Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Backcountry Hammock vs Tent and First Hammock Advice

Hi all,

Yesterday when browsing Kickstarter I came across the new Kammok "Glider" product: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...elter?ref=live I'd seen the Kammok before, but was intrigued by the new products (Glider and Dragonfly netting) that will make it a complete package.

I have a big Kodiak Canvas tent, but am looking for something lightweight for backcountry camping. At first I was looking at tents, but the hammock idea intrigues me. So I backed the Kammok Glider at the Adventurer Pack level, which comes with everything.

I saw this comparison here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=49696 with the Kammok coming out on top.

I also saw this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74065 and some here don't think the water retention system is all that great of an idea.

I guess since this is a hammock forum you all would steer me in the direction of a hammock rather than a tent. What are the pros and cons of each?

And if I go with a hammock, thoughts on which direction I should take?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hammock pros:
    - More comfy (for the vast majority of folks)
    - More site selection options - no more finding a flat, open area
    - Set up tarp first and stay dry and above ground flooding issues
    - More comfy (it's important enough to list twice!)

Tent pros:
    - Easier to use when there are no trees (although I often use a hammock stand)
    - More foolproof (using a hammock system has a slightly steeper learning curve, although very much worth it!)

TONS of threads on here about the benefits of hammocks, but I just started one that lists folks' reasons for loving hammocks here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74089

As far as recommendations - the Kammocks are certainly nice, but like the Enos most find that they're more recreational (you can certainly sleep in them, but most find other options a bit better) and move on to other small business providers (aka cottage vendors). I'd recommend looking at Warbonnet as they have a nice selection and are very highly regarded for quality and great design (the wait times are around 30 days right now, though). My two most comfortable hammocks - the Blackbird XLC and Ridgerunner - are made by Warbonnet.

www.warbonnetoutdoors.com

Other vednors worth checking out:
    www.buttinasling.com
    www.dream-hammock.com
    www.wildernesslogics.com/

Compared to a canvas tent, any of these are featherweights. If you provide more specific needs, though, we can probably help dial in additional recommendations.

Also, keep in mind that for a hammock setup, you'll need the following. If you're real interested, I'd recommend the book The Ultimate Hang by Derek Hansen. It's a short, illustrated and EXCELLENT primer on hammock camping. You can get it from him at his web site www.theultimatehang.com, Amazon or as an eBook if you don't want to wait.

- Hammock (for laying in)
    - Suspension (for attaching the hammock to the tree - most hammocks come with this)
    - Tarp (for keeping you dry)
    - Top insulation (a sleeping bag laid on top - or a top quilt, which is like a sleeping bag but without a bottom and zipper)
    - Bottom insulation (a pad laid under you to keep you warm from all that cool air flowing under you - or an underquilt, which is like an opened sleeping bag, underneath the hammock to keep you warm, but doesn't squish the insulation when you lay in it)
    Last edited by breyman; 06-06-2013 at 23:00.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Here's an advantage. On this trip I was on a trail that still had a foot and a half of snow but I found this hill where there was no snow at all. Certainly not tent friendly

There are many pros and cons but I think the common denominator for us is comfort. Once you learn how to hang and work out any newbie kinks, it is a far superior way to sleep in the back country. I would seriously do some more research after you get some suggestions here. If you want to a lighter weight and proven hammock system, then going with our vendors here is the way to go IMO. Warbonnet outdoors makes the Blackbird which is the most popular camping hammock here but other vendors like Dream Hammocks have great products and service as well.

When will you be doing most of your camping? In addition to a hammock, tarp and bugnet, you will need top and bottom insulation. Because of convective heat loss your back can become cool even in moderately warmer temperature

I have nothing against Kammock but I would not use their gear for backcountry trips simply because there are better options available IMO.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I've recently made the complete switch from tent to hammock. Here are some of my thoughts.
    1. Comfort- I no longer have to find level ground without rocks. I can always find trees in my area so the hammock is consistent. I no longer roll off of my pad onto the hard ground. In the hammock I can move around and am comfortable.

2. Convenience- I can hang my hammock and tarp within 5-10 minutes. That includes strapping my pack to a tree. I can pack it back up in about 3 minutes.

3. Maintainence- no need for a ground cloth, no need to sweep out my hammock.

There really aren't any downsides for me. Money perhaps. I saw the many options and different gear and thought I'd never need/want any of it. Now that I've been using my hammock often the more I understand the top quilts, under quilts, webbing, dutchware, amsteel, etc.. I liked backpacking and camping before, but now I love it. A comfortable nights rest can make a world of difference.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhott View Post
    ...I liked backpacking and camping before, but now I love it. A comfortable nights rest can make a world of difference.
    This is an often overlooked advantage. I can enjoy a trip more because I've had a good nights sleep and I'm rested so I can do what's physically needed without having to spend the first part of the morning getting the kinks out.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Hey, BA! Welcome to the board! Come on in! Set a spell and relax!! There's cold ones in the fridge.

Another advantage of a hammock system over a tent is that the hammock packs much smaller. No poles.
    A good hammock system isn't necessarily lighter than a good one-man tent, but you can shop the weight spces for your self.
    For me, the main driver to switch was comfort. After I rolled past 50 it got too hard to sleep on the ground. I now get up in the a.m. without hip pointers or shoulder bruises. My back feels so much better, too.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hey, thanks for the replies guys! And I appreciate the welcome.

So Warbonnet is the top brand here huh? The Dream Hammocks site seems down, at least right now.

Honestly, I haven't done any backcountry camping yet, but I'd like to at some point. Next weekend I'll be going up to Tahoe with a friend. We'll be using the big Kodiak Canvas tent (10'x14'). After that I'll be doing a paramotoring course, and I'll be using the tent for that too. However, I started looking into lightweight gear for other purposes. I'm even thinking about paramotor camping! So I'd need it for that.

The hammocks seem cool. So in terms of lightweight sleeping gear, it basically comes down to hammocks vs tents right? My sense is that it does seem hammocks are better. Breyman, the only con "really" seems to be when there are no trees, based on what you're saying.

I do have a question about side sleeping though. Is that possible with a hammock? That's the only way I can sleep, in a bed at least.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    no need to sweep out my hammock.
    If I can trash in my hammock I just turn it over.

Warbonnet is one of the best and the BB is my (and the wife's ) go to hammock for overnight but there are many great hammocks out there, the problem is finding the hammock that works best for you.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    When you lay in a hammock, you should be laying at a diagonal. When you lay at a diagonal you will be very flat. Since you are very flat you can lay on your side in a hammock. Laying on your side in a hammock is amazingly comfortable.
    There are tons of great hammock manufacturers some big and some very small like myself.
    Tomorrow I'm making a MultiCam Camo hammock for myself.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Bridge hammocks are pretty much the flattest hammock you can get so if you are a side sleeper, look into those as well. Warbonnet makes a bridge hammock called the Ridgerunner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast