first time hang, wonder about the rings inside the hammock

i was just wondering about the two small rings sew to the inside of the hammock. What are those for?
    I tied my ponchos to them, but dont know if that was the right way to use them.
    Also there is a small velcro (something) on the outside of the hammock, what is that for.?

I'm having the hammock in my backpack as i trek alot, are planing a jungle trip to thailand.
    Is there any way i can improve the hammock without increase the weight to much.?

Its a explorer deluxe zip.
    Last edited by denmyos; 06-16-2013 at 14:36. Reason: model

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome to Hammock Forums!
    The rings are to attach the radiant bubble pad to.
    Adding the supershelter gives you decent insulation for weather down to near freezing, a waterproof bottom, and protection from bugs. I leave the shelter attached all the time and remove the pad and roll it up to go in my pack.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Hello and welcome to HF!

As NWOHanger said, the rings are for the double bubble pad (but could also be utilized with other pads as well - but you'd have to fabricate your own attachments on the pad). The velcro on the outside is for holding the bugnet open. Look along the zipper close to the bugnet about halfway down and you'll find the matching velcro patch to mate with the one on the non-zipper side.

"Improvements" are really an individual thing. Get some time to use it as is for a bit and then you'll have a good idea of what works well for you and what doesn't, and what could use improving to make it more useable for you. Personally the stock setup works well for me and there isn't much I would change as it is a well designed package IMO. That said, some of the often recommended changes:

1. Bigger Tarp: The stock diamond tarp is considered small by some, and a bigger tarp is really nice for the extra living space it provides in bad weather. The Hennessy Hex tarp is a good upgrade (if you didn't get it already), and a multitude of tarps are available from many cottage vendors that have great quality and service. It's also nice to use a seperate line to hang the tarp from as it provides a tighter/more adjustable pitch than using the hammock suspension prussics.

2. Suspension: The Hennessy lash isn't easily adjustable. Whoopie slings, cinch buckles and the Garda hitch (using rappel rings) are some of the more popular options to switch to for ease of use. Personally I use a Midshipmans hitch (a tautline knot) that provides adjustability without additional cost or hardware.

3. Tree straps: The 42" tree straps that come standard can be too small to reach around larger trees. Hennessy offers longer ones, or you can make your own from polyester webbing salvaged from ratcheting tie down straps.

4. Snakeskins: If you didn't order them with your hammock. Fantastic method for quickly storing/deploying either the tarp or the tarp and hammock. Either the Hennessy version, DIY (do-it-yourself) or again several vendors offer different versions of these.

If you haven't already, check out the videos stickied at the top of the Hennessy forums - some good info and ideas there, as well as reading past posts from all of the areas here at HF. Lots of great info is at your fingertips.

Hope that helps!
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Hello and welcome to HF!

As NWOHanger said, the rings are for the double bubble pad (but could also be utilized with other pads as well - but you'd have to fabricate your own attachments on the pad). The velcro on the outside is for holding the bugnet open. Look along the zipper close to the bugnet about halfway down and you'll find the matching velcro patch to mate with the one on the non-zipper side.

"Improvements" are really an individual thing. Get some time to use it as is for a bit and then you'll have a good idea of what works well for you and what doesn't, and what could use improving to make it more useable for you. Personally the stock setup works well for me and there isn't much I would change as it is a well designed package IMO. That said, some of the often recommended changes:

1. Bigger Tarp: The stock diamond tarp is considered small by some, and a bigger tarp is really nice for the extra living space it provides in bad weather. The Hennessy Hex tarp is a good upgrade (if you didn't get it already), and a multitude of tarps are available from many cottage vendors that have great quality and service. It's also nice to use a seperate line to hang the tarp from as it provides a tighter/more adjustable pitch than using the hammock suspension prussics.

2. Suspension: The Hennessy lash isn't easily adjustable. Whoopie slings, cinch buckles and the Garda hitch (using rappel rings) are some of the more popular options to switch to for ease of use. Personally I use a Midshipmans hitch (a tautline knot) that provides adjustability without additional cost or hardware.

3. Tree straps: The 42" tree straps that come standard can be too small to reach around larger trees. Hennessy offers longer ones, or you can make your own from polyester webbing salvaged from ratcheting tie down straps.

4. Snakeskins: If you didn't order them with your hammock. Fantastic method for quickly storing/deploying either the tarp or the tarp and hammock. Either the Hennessy version, DIY (do-it-yourself) or again several vendors offer different versions of these.

If you haven't already, check out the videos stickied at the top of the Hennessy forums - some good info and ideas there, as well as reading past posts from all of the areas here at HF. Lots of great info is at your fingertips.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you happyhiker

The first thing that come to mind is snakeskins, should make setting up and taking down a breeze.
    But i'm saving up for my jungle trip and dowry at the same time.

Something more affordable, should be a couple of carabiners and two ring, two make the hammock more adjustable.

I'm still wondering about the small velcro thinny on the outside of the hammock.?

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Cheap DIY snakeskins: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=60317

The velcro on the outside is for holding the bugnet open. Look along the zipper next to the bugnet about halfway down and you'll find the matching velcro patch to mate with the one on the non-zipper side.

If you do go with the Garda Hitch keep an eye on the suspension as some have reported damage to the rope using that method.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by denmyos View Post
    Thank you happyhiker
    Something more affordable, should be a couple of carabiners and two ring, two make the hammock more adjustable.
    If you want affordable, go with amsteel and make some whoopie slings. I bought rings and biners for my Hennessy originally. Came to around $30. Just bought 30' of Amsteel to make whoopies, cost $10.80.

• + New Posts