock gear is top of the line.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I bet you'd find one near you that you could try...

My daughter doesn't like hammocks, but when I setup my RR, she exclaimed "It's like laying on a cloud!" and spent the night in the back yard...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    The lay in the RR is so much different than any of my gathered end hammocks it's kind of hard to describe. While the gathered ends wrap up around and obscure my view the RR lays FLAT and the sides are low enough to see out for maybe 100 degrees on each side. The lay reminds me more of sleeping on a miltary cot hanging in mid air than a hammock. As you've said, you'll just have to try one out. If you don't like it I can't imagine you'll have any difficulty finding it a new home. I picked mine up back around Christmas when they went on sale for maybe $25 off. That was enough to push me over the top (and it was an "upgrade" for me so now both my boys have their own hammocks).

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks guys, so much for the feedback. I actually just got back from hanging in my backyard in my suspension upgraded SBP (non asym lay) and realized, i NEED the RR

I'm going to go ahead and put my order in.

As you mentioned Zukiguy, if I decide its just not for me, it'll be an easy sale.

UPDATE: so it didn't take much to twist my arm..
    RR and 3s full-length Lynx purchased
    Last edited by defsquad; 07-14-2013 at 14:42.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    I'm a side/stomach sleeper, and just spent 6 nights in my RR. Never had a bad nights sleep and the view from the hammock is awesome..

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Hey I'm a bit on the taller side, 6'5" and I'm a side sleeper. Would the RR be something that might fit me?? Is the RR wide enough to sleep in a semi fetal position??

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Torn on trying the RidgeRunner

I'm a side/stomach sleeper as well. If it helps I can attest to the RR's comfort. I've got about 8 nights in the woods with It now. It's the best sleep I've ever had outside. I found if you put a long/wide pad in the double layer and inflate it about 3/4, you can sleep on your stomach in complete comfort. Picture suspending an airpad in midair and sleeping on it. It's really comfy.

6'5" may be pushing it I think. I'm 6ft and maybe have 4-5" left to spare.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    I tend to sleep super man style, (arm under pillow and my hand near the corner of the hammock) at 5'6, my feet are in the pocket at the foot end.

Remember, if it doesn't work for you, you can easily sell a brand new RR on here for the same price you bought it for or even return it to Brandon for a refund.

The only thing you'd be out, is the time waiting impatiently for it to arrive.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I'm 6'-5", and never had a problem with my RR. I might end up getting another one just for the heck of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast