12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Tarp size?

How should I judge how long the tarp should be? The hammock I'm using is 12' so I was thinking that the tarp should also be 12'. Would this be correct?

I've been putting off this project for far too long so its time to get it done.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    You have to take into consideration the sag of the hammock. Once you have a RL set up you'll see the difference right away. Either way, on a 12 ft'er its going to be a squeeze .
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tarp size?

I'm sorry to hijack this thread but it fit in with one I was going to post. What are your favorite dimensions for your tarp. I have a DIY already that's 12 by 10. I love it but its a monster. Come summer when there is no rain in site I would like something smaller. What do you all think? I am going to make a rectangular tarp for a HH.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I started out with an 8'x10', and while it was rather small, it taught me the intracies of getting a good pitch and staying dry. The next one I made was 12' long, and 10' wide. While it was nice to have that much room, the extra size often restricted where I could hang. My current tarp is just under 11' long, and 10' wide, and I think I have found the perfect dimensions. It's not so long that my suspension runs into it, and it's wide enough that I can get it close to the ground if I need to.

Hope that helps,
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Re: Tarp size?

Well didn't take the sag into consideration, I was thinking since I used an 11' hammock with an 11' tarp is need to increase it the same. I should measure my ridge line and base it off that.

So I guess my question is, how much longer than the ridge line should the tarp be? 6" to a foot on each side?

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp size?

I'd go with a 12 foot tarp. I use 11 foot hammocks and 11 foot tarps with doors. Wouldn't want to go much shorter than that especially without doors.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sploiz View Post
    Well didn't take the sag into consideration, I was thinking since I used an 11' hammock with an 11' tarp is need to increase it the same. I should measure my ridge line and base it off that.

So I guess my question is, how much longer than the ridge line should the tarp be? 6" to a foot on each side?
    I've never been caught in a huge downpour but from what I hear 6"-12" on either end will work just fine. Im kinda in the same boat, I'm just tryin to get into the largest tarp I can while keeping weight in mind.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sploiz View Post

Yep, 6" each end, is a good distance. Still allows for some flexibility in hang angle/suspension clearance and tarp/rl height.
    As PF noted, too long a tarp is often more a hinderance. Big tarps are great for a kitchen or group tarp.

I've built a few micro tarps and poncho tarps for personal use that just barely cover the ends of the hammock. They do the job, but they need special attention to stay dry in windy/rainy conditions. Its nice to have the extra coverage.

• + New Posts