What to get first?

Hi, I have a Speer hammock now. I got a Gossamer Gear pad (Evazote) a while back when I had my HH. I have some funds tucked away and not sure what to buy 1st. JRB top quilt or a underqiult and use my sleeping bag. I see KAQ are coming out soon! I need to save some more to get the Speer underquilt. Oh, what to do....
    Greg

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'd say get the underquilt before the topquilt. Since a sleeping bag will work fine, you have that solution covered (get it? covered. ) Plus, given enough time on this site the DIY will bite you. A simple quilt is a good thing to make you feel confident in your gear building skills.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I think Cannibal is right.

Go with a 3 season underquilt since winter will be leaving us shortly. Depending on your sewing skills (NOT a whole lot required) you can just save yourself some money and try to make one. You will save some money if you do your research and get just the right stuff, depending on if you have access to a sewing machine or not.

Depending on the temps you are trying to get down to with your setup, a Climashield Xp synthetic quilt or even a goose down quilt is very doable.By the way, I never sewed one stitch until last fall. My first project was a DIY Under quilt/top quilt. I think it turned out great and I used it as and under quilt (with some wally world blue foam just in case) down to 11deg and was warm. Of course YMMV. My first one was goose down but I think I will try a very lightweight synthetic next...or maybe some thermadrape....if I can get a hold of some. See what Cannibal meant about the bug!

Just my $0.02

Adam

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    See what Cannibal meant about the bug!
    When I first met Coffee, he was preaching the ways of the DIYer. I told him he was nutz and I wanted my gear built by someone that knows what they're doing; I would never be the DIY type for that stuff.

I think it took me a month after that conversation to order some sil from the Speers and try my first tarp. Now, that didn't work out so good but it gave me the experience and knowledge to know I needed more practice. Now an entire corner of my basement is full of bolts of various ripstop, ribbon, sil, salvaged insulation, etc.

It's a disease; run while you still can!
    Trust nobody!

I saw KAQ are coming back and I'll be getting one. I have one being made that will fit my Speer hammock. Not that good with DIY projects,plus no sewing machine.

• + New Posts