Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterwee View Post
    I wonder when I'll realize the weight.. I am just so ENO oriented that I didn't even think to look elsewhere for stuff. How much weight can I get it down to if I still want everything? A hammock, tarp, bugnet, straps, UQ, TQ/SB? Using other companies and/or alternatives?

Thanks guys. Eager to learn
    My total weight for the things you just listed is 40-42oz depending on which UQ I use. That's about 4lbs less than you and I'm warm, dry and comfortable. IMO ENO is not backpacking oriented, or at least not lightweight backpacking.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterwee View Post
    Yeah, I just cant imagine anything being any lighter. Im sure its possible but I just cant think of how it can be enough to make an impact.
    Well, since you've already purchased the whole setup, you'll likely want to stick with it, right? I do think that 16oz for a bugnet seems a little overkill though, is that from ENO's site?

To give a comparison, here is my combination:

WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl 28oz
    WB Mamajamba 13.5oz
    MEC Y Stakes (6) 2.75oz
    Carabiners (2) 3.1oz
    BPLite 7C SB 19oz
    CCF Pad (1cm x 50cm x 140cm) 7.7oz

Total = 74.0 oz = 4.6 lbs
    Total without SB = 55 oz = 3.4 lbs

The Blackbird has the bugnet and adjustable strap suspension included in the weight of course.

Mine is far from a "lightweight" solution in my opinion, but compared to lugging around my 9 pound Coleman tent, it's the bees knees.

Honestly though, You won't know if you find it too heavy until you get it loaded up in your pack and hike a few miles. With that set up, you can still go light with other pieces of your kit and keep your base weight down to a manageable level pretty easily. My pack weighs almost 6 pounds on it's own and on my last 2 night trip with food and water I was right around 26 pounds.

Then again, I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs... so there are far better ways for me to be shedding weight than in my kit, if you follow my meaning.
    Coffee?

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Good weight?

It just depends on how important to you is it to get your pack as light as possible. There are those who can show you how to have a super light weight setup. I am NOT that person, haha. I definitely will carry a little more weight in exchange for lots of comfort. That's not to say that ultralight weight gear is uncomfortable, it can be very comfy if it meets your needs. If I were doing lots of backpacking, my whole setup would be different. If you want to go ultralight, I think you must branch out from the ENO mindset. Most ENO products are good, but not light weight in comparison to others. From what I have gathered, to truly go ultralight, every item in your pack must be looked at and decided if this is the lightest option with the benefits I need. All those little ounces and grams saved by choosing something lighter add up to a lighter pack. It's a process. Enjoy the journey.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thanks so much guys. Im excited to see where this journey takes me! In due time I will have an awesome set up but for my age, 19, and fitness level, I think a few extra pounds should go close to unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I do think that 16oz for a bugnet seems a little overkill though, is that from ENO's site?
    Yeah, all of the items I listed came from the site except the carabiners in which I just guessed. Think they might be lighter than the site says or heavier?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The advice that SwinginIt offered in post #2 is great because it gives you almost 25% weight savings from your present gear, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Wait on underquilts until you've tried a cheap pad for a while. The extra bulk of a full length pad may be more of a nuisance than the weight, so some folks use a 3/4 length pad (which is also easier to keep in place - YMMV). You can put your pack or some clothing under your legs and feet, if needed.

Your current setup isn't all that heavy. You'll appreciate any weight savings, but you won't bust your back carrying it as is. You will probably freeze your butt, however. Also, when you get back from your next trip, weigh the extra food you carried but didn't eat.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Good advice! Can't wait to start

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This may give some insight to pad use and such.
    Have fun with your new quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    IMO, i think that weight isnt bad for what youre getting

with a tent, you have, lets just say 8lbs for the tent. then you add a pad to sleep on, a sleeping bag and possibly a footprint, and now youre really heavy and STILL sleeping on the ground.

to me, i can lounge (and sometimes sleep) in just a bare hammock if the conditions are right and am way lighter not to mention much more comfortable.

not to mention im usually lounging while most ground dwellers are still pulling their gear out.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    if you look at the BIAS Buginator, its 8.8oz and i love it for its bottom entry. to me, the ENO and the like (fully enclosed nets) are way more restricting and when i used one, it was too tight of a fit for me to lie correctly. the BIAS is the best net on the market based on what ive used.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You could lose a pound easy by switching out the tarp for something smaller. Given your current insulation, it doesn't look like you'll be doing a lot of winter camping anyway, so get a tarp that isn't designed with winter in mind. Not that I don't absolutely adore my Superflies, but they are the fat-kids in my tarp bin.

You can buy a bugnet that is half the weight of the Guardian, or build one that is even lighter. Minimal expense here!!!

A Whoopie suspension is very inexpensive and/or terribly fun to make. They'll never overtake my webbing suspension in terms of preference, but they will take several ounces off your total weight. Plus, I don't know if I mentioned it, but they are kind of fun to make.

Pillows are luxury weight. If you want, it take it. If you want to save weight, use a stuff sack with spare clothing in it. Works great and you're already carrying it.

Save money for a good quilt set down the trail. Pads will teach you a lot and they work fine for most people. No way around their bulk, but they are lighter than most underquilts for the same insulation.

ENO's fabric is a heavyweight one. There are many lighter options out there. I tend to be a fan of the Travelers from Warbonnet, but they are just one among many that will cut your hammock weight down.

Don't try to tackle this all at once, unless you are one of those lucky trust-fund folks I hear about. I tend to view pack-weight loss in the same vein as I do a long hike in that it really is the journey that is more important than the destination. Play with your gear a piece at a time and really get it the way you want it; shaving ounces at each turn. When you've got that done, you'll get bored and start something new. With the next revision, you'll start shaving grams. After that, it really just becomes an obsession so maybe you're better off taking your time. No reason to check-in to the looney bin earlier than necessary.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast