Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    You should have seen me over the weekend trying to sew a rolled hem on my Cat Tarp... I was running out of thread and then noticed that the rolled hem was traveling and making the side straight. I seam ripped and started over, then my machine randomly jammed (I don't think it ever had before, for me). I ended up yelling a lot and throwing the hammock across the room. I think I am going to use grossgrain instead of a rolled hem. It will look better anyway. I just need to get thread now.
    As Pan says, that's likely a bent or burred needle. Change it out. Also try oiling the shuttle hook underneath.

I wouldn't recommend using grosgrain as a replacement for a rolled hem. Trim is a good idea for strength, but only in addition to a good hem.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I think the tarp still has a rolled hem whether it has the grossgrain on it or not.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I have exactly the same problem when my bobbin is running out (tight bottom thread, top thread loops on bottom followed by jam). Basically when my bobbin is below 1/4 full it is useless not matter how I adjust the tension. I guess it is a symptom of another problem but the only solution I have for now is switching to a full bobbin then it works fine again. It is kind of annoying having a bunch of 1/4 full bobbins laying around though, I wish I knew what the real problem was.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    I have exactly the same problem when my bobbin is running out (tight bottom thread, top thread loops on bottom followed by jam). Basically when my bobbin is below 1/4 full it is useless not matter how I adjust the tension. I guess it is a symptom of another problem but the only solution I have for now is switching to a full bobbin then it works fine again. It is kind of annoying having a bunch of 1/4 full bobbins laying around though, I wish I knew what the real problem was.
    Sounds like your bottom thread tension might be too low. Then again, I'm not a machine expert
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    You should have seen me over the weekend trying to sew a rolled hem on my Cat Tarp... I was running out of thread and then noticed that the rolled hem was traveling and making the side straight. I seam ripped and started over, then my machine randomly jammed (I don't think it ever had before, for me). I ended up yelling a lot and throwing the hammock across the room. I think I am going to use grossgrain instead of a rolled hem. It will look better anyway. I just need to get thread now.

I did both a rolled hem and the GGR. I did a rolled hem about 1/4 inch wide. I used 1" GGR. Pin the seam first. The cat curve is the hardest to roll and sew at the same time. This is coming from the guy that hates to pin.

Check you bobbin tension for the thread issues.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    It was just that one time, so it was probably something I did that was stupid.

Yeah, I did a rolled hem and then added the grosgrain trim. I used Mettler's 100% poly thread. I dont know if mettler is any better than other threads. I just used it because Hancock fabrics is going out of business and had 500 yd spools for $2.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    It's pretty cool when folks ask where you bought your setup...and the look on their faces when you tell them you made it. (Then they start figuring up how much they spent on their gear that they're almost happy with.)

Great job...thanks for the pics.
    I went on a trip this weekend. A ground dweller asked if my hammock was the same as my friend's. My friend was in a Hennessey Asym. It is gratifying.

Images
    question... are you letting the pick up foot pull the fabric into the machine...or are you hand feeding it in...i had simular problems with mine and the cause was me...i was applying too much tension by hand onto the fabric..and this caused the system to foul up....just an idea good luck

Images
    I finally finished my smaller version of the BlackCat. I had originally decided to make an 9'x8' poncho, that I was going to call the El Gato, but I felt it was going to be too clumsy. So I just made it into small cat cut tarp. I will post pictures, probably, tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    question... are you letting the pick up foot pull the fabric into the machine...or are you hand feeding it in...i had simular problems with mine and the cause was me...i was applying too much tension by hand onto the fabric..and this caused the system to foul up....just an idea good luck
    I guide it with my hands, but I do find myself pushing or pulling at times. I try not to do that, but sometimes it takes some effort to get the fabric to move in the correct direction.
    Last night I had similar problem while fixing a sweater for Chantelle. But it was the result of the sweater material getting pulled down. It happened on the back stitch and the fabric was puckering (seems to happen easily on the back stitch).
    Last edited by lvleph; 03-26-2007 at 06:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123