DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    Thanks for your really interesting research and design.
    Your variation of the TDS is the design that I will build for myself this fall.

While watching your ridge extension attempt, this came to mind.
    It seams that perhaps these may stabilize the connection enough to make it work? just a thought.
    They may require some melding of the angles of the inserted end prior to pressing them into the conduit?

Thanks again BH,
    __bob__
    gmcttr also offered this advice, over on the TurtleDog Thread, but I gave up trying to add segmentation, after my failed efforts. It seemed to put all the stress on the connection point of the ridgepole, meaning it's going to need to be very secure. I kept wondering if a sleeve could fit over the connection to reinforce it even more. The thing is, that when the RidgePole is that long, the whole thing bends a LOT when I try to mount the hammock. The entire RP bowed a LOT before bending the stud-connector I bestowed inside of it. I made sure to maintain my 30º hangle, so I am completely dumbfounded.

Before I went to the conduit ridgepole, I was using a photography backdrop pole, which has four segments, but they are long internal, solid pieces that twist-lock together. It held my body weight just fine when I used three segments, but whenever I added the fourth segment to get 12.5 feet length, it lost all it's rigidity and would bend like a wet noodle. I'm not sure if 10 feet is the magic number, but every time I tried to go longer, it has been disastrous.

It would be great to see others build this stand and I hope you'll post pictures. Maybe it could evolve into something better, with segmentation.

Here's a picture of the segmentation that totally worked on my Prototype Ridge Pole shown in the first "Test Hang" in my video. It's not a DIY thing though, as I bought it this way. This one is aluminum and really light. It came with a nice bag that holds all the segments in their respective sleeves. I'd love to have a Turtle Stand with these attributes, but I'm not capable of creating it alone. I'm hoping the ideas will come from other people's contributions, synergically advancing its evolution.

It might be hard to see, but the male end has a notch, that "locks" into the female end's divot. Each section is 37.5 inches long, making all four sections equal twelve and half feet long when assembled. At full length, it wanted to snap when I tried it. Using only three sections, for 9.375 feet length worked amazingly well and fully supported my 212 lb body weight.

I switched to the conduit ridgepole, because I prefer the eyebolts at the ends, instead of my janky fuel hose inside the holes in the end. Tonight will be my forth night in the ten foot conduit eye-bolted ridgepole that I like very much.
    Last edited by Banana Hammock; 07-02-2013 at 22:42.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Hey, I missed it somewhere but, how do you get the two eyebolts into the third eyebolts, errrr, eye? Did you have to open it up and squeeze it back down?

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Hey, I missed it somewhere but, how do you get the two eyebolts into the third eyebolts, errrr, eye? Did you have to open it up and squeeze it back down?
    Exactly. I prised it open, and hammered down.

Wait, I mean I magick'd them on, like Houdini or something (Hppyfngy).
    Last edited by Banana Hammock; 07-02-2013 at 23:10.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images

Very cool!
    I plan to build one this fall. I think I'll begin playing with a segmented ridge pole soon.
    Thanks BH,
    __bob__

I would love to have a closer look at this. Great idea. My husband and I are looking at making stands similar to these.
    Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    I'm very interested in your design. However I can not see your pictures. It says they have been moved.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Sounds awesome. I'd love to see the pics but I am having the same problem. Photobucket says the pictures have been moved or deleted.
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Since the photos are gone and it has been a month since the OP has been on HF, I'll try describing his tripod leg connections.

An eye bolt and nut were used in the top of each leg. The nuts were sized to be a tight fit and were pressed (or hammered) into the open ends of the legs. The eye bolts just thread into the nuts. The eye of one eye bolt is opened enough so it can be passed through the other two eyes and then closed to hold all three together.

The OP had this link that has a photo....http://meatfiregood.com/2012/09/06/s...pod_assembled/

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I have built a few TD's with 2X2"s and fence ridge pole and have played with 2 piece and 3 piece ridge pole. The sleeve connector for the top rail works for me as long as the center piece is 5 to 6 feet in length. Would you be able to piece the conduit with, say, 2.5 feet at each end and 6.5 or 7 feet in the middle? Just wondering. I sure do want to try this method. Congrats for this design or adaptation.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Open Eye

Just a thought... Couldn't you leave the third leg eye open, hook the other two and leave that open end face up/away from hammock to allow ease of separation and storage?
    John 20:31 But these (miracles) are written in order that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that through believing and cleaving to and trusting and relying upon Him you may have life through His name (through Who He is).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast