Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Don't give up on hanging. There is a bigger learning curve with hanging a hammock.
    Find a spot in your yard, or somewhere close to hang in case you need to bail out.
    Go to the park or a local lake during the day and play around with the hammock.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wish it was that simple: buy hammock, add water, stir vigorously.

I can't count the number of nights I spent hanging in my backyard, in all sorts of weather, so I would be prepared for hiking and hanging. I started out with a Hennessy Hammock, pad and sleeping bag, and was able to master that system down to a low of 22 degrees.

However, each time I introduced a new component; hammock, hammock suspension, tarp, tarp ridgeline, underquilt, the learning curve started all over again and back I had to go to my back yard test bed.

All that practice has paid off - I am now prepared for raining buckets weather, or even cold down to 3 degrees Fahrenheit. I'll keep practicing and pushing my limits so I can adapt to different situations. This winter I plan on trying a winter sock, and I know that is going to take some practice to see if it works for me.

Otherwise, back to the test bed!

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I know all of us here at hf are biased, but I would definitely give it another shot. I would recommend watching all of Shug's YouTube videos on the basics of hanging (thanks Thom). Second, like was mentioned already, try stuff out in the back yard a couple of times before hitting the trail. Third, I don't know your whole situation, but I can no longer, physically, sleep on the ground in a tent. I, myself, am still new to the whole hammock thing, but at least I can get a good nights sleep in the woods again. So, it allows me to be more than patient on the learning curve. Fourth, try to hook up with some fellow hangers in you local area on a group hang. I was lucky enough to meet people like Olddog and others who were a big help and just were a bunch of good people to hang out with.
    Last edited by Tuck; 06-11-2013 at 16:21.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Definitely don't give up. I have an ENO DN and love it - been sleeping in it for over three years now. Just like everyone has said, there is a learning curve. I've added a tarp, bugnet, Atlas Straps and use a quilted poncho liner in my hammock under my sleeping bag. Once you learn the ins and outs, you will be comfortable in all kinds of weather. I sleep comfortably in weather in the mid 20's on up to the hot summer months. On cool/cold nights, throw a couple of hot hands in your bag. I've slept in 20 degree weather and had to unzip my bag because I was too warm! Anyway, keep trying. Once you find the right set up, you will never sleep on the ground again and you will be getting the best night's sleep you've ever gotten.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Definitely try again! CBS is a rite of passage, and you are due for a good night's sleep!

Anybody live near our new friend here that can go give him a hand setting up???

Lots to learn, but bottom line: Anything below 75 degrees at night (for me) and I will need some insulation under the hammock... sleeping bags don't keep your butt warm...

Follow the Shug videos, they're chock full o' good info!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I have a history of being able to sleep on a pile of ropes. That's different than a hammock. Once you get the bottom insulation right, you'll be fine...real fine.

Thanks for all the good info!

I will try again. I think I will get a GT Skeeter Beeter and start from the basics. In hindsight, hiking out into the woods after dark to try hanging for the very first time probably wasn't wise and the resulting sleepless night is proof.

I will be back with more questions I am sure.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hobkyl View Post
    I will be back with more questions I am sure.
    That's what we are here for.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Hang in there and find a group hang, even if you take your tent you will learn many ways people do things that you can use to develop what works for you
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast