Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HH Explorer or Blackbird

I'm a bigger guy 5'11, 300lb and am looking into buying my first camping hammock. I've been going back and forth between the double blackbird and the explorer delux. I like all the accessories that come with the hh but after watching Shug's video on the blackbird I am torn. Any advice?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I think either will be a good buy for you.

I have the HH Explorer Deluxe. I'm a bit shorter and smaller than you are, but I think the HH ED would work fine for you. I've heard nothing but good about the WBBB as well.

The "advantage" of the HHED is the extras that come with it. Straps, tarp, snakeskins.

The "advantage" of the WBBB will be the "shelf" that they have built into their design.

Both are excellent choices in this category, and I think it all boils down to which "advantage" you'd prefer.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    I will second what Owl said. Both are good hammocks, I have an HH ED too and it is a good one. The BB is a good one, but have yet to try one out.

One thing I would recommend is to look in the trip planning forum here and see if there is a group hang going on near you and go to it. There you will be able to see several different set ups, and more than likely see a BB and one of the HH's.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I think either will be a good buy for you.

I have the HH Explorer Deluxe. I'm a bit shorter and smaller than you are, but I think the HH ED would work fine for you. I've heard nothing but good about the WBBB as well.

The "advantage" of the HHED is the extras that come with it. Straps, tarp, snakeskins.

The "advantage" of the WBBB will be the "shelf" that they have built into their design.

Both are excellent choices in this category, and I think it all boils down to which "advantage" you'd prefer.
    I agree, both are excellent choices. But you are right on the weight limit of 300 lb for the HH Exped. Though I think there is some slack built into those ratings, I prefer to have some reserve. Have you considered the HH Safari?

This brand ( among many others) is also very highly rated ( though I don't have one yet): http://www.buttinasling.com/bias-cam...mock--red.html

It has a 300 lb rating, but it a double layer pad pocket doubles the rating, so I guess that would be 600 lbs? If so, that would be a lot of reserve!

Just lots of good choices!

Michigan Man lost in Northern Virginia...
    Hammock
    DIY "Bed Zeppelin", BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole & Dutch
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Never tried a WBBB, but I do own a HH Explorer Deluxe. It is a solid piece of work and will hold ya! I'm also 5'11" 275 lbs at the moment ( I'm a Viking, what can I say) and it holds me well. Only complaint would be the combined weight of the hammock & tarp (HH Hex). I'm looking to shed some of the lbs. but if you're worried about a comfortable lay, "rest easy" cause it is a very comfy hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    They are both nicely made and the HH comes with tarp, etc. However, I like the WB Blackbird better because it has the footbox, kind of a pocket on the side for your feet that lets you sleep on more of a diagonal. Without that, your legs get channeled to the inside of the hammock in the narrow part and it's harder to sleep on the diagonal.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I agree, both are excellent choices. But you are right on the weight limit of 300 lb for the HH Exped. Though I think there is some slack built into those ratings, I prefer to have some reserve. Have you considered the HH Safari?

This brand ( among many others) is also very highly rated ( though I don't have one yet): http://www.buttinasling.com/bias-cam...mock--red.html

It has a 300 lb rating, but it a double layer pad pocket doubles the rating, so I guess that would be 600 lbs? If so, that would be a lot of reserve!

Just lots of good choices!
    I have a friend who is of the bigger taller (mostly taller) who has a HH Safari that he likes. We also both have HH Deep Jungle XL's that we like for base camping.

+1 for the BIAS hammock if you want a modular system that you can customize to the seasons you camp in. My go to hammock is the Bias camper hammock in single layer, it is rated to 300lbs. The double layer is rated to 450lbs, if you looks at the section that talks about the double layer.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20deg Incubator
    Suspension
    WWBB stock
    I am 6'1 and 265lbs. My son has the HH explorer deluxe and I have the wbbb dl 1.7. I like them both. If I had to pick one it would be the black bird. Very comfortable and love the new buckles.(very easy) If you get the HH update the suspension. The HH is only 9ft and the BB is 10ft. I felt I had more room in it as well.
    Scoutmaster troop 4312 Jackson, MI

If it's not fun, don't do it

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL, ThunderBird 1.9 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly & Sock
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Re: HH Explorer or Blackbird

I'm 6'1", 265 lbs. I have a WBBB and have used my brothers HH... I recommend WBBB 1.7 DL. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Given the weight, I'd go with the longer of the two, to achieve a flatter lay. The 1.7 dl would work, and the resale value on here is unmatched.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast