Thread: Clark 250

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock NX-250
    Insulation
    None
    Suspension
    Whoppie's
    Good afternoon,

I've been backpacking for 25-years. Over those 25-years I have used a tent. I'm getting older and thought sleeping in a hammock might be better then sleeping on the ground. I have researched different hammocks over the last year and finally purchased the Clark Jungle NX-250. Yes, it was expensive but, I looked at it as an investment. If your going to invest money in your outdoor gear, I rather pay a little more and get good value. I've been buying backpacking equipment from REI for years, it's a little more expensive but, the products are good and they have a 100% customer satisfaction policy.

I'm going backpacking in August and I'm looking forward too trying out the NX-250 for the first time. I will post when I get back.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Hammocks are different from your experience on the ground.
    Put that Clark up soon (and often) in your back yard, or in a park, and let us know what issues you have with it!!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    http://youtu.be/ySBPlK0FqBk

I just switched over to a worbonnet, but I love my Clark. Good in the winter if u have they z liner too. Good luck

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsce View Post
    Good afternoon,

I've been backpacking for 25-years. Over those 25-years I have used a tent. I'm getting older and thought sleeping in a hammock might be better then sleeping on the ground. I have researched different hammocks over the last year and finally purchased the Clark Jungle NX-250. Yes, it was expensive but, I looked at it as an investment. If your going to invest money in your outdoor gear, I rather pay a little more and get good value. I've been buying backpacking equipment from REI for years, it's a little more expensive but, the products are good and they have a 100% customer satisfaction policy.

I'm going backpacking in August and I'm looking forward too trying out the NX-250 for the first time. I will post when I get back.
    I'm recently new to hammocking with 5 hangs in my NX-250 i bought a year ago. You're going to be very satisfied with this hammock, but as DemostiX said, I'd recommend you start practicing erecting it in advance. It's not because it's particularly hard, it's just good to know how it works before taking it into the wild.

If you bought tree-straps (about 2m long seatbelt straps to wrap around trees), I can highly recommend upgrading to whoopie sling suspension. I didn't do this for my first 4 hands, but after a bit of practice, I decided to purchase this inexpensive upgrade. It makes adjusting the hammock to the proper hang immensely easier, since you don't have to untie the rope and lengthen or shorten before tying the knot again, to get the right hang. Doesn't hurt it's lighter and less bulky either.

It is also a good idea to practice napping in the hammock a bit. The pockets underneath the hammock are sufficient insulation for some and not for others. It's really annoying to figure out it's not enough when you're out on a trail and can't do much about it. It's also a good idea to practice using your sleeping bag (I assume you use a sleeping bag, as most tent backpackers are) in the hammock. It's hard do describe, but it is harder to be comfortable in a sleeping bag in the hammock for some people.

All that being said, you bought the right hammock and you won't regret it. Good luck

Hi guys, I got a Clark NX-250 6 months ago, I've been lurking the forum for a couple of weeks to learn more about suspensions and technical methods of hanging. I have a trip in June, i intend to use my hammock there. I see that many are going with whoopie slings suspensions I've seen on whoopiesling.com. Is that the best way to go? I'm looking for something that is easy to hook up and adjust without hardware if possible, the AIO system is really cool but $60 is making look for other options or DIY even... I don't mind buying some amsteel to make some stuff but is it worth the time without experience? I like to learn how to do it in case I need to make repairs while camping. What type of ridgeline should I be using with the Clark NX-250? I haven't fully open up my hammock to see what's all inside, I see some lines and some tent poles that's about it. I haven't had a chance to hang it up to sleep or test it yet.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Straps/Line Locker
    Good day Sir! I'm no expert at hanging technique or paraphernalia... However, I am familiar with several sans hardware methods for suspending hammocks. The ones that I have used and recommend employ continuous loops on each end of the hammock. From there, you can use a Becket or Double Becket connect to your suspension straps/lines to the loop. Another method that I use employs a toggle to connect a loop made in your suspension straps/lines to the continuous loop. I’ll include a link to a video that shows a couple of the variations I mentioned. The sans hardware portion of the video starts at approximately 4:40. I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXhHB...tailpage#t=280

As I said, I'm no expert on hammock suspension, so please verify the integrity and safety of these methods with the gurus on the forum prior to putting them into practice or use.

Southernman, that's an excellent video, everything was very clear. I also watched a few more of his videos, they are great as well.

Thank You

I love my Clark 250!!! I use it out in the dessert for weeks at a time in mexico on mission trips and high in the mountains of the Northwest in the snow. So versatile. I love my mummy bag in it. Im like a sleeping worm in a sling. I do recommend Whoopi slings. The crappy polycord it comes with sucks. I also use tree straps with toggles. I use it with a turtle dog stand too. It is amazing in the wind too, shed high wind very well. And I've been in the worst weather I've seen in person and kept dry and warm. Great choice I love love love my Clark.

I have a northface Goliath 3D 0F/-18c sleeping bag, But I'm thinking of getting the Z liner. Wondering if its worth it since I'm in CA

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Remember that even though you have a sleeping bag well capable of handling the temperatures you're going to face, it's very different sleeping in a hammock than on the ground. With my Snugpak Elite 3 -15/-18C rated sleeping bag, I was chilly because of the lack of insulation underneath you even when it was around 10C outside.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast