Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It seems like if I end up sleeping on a hammock long term, I'll have to find something that not only is comfortable and will resolve my sleeping problems, but will be warm on the underside too.

Hammocks Rada told me they make a crochet hammock that's 14-14.5 feet long and 8.2 feet wide. Would I be able to find an underquilt that would work with that? And would the hammock be just as comfortable with the underquilt? Would an underquilt be unwieldy at all, or a pain to have installed on a hammock like this?

Would sleeping perpendicular to the anchor points be the most comfortable way to sleep, or does it just depend on the individual? The sense I get is that it may be, but I've never had a hammock that big to try out.

Cannibal, what are the high end Mayan hammock shops you know of? And what's the name of the shop in Colorado you mentioned? Have you thought about contacting them and asking if they can get you another one?

On the other hand, it seems like I could kill 2 birds with one stone (indoor and camping use) if I go with something like a BIAS, but are they big enough to sleep perpendicular to the anchor points with? And is the general consensus that the BIASes are better than the ones I was considering (Switchback, Lite Owl, Roaming Gnome, and Darien) for everyday indoor use?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    Would an underquilt be unwieldy at all, or a pain to have installed on a hammock like this?
    You'll never know it is there, until it isn't. Size is an issue since underquilts are, at this point, designed for outdoor use on much smaller hammocks. Jacks R Better make some family-sized quilts, but they are more wide than long. Not really a problem to add some length to the UQ suspension. I made a couple of quick and cheap underquilts for our hammocks at home using Walmart materials. They aren't pretty, but work very well.
    Would sleeping perpendicular to the anchor points be the most comfortable way to sleep, or does it just depend on the individual? The sense I get is that it may be, but I've never had a hammock that big to try out.
    Depends on the sleeper. It is kind of a bridge-feel when sleeping that way. Very flat, but restrictive on the sides. I've been known to nap in that position, but I don't like it for overnight.
    Cannibal, what are the high end Mayan hammock shops you know of? And what's the name of the shop in Colorado you mentioned? Have you thought about contacting them and asking if they can get you another one?
    Pretty much any of the big hammock retailers like hammocks.com, swings n things, seaside, etc will carry high-end Mayans. I just don't like spending that kind of money to play with different styles. Mayans aren't really my thing, so my knowledge on where to get the best ones is pretty limited. The 'shop' is/was hardly permanent. They basically rent available space on the Pearl Street Mall until the space is leased to someone else. I was up there visiting my friends at Trek Light when I happened upon their shop. I've found them a couple of times since, but that hammock was nowhere in sight. The folks working there don't exactly have the kind of short-term memory that can be trusted, if you know what I'm saying.
    On the other hand, it seems like I could kill 2 birds with one stone (indoor and camping use) if I go with something like a BIAS, but are they big enough to sleep perpendicular to the anchor points with? And is the general consensus that the BIASes are better than the ones I was considering (Switchback, Lite Owl, Roaming Gnome, and Darien) for everyday indoor use?
    This is how I started hanging indoors. My first hammock bought strictly for indoor sleeping was an ENO. I loved it; thought it was the best thing in the world. Then, I got a big cotton Brazilian and realized true comfort. There is just a distinct difference between nylon/poly and cotton for long-term use. Camping hammocks are for camping. I don't use my quilts for cover at home either. Right tool for the job and all that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    2 WBBB 1.7DL, HH JSz,ULBA etc.
    Tarp
    WBSF,Kelty12,GG12
    Insulation
    WBWY, Leigh's 3sUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I sleep in the Tommy Hamaca XX Grande full time and love it. Most comfy hammock I own out of 12.

Cannibal, thanks for all that information!

I'm going to call Seaside and talk to them about their hammocks. Maybe I'll get a Tommy Hamaca XX Grande to try out, since it's not too expensive.

Thurston have you tried any of these: Switchback, Lite Owl, Roaming Gnome, Darien, or BIAS Camper XL?

Hammock
    2 WBBB 1.7DL, HH JSz,ULBA etc.
    Tarp
    WBSF,Kelty12,GG12
    Insulation
    WBWY, Leigh's 3sUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    BreakAes
    I don't have any of those, they came out after I had my hammock collection. Money is tight now so I haven't been able to try out any others.

I do have several WBBB's a WB Traveler w/net, Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker Asym Classic, ENO Dbln as well as 5 down TQ's and UQ's and others I can't recall.
    The Tommy Hamaca XX Grande is great but as Cannibal mentioned you have to be careful about snagging( I always take off my watch etc...) as well as bottom insulation in colder temps this Hammock is quite large. Would love to try a big cotton Brazilian like Cannibal uses.
    I would also agree with Cannibal's comment "Camping hammocks are for camping. I don't use my quilts for cover at home either. Right tool for the job and all that." Sirthurston

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here.
    Following Cannibal's and other senior poster's advice on various forum posts, I scoured the net for Mayan hammocks. I am interested in the Large hammock Nos. 20 (http://www.hammocksrada.com/22-large...ks-no-20.html#) & 16 (http://www.hammocksrada.com/20-large-hammock-no-16.html).

I had a few questions regarding the same and I sent them a message, but they have not replied back.

Can someone please tell me what the difference between the two is, other than the price? The respective pages list the exact same specs for the two.

Secondly, the site states that the cotton hammocks are 70% cotton and 30% nylon, whereas all other sites claim they use 100% cotton. Is this nylon used in the woven part of the hammock (body) or just used in the support harness/arms?

I am also considering:

http://www.mexihammocks.com/mayan-co...mocks-p-3.php#

http://www.meridahammocks.com/catalo...uct/Jumbo-7/21

http://www.kwhammocks.com/XL_Mayan_H...RAL_p/xlmn.htm

I am also interested in a mercerized cotton hammock, for which I considered this: http://www.seasidehammocks.com/TOMMY...ANDE-p212.html

Thirdly, when sites claim the harnesses/arms are made from nylon, is that actual nylon or polypropylene?

Fourthly, although I'm 5' 7", I like a lot of sprawling space, so does anyone make a cotton hammock with body length 3m and width 2.5m?

Cannibal also mentioned that for Mayans, you have to go for the more expensive models if one is to use it for full time sleeping, which I do. I'm in India, so with the hot and humid weather, I'll appreciate the cool weave, I guess. He recommends $300 upwards. Which hammocks do all of you recommend?

Lastly do these companies ship to India?

And sorry for the really prolix post and so many questions. I hope you guys can help me out.

So I'd really appreciate it if you can recommend a bed-replacement hammock for a hot climate. I like to keep my arms stretched over my head and legs pretty much sprawled. I'm only considering cotton and comfort is paramount.

Thanking You
    Last edited by Lauremideus; 07-29-2013 at 01:23.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauremideus View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post here.
    Following Cannibal's and other senior poster's advice on various forum posts, I scoured the net for Mayan hammocks. I am interested in the Large hammock Nos. 20 (http://www.hammocksrada.com/22-large...ks-no-20.html#) & 16 (http://www.hammocksrada.com/20-large-hammock-no-16.html).

I had a few questions regarding the same and I sent them a message, but they have not replied back.

Can someone please tell me what the difference between the two is, other than the price? The respective pages list the exact same specs for the two.

Secondly, the site states that the cotton hammocks are 70% cotton and 30% nylon, whereas all other sites claim they use 100% cotton. Is this nylon used in the woven part of the hammock (body) or just used in the support harness/arms?
    They are not the same width. The "Larger" hammock is indeed larger...a lot wider! I wouldn't go that route if you'll be using the hammock to sleep in solo; just too much material everywhere. That's the thing about most Mayan hammocks, the specs are a nightmare. Neither of those rigs are 656' wide either...I promise.

Since many, if not most of the Mayan hammocks out there are handmade the specs are almost never right. It is frustrating to be sure. In this case though, it looks like just a lazy webmaster.
    I like the hammock from Merida; it's quite comfy. Again, there is a lot of material there for one person. It's manageable, but still an issue to be aware of. I'm not a super fan of the Tommy Hamaca line personally, but they are good hammocks and hard to argue the quality. Never tried anything from KW Hammocks and the MexiHammock rigs look to be 'thick string' Mayans, but the price scares me. It's too low. Not always a bad products (as Hammock Rada shows), but low prices should always make you cautious. Those hammocks take a tremendous amount of labor to make. When I see them sub $50, I always get suspicious.
    Thirdly, when sites claim the harnesses/arms are made from nylon, is that actual nylon or polypropylene?
    Never checked, but I'd bet they do mean nylon. It's cheaper.
    Fourthly, although I'm 5' 7", I like a lot of sprawling space, so does anyone make a cotton hammock with body length 3m and width 2.5m?[
    Are you talking a cotton sheet? If so, then yes there are a few out there. I'll have to dig around when I get time, but look at the Brazilians that are labeled something like "XXL". You may not get all the width you want, but you'll get close. At 5'7" you should be able to spin around to your heart's content.
    Cannibal also mentioned that for Mayans, you have to go for the more expensive models if one is to use it for full time sleeping, which I do. I'm in India, so with the hot and humid weather, I'll appreciate the cool weave, I guess. He recommends $300 upwards. Which hammocks do all of you recommend?
    Actually, if you're going to spend that kind of money and you live in a hot/humid place, I would suggest going the Nicaraguan route. Sorry for the curve-ball.
    The Nics have a tighter weave than the Mayans, which in my opinion, makes them more comfortable. Your fingers and toes are not nearly as likely to get caught in the weave, which will happen in a Mayan from time to time. Easy to find them in 100% cotton too, if that's your preference. You can get a lot of Nic for $300 and it will be better for long term use than a Mayan. They are also a little easier to wash, since the weave isn't as prone to opening and tangling.

You're on an adventure. Good luck and happy napping!
    Trust nobody!

Hi Cannibal,

Thanks for pitching in so promptly. Of course, your advice raises further questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    They are not the same width. The "Larger" hammock is indeed larger...a lot wider! I wouldn't go that route if you'll be using the hammock to sleep in solo; just too much material everywhere. That's the thing about most Mayan hammocks, the specs are a nightmare.
    What size (approx./avg body dimensions) should I be looking at ideally? I'd really appreciate some input here as all the sites recommend getting the largest and biggest hammock that one can budget; which I see is clearly false from what you advice.

Never checked, but I'd bet they do mean nylon. It's cheaper.
    I think polypropylene was the cheaper material... I'm not sure though.

Are you talking a cotton sheet?
    No, I'm considering open weave hammocks.

Look at the Brazilians that are labeled something like "XXL". You may not get all the width you want, but you'll get close.
    From what I understand, you're a big fan and proponent of Brazilians, and with good reason, but aren't they a closed weave design? Won't I appreciate an airy, open weave design instead? I was thinking that a Brazilian/Nic might be more suited to the winters here.

Actually, if you're going to spend that kind of money and you live in a hot/humid place, I would suggest going the Nicaraguan route. Sorry for the curve-ball.
    I'm on a student budget. I was fishing for all the various opinions and options. So a Mayan over $50 should be a good place to start for my needs?

The Nics have a tighter weave than the Mayans, which in my opinion, makes them more comfortable.
    But the closer weave will make it hotter than a Mayan, right?

Are there any particular models that you'd be willing to recommend? Mayans or Nics.

Is the thread count important?

The adventure has commenced! Hopefully, soon, I'll be napping happily in a hammock!

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    Cannibal, do you have any suggestions on where to purchase a decent Brazilian?
    ~We all start at the bottom~

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What size (approx./avg body dimensions) should I be looking at ideally? I'd really appreciate some input here as all the sites recommend getting the largest and biggest hammock that one can budget; which I see is clearly false from what you advice.
    I'm not saying it is "false" at all. Generally speaking, bigger is better. However, there does reach a point where you go "what the heck is all this fabric for". Those jumbo Mayans are really meant for family lounging...I kid you not! For a single sleeper, they just get to be too much. One thing they are really good for is laying perpendicular to the attachments. It is extremely comfortable, but takes up a lot of space
    I think polypropylene was the cheaper material... I'm not sure though.
    That would surprise me, actually. Not that I haven't been surprised before.
    From what I understand, you're a big fan and proponent of Brazilians, and with good reason, but aren't they a closed weave design? Won't I appreciate an airy, open weave design instead? I was thinking that a Brazilian/Nic might be more suited to the winters here.
    Oh yes, you'll get much more air-flow with the Mayans and the Nics. The Mayans are basically a personal air conditioner. I misread your statement when replying orginally. You were asking about dimensions and I was still responding on my previous answer about Brazilians. The dimensions you listed shouldn't be much of an issue. I think the "Larger" hammocks listed earlier are probably pretty close. I could check when I get home.
    I'm on a student budget. I was fishing for all the various opinions and options. So a Mayan over $50 should be a good place to start for my needs?
    I'd say it's a great place to start! Some people (Genuine Draft) are just not big fans of the Mayan weave. I admit, the openness of the weave does create some difficulties when trying to shift around; things just get caught. I think it's better to approach these large hammocks with baby steps. The price can go north very quickly and I speak from personal experience when I tell you it really sucks to spend a bill, or two, only to get a hammock that isn't what you had hoped. Spend some time with the inexpensive models and get an idea of what to look for. I'd tell you what I look for, but everybody's taste is different and I don't want to blamed for a bad purchase.
    But the closer weave will make it hotter than a Mayan, right?
    Warmer, would be a better term. The tighter weave eliminates much of the breeze factor, but is still plenty open enough to vent excess body heat. Our bedroom is about 62° at night and I'm currently sleeping on a Nic without an underquilt. Slept right through the night last night. However, it is still comfortable in the heat of the day. Nics really are a nice middle-ground between Mayans and Brazilians. The good Nics just cost a bit more than the others, dangit!
    Are there any particular models that you'd be willing to recommend? Mayans or Nics.
    Not really and for a couple of reasons. One, the model names at the retail shops change like the weather. The specs are often unreliable and the pictures don't always show the right hammock. Consider it an art-form in purchasing these woven hammocks. The exception, are the Chinese models. They are factory produced (in most cases) and tend to be pretty uniform. Personally, I avoid those. Two, everybody is different. Like I said, I don't want to be blamed for a purchase you don't like. The one rule I live by in the large hammock game, is length. Sure width comes into play, but it is secondary to the length IMO. A hammock that is 12' in overall length is my absolute bare minimum. I prefer the ones that are between 13 and 14' for all of the big three (Brazilians, Mayans, and Nicaraguans). The Nic I'm sleeping in now is just a hair short of 13' and I notice it. Finding the sweet spot last night took me a couple of minutes. That particular hammock would actually benefit from about 8 extra inches in width. It would probably offset the shortness in length. Course, an extra 8" in length would make the width issue moot. Finding the right hammock isn't always easy, but the rewards are great.
    Is the thread count important?
    Back to Brazilians since thread count doesn't matter on a cord hammock. Yes, but probably not in the way you think. I actually prefer a rough surface on my home hammocks. It helps keep the sheets/blankets in place, as they tend to grip a little more on a rough surface. It also just feels better...to me, for the surface to have a texture. Apart from my nylon/poly camping hammocks, I don't want a glossy finish to the fabric. I'll let all the American style spreader-bar nightmare hammocks keep that fabric.

Now, the number of stings used in the weave of the Mayans (in particular) and the Nics is important. The denser the weave, the smaller the openings and the more "springy" the lay. A densely woven Mayan will almost push back against the sleeper. This results in a hammock that is terribly comfortable as it offers just the right amount of resistance. The Nic hammocks do this reliably due to their weave. It is actually the same pattern as the Mayan weave, just denser with a thicker string...usually.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast