Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Youth Recommendation

I'm new to the hammocking world. I didn't know about this forum until after I purchased my first system. I bought the Hennessy based on a recommendation of a friend. I am happy with my system so far. My 12 year old son is wanting a hammock. After learning about the forum and the cottage manufacturers, I'm inclined to by from BIAS, Wilderness Logics or Warbonnet. At this point, I'm leaning towards the BIAS or Wilderness Logics. I have to admit, I have no other reason at this point other than I'm originally from Tennessee and now live in North Carolina. Does any of these manufacturers (or another that I've not mentioned) have a hammock/bug system better suited for youth. Does "youth" matter or is it still "I just like how this one feels" better?
    Thanks,
    HBH

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I certainly wouldn't overlook any of the cottage vendors you mentioned, but my 13 year old son loves his Grand Trunk skeeter beeter. After using longer hammocks I find it small for me, but it fits him well at around 5'.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    +1 on the Grand Trunk... It is cheap, and when we are talking about little guys sometimes cheap is the way to go. They can be hard on things...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My sons seem to have issues with integrated bugnets. They always find a way to rip them by sitting on them or some other creative way.

They have yet to rip one my BIAS bugnets. I still don't trust them with my Weight Weenie Micro hammocks, so they are relegated to tablecloth hammocks. I tend to think kid hammocks should be tougher material than 1.1 oz ripstop because kids abuse stuff.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Why not try one of the home brew options? Tablecloth hammocks are inexpensive and quite comfy. You can at least let him try out the hammock for a modest price to see if he really does like it.

FYI: My son LOVES the idea of hammocks. Loves lounging in them. Has watched all of the Shug and Fronkey videos with me. He has not been able to successfully sleep in a hammock overnight. YMMV.

Bruce

All of the vendors listed on HF make great products and I believe you and your son would be hard pressed to find fault in any of their products.

With that said I have yet to see a Dream Hammock mentioned, I think a Darien would be a perfect fit and at 125$ I think it is a great starter hammock, here is a link: http://www.dream-hammock.com/Darien.html
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    I'm 13, and love my hammock. However, hammocks are not for everyone. I say grand trunk ultralight or a tablecloth is a good place to start and "test the waters".
    Jonah,

Thank you

Thank you everyone for their recommendations. I have now looked at the Dream hammock site and I am intrigued. My purchase will probably be from Dream hammock, BIAS or Wilderness Logics.
    In your esteemed opinions, would one type of suspension system be better suited for a twelve year old? Would cinch buckles/straps be easier than Whoopies for him to put up?
    TNX

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    If you do get him a hammock, I would suggest getting a ridgeline. It will take some of the guess work out of getting the right amount of sag.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    Thank you everyone for their recommendations. I have now looked at the Dream hammock site and I am intrigued. My purchase will probably be from Dream hammock, BIAS or Wilderness Logics.
    In your esteemed opinions, would one type of suspension system be better suited for a twelve year old? Would cinch buckles/straps be easier than Whoopies for him to put up?
    TNX
    I would definitely support any of the vendors you recommended. I started my son on a table cloth hammock for durability, but switched to an UL 1.1 nylon hammock for backpacking this year. He started out with tree huggers and whoopie slings, and has been good with them since showing him how to get them properly adjusted. Based soley on height I usually have to hang his tree straps for him. For any youth starting out, I would strongly suggest a structural ridgeline as this will help them get the best hang regardless of suspension type.

Michael

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast