DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Advice on overnight hikes in NJ/PA/NY

The Pine Barrens are close(ish) and convenient ... but I'm originally from the Northeast, and I miss NH and VT scenery. Since I don't have time to get up there anytime soon, I'll have to settle for the area up near northwest NJ, where it meets NY and PA - that's got mountains and rocks and rivers and such, right?

So here's my quandry:

I'm looking for backpacking hikes that can be done on 2 day/1 night trips (an overnight on the weekend, for example). Possibly 3 day/2 night. But right now I usually can find some time to get away on a Saturday into Sunday, so that's where I'll start.

The criteria:

1.) I want to hike 5-10 miles each day. Moderate difficulty - not too easy, but not so hard that it'll kill me. Hiking in and hiking back out the same way is not out of the question, if that's what's necessary.

2.) The goal is hiking to hang - so there needs to be camping allowed. Legal camping ... I'm not looking to hike in and stealth camp.

3.) I'm looking for stuff within an couple hours of central Jersey (give or take). I realize that there's the PA Grand Canyon and a bunch of stuff out that way. But that's like 4 hours. Same thing with getting too far into the Adirondacks. If I'm going to drive 4 hours, I'll add the extra 2 and go to New Hampshire or Vermont The Pine Barrens are an hour and a half South. I'm willing to go a touch farther for some elavation and scenery that doesn't invlove flat pine forest and sand.

So, any thoughts? Any favorite trips, loops, etc?

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Start at the Mohegan outdoor center and go north on the Appalation Trail there are a few exit points that would meet your criteria. Also high point north on the Appalachian Trail towards wayawanda state park.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    Start at the Mohegan outdoor center and go north on the Appalachian Trail there are a few exit points that would meet your criteria. Also high point north on the Appalachian Trail towards wayawanda state park.
    Aren't those places really crowded? I hiked past Sunfish Pond up toward Mohegan and was very uncomfortable with the number of people I saw. I've never hiked a more crowded trail.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Honestly I don't know. I have only hiked those sections in the early spring and late fall and I had the trail to myself the 3 times I was up there. Could be with all the access points though.

Hammock
    FreeBird/ThunderBird/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG, Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ ,HG,WLSSUQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Head up to Harriman State Park. The is over 200 miles of trails. Depending where you live in New Jersey you can take a train there.When you get off train hop on the blue blaze trail to the Appalachian trail or you can road walk down route 17.I live down near the shore and its only a 2 hour ride for me. Here is a 5 mile loop hike. Park at elk penn and take the Appalachian trail to fingerboard shelter. Coming back you can get on the red trail Rammapo Dunderberg trail to the long trail which will bring you back to the lemon squeezer. Then finish up using the Appalachian trail back to car. I would suggest picking up the two map set for Harriman.

http://nynjtc.org/catalog/maps

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Head up to Harriman State Park. The is over 200 miles of trails. Depending where you live in New Jersey you can take a train there.When you get off train hop on the blue blaze trail to the Appalachian trail or you can road walk down route 17.I live down near the shore and its only a 2 hour ride for me. Here is a 5 mile loop hike. Park at elk penn and take the Appalachian trail to fingerboard shelter. Coming back you can get on the red trail Rammapo Dunderberg trail to the long trail which will bring you back to the lemon squeezer. Then finish up using the Appalachian trail back to car. I would suggest picking up the two map set for Harriman.

I'm pretty sure I have those maps, though from a year or two ago. I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post

LOL, I've been to Harriman several times in the past 2 months and it looks like an amusement park it's so crowded. It's seems like a Korean meeting place, I know they have the same right to the park as anyone, but I've seen way too many times that they throw their garbage out behind trees or dump food they didn't eat behind a rock. I've said something a couple of times to them and all i get is jibberish that I don't understand. Too bad because there is miles and miles of great hiking trail in Harriman.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    You could try alltrails.com. They have searches for your area. I'm a fan.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    LOL, I've been to Harriman several times in the past 2 months and it looks like an amusement park it's so crowded. It's seems like a Korean meeting place, I know they have the same right to the park as anyone, but I've seen way too many times that they throw their garbage out behind trees or dump food they didn't eat behind a rock. I've said something a couple of times to them and all i get is jibberish that I don't understand. Too bad because there is miles and miles of great hiking trail in Harriman.
    That is one of the benefits of the Pine Barrens - while the campgrounds themselves are fairly busy during the season, the trails are pretty empty. We did a hike in April where we didn't see practically a single soul on the 7 miles out, only to get to the 'wilderness camp' and find it chock full of people. Then on the way back out we passed one couple out for a stroll.

Not sure where you are in Jersey, I'm thinking Catskills.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast