Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas

Good weight?

Hey guys,

I am still very new to this world of hammocks so there is much I don't know. I see a lot of people worried about their weight and how to shave the ounces. I recently bought some ENO gear to complete my camping needs and took inventory of the weight.

Some of these might be off because things like carabiners might weigh more/less than I think but its an estimate.

DN Hammock ~20 oz
    Superfly Tarp ~22 oz
    Guardian Bug Net ~16 oz
    ParaPillow ~10 oz
    Atlas Straps ~11 oz
    Stakes ~1.6 oz
    Carabiners ~2 oz
    Ozark Cocoon SBag ~24 oz

= 106.6 oz ~ 6.5 lbs

In my eyes 6.5 lbs for shelter and comfortable sleeping sounds like an awesome weight but its hard to judge without me having it on my back for hours on end. Although this doesn't include food, clothing, water, cooking supplies or even the backpack itself, is this lightweight? Or should I look for weighs to cut back?

Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Lightweight is a very subjective thing. To me 6.5lbs is pretty dang heavy considering my summer base weight is 6lbs. But if you're someone that's used to carrying an 8lb tent then it's pretty lightweight. It's not really about the title of lightweight so much as whether or not you're comfortable carrying that amount of weight for the distances you travel. The only way to answer your question of is this lightweight is to load your pack and hit the trail. If you're comfortable and can hike as far as you want to and are not crawling into camp exhausted and in pain then, yes it's lightweight. If not then you need to cut some weight.

Luckily for you if you do wanna cut weight it'll be very easy. Ditch the atlas straps and get some polyester ones. Ditch the carabiners and go with whoopie slings. Ditch the para pillow, there are way way lighter pillow options. Ditch the guardian and get a Buginator or NanoBuginator. That stuff alone will probably save you 1.5lbs. If you can afford it and really wanna drop the weight ditch all things ENO and look at BIAS or Dream Hammocks. Then ditch the SB and get a TQ. I noticed you don't have any under insulation listed, what are you using for that or is this just your summer setup and you're going without?
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I noticed you don't have any under insulation listed, what are you using for that or is this just your summer setup and you're going without?
    Dang, that was really helpful information! I'll change my set up as time goes on and as I begin to take more serious hikes. But yeah, I didn't get any kind of UQ... Not because I didn't want to but because its an expensive risk in my eyes. I've been looking around on this site and have seen some DIY that I will try out before I buy a good one. So UQs are a winter/fall camping must?

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Typically somewhere around 70* some type of under insulation is needed. Everyone has different thresholds but at some point you gotta have something under you. It can be an UQ or pads, but using pads in a single layer hammock can be frustrating. But until you can afford an UQ, pads will take you as low as you need to go. My first summer in a hammock I carried a fleece blanket and burritoed myself in it, that got me through til the temps got down to 60* or so.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    fleece blanket and burritoed myself in it.
    Yeah so my sleeping bag cocoon should do me good for summer season at least? My plan is to try to make a UQ out of an old cheap sleeping bag I used as a kid. Bad idea?

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Good weight?

It should do you for summer unless the temp is around 70° or below at night. You can make a sleeping bag UQ, but it if you are trying to keep your gear light weight, you will probably want to look at making a down one. Lost Biker makes UQ shells and you can stuff it yourself, if you don't want to tackle sewing one. If you find you need something for summer, you can rig up a poncho liner UQ.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

That's a super heavy setup and doesn't even include an uq.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    That's a super heavy setup and doesn't even include an uq.
    I wonder when I'll realize the weight.. I am just so ENO oriented that I didn't even think to look elsewhere for stuff. How much weight can I get it down to if I still want everything? A hammock, tarp, bugnet, straps, UQ, TQ/SB? Using other companies and/or alternatives?

Thanks guys. Eager to learn

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterwee View Post
    Yeah so my sleeping bag cocoon should do me good for summer season at least? My plan is to try to make a UQ out of an old cheap sleeping bag I used as a kid. Bad idea?
    Not necessarily a bad idea, but using an old cheap sleeping bag will definitely add to your pack weight. I've gone that route, and still use the cheap DIY sleeping bag UQ if I'm car camping or hanging in the back yard, but the weight and bulk make it not worth hauling on backpacking trips. I picked up a cheapo blue CCF pad and bring that instead. Then again, my hammock is DL which makes it a little more bearable.
    Coffee?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Yeah, I just cant imagine anything being any lighter. Im sure its possible but I just cant think of how it can be enough to make an impact.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast