Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps

New DD "Jungle Hammock" Reviews??

Does anyone on the site have the new DD Hammock DD Jungle Hammock? Or know where there are some reviews of it? Not much on YouTube that I have found and nothing on DD site, at least that I have found.

I am interested in this hammock but would like to know what others think before putting up the cash.

Also, I was looking at the Tenth Wonder products, but when you factor in the additional shipping cost from GB to USA they end up at almost the same price.

Thanks in advance for any help or links.

Wolfman

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    I think wery few has hade the time to get one home, they relesed it a week ago

I have it. They sent me an early release to review.

You can see my video here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmP458RlJyo

I've tried to go into as much detail as possible with it being so new but if you have any questions, just ask - or email DD, they're actually really helpful.

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks for the Link Dan! Interesting system. I wish they had a little more information on there web site. Any thoughts on some one that is 2m long and close to the 130k weight limit?

Some more questions;

How easy is the lay? Not sure your size, but I worry about the banana effect.

Is the bottom one layer? (with out the waterproof part)
    And if so you would need to sleep on a pad if you used one, correct?

I would really like to see how it lays out as a bivi, too.

Wolfman

They have pictures on their site of it set up as a bivvy. It looks a lot easier than it is with the 2012 model, purely because of those arched net spreaders which double as pegs.

I haven't spent long enough in it to comment on the lay yet - I wanted to get that video up quick sharp!

The bottom (with waterproof 'module' removed) is just one layer. I struggle with the whole centre channel thing - some people like it, I don't - and in the 2012 model I always used the Exped7 between the two bottom layers in order to prevent that.

I can't think how else to prevent it - or indeed, where else to put the mat - other than using the mat in the hammock, which doesn't strike me as ideal...

I think the target market for this is the ultralight campers. Plus I've heard a lot of people in hot countries bemoan the double layered bottom because it gets them too sweaty.

There are two things persuading me to spend more time getting this to work for me. One is the sheer spaciousness using the arches - I tend to sit up editing photos on my laptop in the hammock, so that will come in handy.

The other is that, the arches also seem to help the hammock form a much wider, more semicircular shape, so I anticipate getting a much flatter lay from this hammock. This really appeals to me because I'm a side sleeper and, as comfortable as my 2012 Travel hammock is, I'm still not used to sleeping on my back.

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good video, thanks Dan.
    Does the waterproof layer have end channels for a cord to cinch up as a gathered end ?
    If not, it should. This will solve the floppy ends, and also give it greater hold for a mat between layers.

Hi (and thanks),

The waterproof layer does have cords, which are designed to increase it's effectiveness when used on top. There's no reason they can't be used underneath.

Nick from DD said he tucks it in when tying the bug net off. I think, once I swap the other knot for a biner, it'll be easy to hook the fabric 'tarp' loops through there too.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG CF w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0'
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRomani View Post
    I think the target market for this is the ultralight campers.
    I'm surprised to hear that. I would have imagined all that hardware weighs quite a bit? Have you put it on the scales yet to check the weight of it?
    "Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses." - Arthur C. Clarke

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    The Listed weight is 1800 grams, which is not what I would consider UL, but most hammocks are not that UL anyway. I know that there is some out there that are.

I think the reason that Dan is suggesting that it is for a Light Weight set up is that it is all complete. Ground setup, hammock, rain cover. The idea being that you would not need any thing else. Of course this is all subject to what the weather is going to be like. I think in a major down pour you would want more of a tarp.

For me, I am looking for something that can be used both on the ground and as a hammock. It MUST have built in bug netting. I am not sure about the ground cloth though, or using it as a rain fly, but I would think it would be lighter then taking both.

Now if I can just get DD hammock so end me one to "Evaluate" life would be GOOD!

Wolfman

PS:
    Another new video, by Northwestbushcraft.

Hammock
    DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps
    I've just pre-ordered mine from AMTC in Australia but no ETA yet....shouldn't be too long. I was going to get a Dream Hammock Thunderbird but by the time I decided what fabric I wanted the $AU dropped significantly.

Then this came out! I'm still keen on a DH TB but our dollar will have to pick up a bit.

I recon you'd have to be pretty sure of the weather to just take the cover without a proper tarp. The cover would be good for winter camping to keep the heat in, a welcome feature that's becoming more common. It will be getting left at home unless I need a ground sheet or out in the dead of winter.

I'm in Australia & actually prefer double layer hammocks, as long as they're breathable layers. The DD Travel gave me grief.

I'm very keen to hear how it lays. Can you still get the diagonal lay like the Frontline & Travel?
    Last edited by Benny; 07-04-2013 at 00:14.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast