Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Truth be known, most of us had problems adapting to a hammock.

In the beginning there was the common backyard yard hammock that most had tried and either been dumped or found miserable. And we persevered. On the second day there was the Hammock Forum which began the enlightenment. And we persevered. On the third day with the introduction of Just Jeff and Shug we gained a deeper understanding of the magic involved. And we persevered. On the fourth day we were exposed to DIY and all that it entailed and required. And we persevered. On day five the mysteries of amsteel and titanium were revealed. And we persevered. Day six resulted in the culmination of all newly learned skills. On the seventh day we rested ... in our hammock.
    LOL! This (and the original post) echoes my own experience too! And though I had never fallen out of a hammock, I guess I had enough fear of pulling down my walls, or of the hooks pulling out of my walls, or of falling out of my ENO DN that I spent a very restless few first nights and gave up at 3 in the morning, just unable to get to sleep. Learning about underquilts and other essentials got me to keep trying, and I'm so glad I did. I think I'm on successful night #5 or so and I'm loving it. I have already noticed a difference in neck and lower back pain. Congratulations! =

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    That's awesome..Gratz

I still have a hard time falling asleep in my hammock from time to time. But I dont think its the hammocks fault because once the sun starts to rise, I am out like a hibernating bear. For some reason, my body just wants to wait till morning to go to sleep...Weird. It doesnt happen that often, but when it does, it kinda sucks. Maybe its from the excitement of backpacking and the anticipation of the next day's hike that causes me to stay awake.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    My story was very similar. I had a hard time getting used to a hammock, stuck it out and so glad I did. I was determined to make it work. It seemed like the most obvious way to sleep in the woods. Congrats on your achievement!

S

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    And I had visions of him hanging like a banana.

I was raised in Venezuela and had a lot of hanging experience. The secret for true comfort is being able to lie on a really good diagonal. I've come to the conclusion that to be able to do this in a gathered end hammock (as opposed to string ones that fan out at the ends) you need a really long hammock.

That is why I love the original Switchback, with the added advantage that you can lay at either end. It's my Taj Mahal hammock. I also need a small pillow for neck support.

Guess I'll have to google banana hammock for some light entertainment! Makes me think of Anthony Bourdain. He uses that description in some of his TV show travels.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Hah, so you got over your fear of hammocking and designed your own version of a portable stand all in one blow?

We gotta think of some other challenge for you to take on.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    I know I'm hooked now, because last night I dreamt of Dutch! I didn't officially meet him in my dream, but he was being chauffeured by a woman in a pimped-out, mad-max station wagon with a "DutchWare" decal on the side. He pulled up in the driveway and nodded at me, then backed out and left. Weird, I know, that Dutch made a cameo appearance in my dream, while I slept in my hammock. I am being visited by the Hammock Prophets while I sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    Guess I'll have to google banana hammock for some light entertainment! Makes me think of Anthony Bourdain. He uses that description in some of his TV show travels.
    Oh, you are in for a delightful treat!

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Hah, so you got over your fear of hammocking and designed your own version of a portable stand all in one blow?

We gotta think of some other challenge for you to take on.
    "People who gravitate to hammock camping tend to tinker and experiment" (Derek Hansen p.10). I modified TurtleLady's stand and made it less portable (no segmented poles), but that allowed me to relax inside my home. I was even more determined after building the stand, and able to try more.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
    You went all biblical on me there! So are Just-Jeff and Shug our version of Adam and Eve?

Which one tasted the forbidden fruit in the Garden?
    I was reading my The Ultimate Hang book, and it occurred to me that Derek Hansen is like our version of King James III
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
    You went all biblical on me there! So are Just-Jeff and Shug our version of Adam and Eve?

Which one tasted the forbidden fruit in the Garden?
    Don't know, wasn't there, I'm old but not that old.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12