Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Good end to a great looking trip.

Loved the views at the lake and definitely enjoy the sound of rain on a tarp. Home is where the tarp is!

Glad to hear the knee is doing well. Thanks for the digital hike along maestro!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Super trip fellers thanks for taking us along!

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    the lake scenery at 7'40" is just gorgeous.
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Images
    A simple thank you sir. Well done. Want to be somewhere cooler, woodier and quieter. Nice fix.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Wander'n and Hammock'n the Snowbank Trail

I would say this was probably one of the most challenging trails I have done to date. I fell, eh hem, sauntered a few times... more than any other trail. I put my trekking poles to good use. Important to stop and relax the mind and body and take in the beauty. This is not a trail to do without being in shape. I can attest to this, because I am a bit out of shape. The hills are not killer, but a few do take your breathe away. The rustic sense of the trail is the challenge...lots of pointed, sharp rocks on the trail, in camp and under the lakes. You have to stay mentally focussed, a real head down trail. This is why it is so easy to miss the camp site markers. The cairns are very much appreciated. Without a doubt, the second and third night sites were the top two campsites I have ever hammocked. It was like Mother Nature created the sites special, just for us hammockers. I was not fond of the clear cuts on the Kek. I understand the need for the cuts, but I do not have to like them. The good thing is, the clear cut trail sections are not very long. We are water flush up here right now, so water was plentiful. Though, we had a few sections that carrying extra water was prudent. Do not leave your compass and map at home...you will need them on this trail.

I tried out a few new pieces of gear this trip...

Warbonnet Attachable Bug Net (Borrowed from Shug's Outfitters); A nicely crafted piece of gear, worked with my WL Lite Owl. WL does make their own too. Shug has shock cord attached on both ends of the net's attachment loops. Rather than attach the loops where the suspension meets your hammock, I looped the shock cord through the biners where my suspension attach to my huggers. The net adjusted/settled well with my hammock. I learned that an attachable bug net is just not my cup-o'-tea. I used it the first night and then used my head net for the remaining two nights. I was covered from neck down in my comfy JRB Hudson River TQ. I do see an WBBB XLC in my future. A longer hammock fits me right and provides a great flat lay.

Rab Lotok mid gaiters; I like these gaiters because they close on top of your shoe, not on the sides. For me, easier to get on and off. They are waterproof and breathable(eVent). Did a fine job of keeping my feet and socks dry and the ticks off. Velcro closing with snaps. Undershoe strap is solid. These gaiters are not ultralight, however, for me... practicality and safety rules... in this case, weight is not an issue.

Tilley Endurables Eco-Airflo Hat; This hat kept the sun out of my eyes, the sweat off of my brow and is super comfortable. Nature's air conditioning, when dipped in water and placed back on your head. And you all saw, it is quite comfortable to sleep in.

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra CS WP Trail Running shoes; This shoe totally delivered for me. Scored a nice deal at REI with membership discount and dividend. Surprised they are sold as a trail runner? The rigid sole handled the Snowbank trail sharp rocks very well and the uppers withstood the same beating. The toe cap protects very, very well. I was not sure I would like the lacing system, but I do. The system provides a nice plus... in camp, I can easily loosen the lacing to the max and they became a comfortable camp shoe.

A bit about backpacking with Shug. Yep, he talks a lot...sings a lot... and rips up the trail. But, there is not a finer fellow to follow on the trail. A learned backpacker who shares his knowledge with respect and carries a good soul. And heck, he is quiet when he sleeps Me? Not so much.
    Last edited by Wander'nFool; 06-21-2013 at 22:38.
    "It's a wanderful life."

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    I think you might be starting to like that new pack of yours! Camp site number two is almost as picture perfect as camp site number one. Good news on the fixed knee being better than the good knee. I could tell that the worst part of that trip was the end. It’s often a bit sad to reach the end of a walk. You’ll be back! It looked to be a really good loop. Thanks for the 3 part trip report Mr Shug, they were all really good!

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander'nFool View Post
    I would say this was probably one of the most challenging trails I have done to date. I fell, eh hem, sauntered a few times... more than any other trail. I put my trekking poles to good use. Important to stop and relax the mind and body and take in the beauty. This is not a trail to do without being in shape. I can attest to this, because I am a bit out of shape. The hills are not killer, but a few do take your breathe away. The rustic sense of the trail is the challenge...lots of pointed, sharp rocks on the trail, in camp and under the lakes. You have to stay mentally focussed, a real head down trail. This is why it is so easy to miss the camp site markers. The cairns are very much appreciated. Without a doubt, the second and third night sites were the top two campsites I have ever hammocked. It was like Mother Nature created the sites special, just for us hammockers. I was not fond of the clear cuts on the Kek. I understand the need for the cuts, but I do not have to like them. The good thing is, the clear cut trail sections are not very long. We are water flush up here right now, so water was plentiful. Though, we had a few sections that carrying extra water was prudent. Do not leave your compass and map at home...you will need them on this trail.

I tried out a few new pieces of gear this trip...

Warbonnet Attachable Bug Net (Borrowed from Shug's Outfitters); A nicely crafted piece of gear, worked with my WL Lite Owl. WL does make their own too. Shug has shock cord attached on both ends of the net's attachment loops. Rather attach the loops where the suspension meets your hammock, I looped the shock cord through the biners where my suspension attach to my huggers. The net adjusted/settled well with my hammock. I learned that an attachable bug net is just not my cup-o'-tea. I used it the first night and then used my head net for the remaining two nights. I was covered from neck down in my comfy JRB Hudson River TQ. I do see an WBBB XLC in my future. A longer hammock fits me right and provides a great flat lay.

Rab Lotok mid gaiters; I like these gaiters because they close on top of your shoe, not on the sides. For me, easier to get on and off. They are waterproof and breathable(eVent). Did a fine job of keeping my feet and socks dry and the ticks off. Velcro closing with snaps. Undershoe strap is solid. These gaiters are not ultralight, however, for me... practicality and safety rules... in this case, weight is not an issue.

Tilley Endurables Eco-Airflo Hat; This hat kept the sun out of my eyes, the sweat off of my brow and is super comfortable. Nature's air conditioning, when dipped in water and placed back on your head. And you all saw, it is quite comfortable to sleep in.

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra CS WP Trail Running shoes; This shoe totally delivered for me. Scored a nice deal at REI with membership discount and dividend. Surprised they are sold as a trail runner? The rigid sole handled the Snowbank trail sharp rocks very well and the uppers withstood the same beating. The toe cap protects very, very well. I was not sure I would like the lacing system, but I do. The system provides a nice plus... in camp, I can easily loosen the lacing to the max and they became a comfortable camp shoe.

A bit about backpacking with Shug. Yep, he talks a lot...sings a lot... and rips up the trail. But, there is not a finer fellow to follow on the trail. A learned backpacker who shares his knowledge with respect and carries a good soul. And heck, he is quiet when he sleeps Me? Not so much.
    Thanks for your report, Wander'nFool! It was a good addition to the videos.
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Awh shucks it's over ... sniffle ... whine ...
    BUT ANUTTER" GUD"N SHUGROW ... thank ye!
    There ain't no sunshine when you and WF are gone.......Well I reckon memories of good times and a trip on the horizon .
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great videos and reports WF and Shug... I really enjoyed being up north with ya

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Looks like you two had a great time. Beautiful scenery there, and a big thumbs-up on the successful land nav.

Thanks for the word report, Wander'nFool; it's always nice to get a feel for the trail both in words and video.

Interesting how much the temperature can vary, even in summer, that far north. Seems like the skeeters were almost as bad as they get down here after a rain.

Thanks for taking us along!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast