Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Mayan
    Images

Heavy Duty Ridgepole

So here's where I'm at on a new design...I have a frame made of pvc, it's a great frame and provide a point of attachment, kind of like a hammock chair stand. The problem is the ridgepole. I need a ridgepole that is as strong as a hammock chair shortened ridgepole. It would be better if the ridgepole could be held in the middle only but I'm open to chaining the ends from the point of the stand. I'm not sure if I don't have enough droop or what but my metal pole ridge bends at the metal conduit thread couplings and breaks the pole threads. I could reinforce it like my other stand but that is getting away from the portability and ease of setting it up. I didn't really want to go to a 3 inch pvc pole but just kinda looking for other options. One requirement is that it only have 3 foots sections, so it can be dissembled for travel.
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Photos would be very helpful.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Maybe bamboo?

Quote Originally Posted by toober View Post
    So here's where I'm at on a new design...I have a frame made of pvc, it's a great frame and provide a point of attachment, kind of like a hammock chair stand. The problem is the ridgepole. I need a ridgepole that is as strong as a hammock chair shortened ridgepole. It would be better if the ridgepole could be held in the middle only but I'm open to chaining the ends from the point of the stand. I'm not sure if I don't have enough droop or what but my metal pole ridge bends at the metal conduit thread couplings and breaks the pole threads. I could reinforce it like my other stand but that is getting away from the portability and ease of setting it up. I didn't really want to go to a 3 inch pvc pole but just kinda looking for other options. One requirement is that it only have 3 foots sections, so it can be dissembled for travel.
    Not sure what your working with, but here is mine. 1 1/2" .058 aluminum with 3" sections.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB BB DL XL
    Tarp
    SilNylon (rectngl)
    Insulation
    BA Insulatd Inflat
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images

Ridge Pole

We have a large military surplus store near here. aluminum or fiberglass camoflauge net poles are only $3.00/piece. I use 4 of them but 3 is probably ample. These things will stand up to the forces of any turtle dog stand easily. It was a better and much more economical alternative to chain link fence pole. PM me if you need the telephone number to the store near me. I am sure that they will ship them to you (at their cost of course).

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Please note that this is not a turtle dog stand with direct vertical support on each end. This is more of a hammock chair stand with a single point to hang from. A hammock chair works because the pole is short, lengthen it by 4 to 6 times and you've got a much bigger problem with pole bend. Maybe there needs to be a hammock chair stand with full length laying down hammock challenge?

Z06, where do you get 3 foot aluminum sections that fit into each other without couplings?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If what you are wanting to do is something like this...

center mount ridgepole.jpg

...nothing discussed above will be anywhere near strong enough.

It will require a very strong (read very heavy) and stiff material. 3" heavy wall steel pipe comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by toober View Post
    Please note that this is not a turtle dog stand with direct vertical support on each end. This is more of a hammock chair stand with a single point to hang from. A hammock chair works because the pole is short, lengthen it by 4 to 6 times and you've got a much bigger problem with pole bend. Maybe there needs to be a hammock chair stand with full length laying down hammock challenge?

Z06, where do you get 3 foot aluminum sections that fit into each other without couplings?
    I cut the tubes and used short sections of 1 3/8" tubing to join with snap buttons. If you are trying to do something like drawn by gmcttr then these will not work.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Yes, that is a great pic! Either hang on the middle only like the pic or run chains to each end of the pole (what i've already tried)

Hammock
    DIY 1.5D Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY CC hex
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DC, DB, WS
    3" heavywall steel pipe is rediculously overkill for this. The issue mostly is rigidity as the load is very spread out across the bar. 2"x2"x1/4" steel square tube should be easily enough for this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast