Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

Clark 250

Okay I have emailed Spencer and he sent me an email that I should post here for those to read. My email consested of some of the questions some of you folks have PMed me about or emailed me about.

Not having one of the new 250's it is hard for me to answer some of the questions that have been asked so I emailed Clark to get some Idea behind the 250 after reading this email I hope you all might have a better understanding what is going on at Clark as much as I do at least.

They have been a very good company to do with and often go out of there way answering questions for me that I could not answer so that I would be able to give those of you who do read about the Clarks the right answer and not miss lead you all. So below this is what they had to answer to mine and many of your questions. I think those questions that you all have asked me have been great question and they needed to be answered.

I really hope this answers some if not all of your questions. I know that this will still not make people happy for what ever reason and some folks will still not be happy with the price but here you go.

Happy reading

I’ve noticed a lot of interesting comments about the NX-250 and I posted a message answering some questions about it on the Yahoo Group. You can feel free to share it with anyone else who is interested. Here it is:

Hi all,

We are starting to get a lot of questions about our NX-250 model (which we won't start shipping for a couple of months). These are the main questions:

1) Why did you make the NX-250 model?

2) Why does it cost so much?

Here are the answers:

First, we made the NX-250 because we have listened to customers for many years who love the features of our hammocks but wish they could have lots of open space around them. Now, the NX-200 was definitely a step up from our standard model. But the NX-250 takes interior space to a whole new level. The NX-250 feels very spacious from head to foot. It's a luxurious feeling.

There is another benefit to the NX-250: It's really easy to set up. It takes less time and you hardly have to pay any attention to whether the tension is correct.

As for the cost, you have to take two things into consideration. First, we are the design leader in the hammock industry. That means we can't just copy the latest competitor hammock and then have it made for $4 in Bangladesh. Second, we make all of our hammocks in the USA from virtually 100% American-made materials. Let me say that again: We do not import fabric from overseas. We know this makes our products cost more. It's worth it.

The NX-250 is not just a NX-200 with loops and poles. There are subtle differences that required many months and countless tests. The extra labor costs money. The poles (also made in America) cost money. The rain fly is also larger (the most expensive part of our hammocks). One improvement you will notice is that the WeatherShield zips directly to the netting, allowing you to exit the hammock with one zipper slider, even when the WeatherShield is up. This feature added weight and expense, but we figured that people who buy this model are more concerned with comfort than weight and expense.

We are the original lightweight camping hammock. If you would like a cheaper NX-250, simply wait a few months and you can buy one from our competitors who are sending the designs to China as we speak. You'll just miss out on the durability, quality and features you would get in a Clark.

In the meantime, we will continue selling the standard Jungle Hammocks that have stood the test of time. They are still my hammock of choice.

Sincerely,

Spencer Clark

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I had a North American awhile back, and though I liked it...it just seemed to squeeze my shoulders too much. The NX-250 is certainly a neat design and I'll keep my eye on it to see how it materializes. Can't wait to see more photos of it!

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Yea I want to see real pictures of it not just flyer pictures.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    . If you would like a cheaper NX-250, simply wait a few months and you can buy one from our competitors who are sending the designs to China as we speak. You'll just miss out on the durability, quality and features you would get in a Clark.

Spencer Clark
    I found that quote a little strange - I've never seen anyone selling anything that looked even remotely like a clark knockoff.

Hammock
    switchback
    im curious if there is a way to modify the nx-200 into a nx-250.....any ideas?

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I found that quote a little strange - I've never seen anyone selling anything that looked even remotely like a clark knockoff.
    I agree. Kind of a weird comment to make. Anyway, It's their product so they can price it as they determine it needs to be priced. However I'm not paying over $400 for any hammock. It's a neat idea and I'm curious to see how it pans out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillmastertoo View Post
    im curious if there is a way to modify the nx-200 into a nx-250.....any ideas?
    No. They've made several changes. It's not like they just added hoops.

But if that's the only part you wanted to add, I'm sure that you could figure out a way to add some pole sleeves/pockets.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I agree. Kind of a weird comment to make. Anyway, It's their product so they can price it as they determine it needs to be priced. However I'm not paying over $400 for any hammock. It's a neat idea and I'm curious to see how it pans out.
    There may be some truth to that, but there is another way to look at it. This has been discussed here many times and I've been back and forth from one side of the fence to the other, but here it is: The Clark is a 'complete' set-up, at least in theory (and I'm talking the NA versions, 200, 250). It is a hammock, tarp, weather shield, and insulation. Now the insulation is kind of the issue for me. I don't personally buy it, but there have been reports of it working just fine. I suppose it's like the SuperShelter arguments/discussions; the people that it works for, it works fine for.

So all of that for one price really isn't that much greater than if you were to buy the best (relative term) of each to build your set-up from the ground up. Add their claim to use only materials produced (not just assembled) in the USA and I can start to justify the price. My winter set-up consists of around $500 (hammock, tarp, UQ) worth of gear before I throw in the top quilt, probably more but I don't want to think about it anymore. My summer system isn't too far behind that cause those grams get expensive. So yeah, I can see it. It's just a hard pill to swallow all at once.

Of course the statements shown above are only JMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My winter set-up consists of around $500 (hammock, tarp, UQ) worth of gear before I throw in the top quilt, probably more but I don't want to think about it anymore.
    Now you've gone and made me go add it up.

Survey says: $570
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    The rain fly is also larger (the most expensive part of our hammocks).
    .....how is the rain fly the most expensive part of the setup? I'm a bit baffled by that one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast