Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

Under quilt suspension too tight?

We went camping this weekend and I, of course, hung in my hammock. For the 2nd time in a row I actually had a difficult, not very comfortable night in my hammock. I think what may be happening is that my new underquilt is hung too tightly. I'm having a lot of trouble getting a diagonal sleeping position. Also, when I clip in the underquilt it's pulled up much higher than the hammock itself. I really think the problem is that the underquilt is pushing me inline with the ridge line and that's where the uncomfortable lay is coming from.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much sag an underquilt should have in relation to the hammock? I want to be able to lay diagonally but not have the underquilt loose underneath me. I'm having trouble finding that happy medium.

Also, when laying diagonally should the underquilt shock cord suspension pass over your feet?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    We went camping this weekend and I, of course, hung in my hammock. For the 2nd time in a row I actually had a difficult, not very comfortable night in my hammock. I think what may be happening is that my new underquilt is hung too tightly. I'm having a lot of trouble getting a diagonal sleeping position. Also, when I clip in the underquilt it's pulled up much higher than the hammock itself. I really think the problem is that the underquilt is pushing me inline with the ridge line and that's where the uncomfortable lay is coming from.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much sag an underquilt should have in relation to the hammock? I want to be able to lay diagonally but not have the underquilt loose underneath me. I'm having trouble finding that happy medium.

Also, when laying diagonally should the underquilt shock cord suspension pass over your feet?
    Yes it should! If the shock cord is under your feet, your feet will push the cord down ward and probably cause a leak or gap.

As far as the UQ sag, it sort of depends on the UQ. With my PeaPod, I have 3 to 8" of gap between the hammock and and the pod before I get in, Then the hammock sags way more than the pod and I end up with the pod just barely in contact with my abck. But, it has no elastic suspension at all!

With my WB Yeti and some other UQs, usually not only is the quilt is solid contact ( NO gap) with the hammock before I get in, but the quilt actually lifts the empty hammock a foot or two into the air, and my JRB MWs maybe similar, not certain.

Bottom line is the UQ needs to be just touching your back after you are laying down, enough to be snug but not enough to compress the UQ loft. If it is a Dif cut model, usually best bet is quite snug against your back and butt. If It is quite snug against your back, but you can still take your hands and push it down further with ease, that should be about right. It also needs to be snug against your butt and shoulders, so that cold air can not leak in under the edges.

So far, none of my UQs or pod has interfered with my diagonal lay.

Can you get a comfy diag lay without the UQ? If not, the problem may be that you have too much tension on your hammock and you need more sag. Just experiment until you get it right for you! And make sure your feet are high enough so that you don't slide towards the foot end.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-01-2013 at 20:58.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    So you can get a good diagonal lay in the same hammock without the UQ?

Try changing the angle of the UQ suspension but using some line tied on the UQ shock cord half way between the UQ and the end of the hammock and put over the hammock structural ridgeline to the same spot on the shock cord on the other side. Instead of the shock cord going straight from the UQ to the end of the hammock it will now go up at a greater angle to where the line is tied and then back towards the end of the hammock. It's basically what "triangle thingies" do.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yes it should! If the shock cord is under your feet, your feet will push the cord down ward and probably cause a leak or gap.
    OK, good to know. Then I'm doing that part correctly.

As far as the UQ sag , it sort of depends on the UQ. With my WB Yeti and some other UQs, usually not only is the quilt is solid contact ( NO gap) with the hammock before I get in, but the quilt actually lifts the empty hammock a foot or two into the air, and my JRB MWs maybe similar, not certain.
    That's about where mine is. It certainly pulls the entire hammock up by at least a foot.

Bottom line is the UQ needs to be just touching your back after you are laying down, enough to be snug but not enough to compress the UQ loft. If it is a Dif cut model, usually best bet is quite snug against your back and butt. If It is quite snug against your back, but you can still take your hands and push it down further with ease, that should be about right. It also needs to be snug against your butt and shoulders, so that cold air can not leak in under the edges.
    I made mine with a diff cut. 60 inches on the outside, 54 on the inside. It is quite snug against my back. I think it may be a bit too snug.

Can you get a comfy diag lay without the UQ? If not, the problem may be that you have too much tension on your hammock and you need more sag. Just experiment until you get it right for you! And make sure your feet are high enough so that you don't slide towards the foot end.
    Yes, it's far more comfortable and easier to get a diagonal lay without the UQ. I have also learned, as you mentioned, to raise the foot end by at least 6 inches or I slide towards the middle at night. I will experiment with cord tension and hammock angles this weekend. I can see how the height of foot could contribute to this problem. Maybe I'm not putting it high enough and I'm still sliding towards the narrow foot end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    So you can get a good diagonal lay in the same hammock without the UQ?
    Yeah, it's wonderful when it's just the hammock alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Try changing the angle of the UQ suspension but using some line tied on the UQ shock cord half way between the UQ and the end of the hammock and put over the hammock structural ridgeline to the same spot on the shock cord on the other side. Instead of the shock cord going straight from the UQ to the end of the hammock it will now go up at a greater angle to where the line is tied and then back towards the end of the hammock. It's basically what "triangle thingies" do.
    I will try something similar to that. I added Dutch ridge line hangers which allow me to change the suspension point just as you suggested. I'm now thinking that if my suspension is really tight then using those ridge line hangers pulls the foot box even tighter and narrower.

I added about 2 feet of shock cord to the suspension. That may be enough to allow me to use the ridge line suspension hangers without pulling the entire foot box into a tiny circle.

I'll give it a try tonight. Thank you for your advice.

• + New Posts