Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problems hanging with ground dwellers

Hey ya, just went out in the Hell's Canyon area with some ground dwellers. I saw lot of places for me to hang and lots of places for them to sproll in the dirt. Precious few spots together though. First night was great but the second night we had to set up in a hurry and I ended up trying to hang between a couple of bushes with my butt dragging the ground. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Often times the hang spots are not tent friendly but that's a good thing. It means there less traffic around you. You may have to set up away from the tenters but that happens with hangers as well. The hangs spots can also be spread out. Just accept that you may have to walk more getting to and from the group areas.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    Luckily, most places we hang with our kids has a tent site nearby, even in backcountry, the camp sites area usually around some good hang spots, or we've just been lucky so far.

We did have to hike just a little further on the trail when we went out with ground dwelling friends, but that was 90% choice just to have some separation from the group.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Often times the hang spots are not tent friendly but that's a good thing. It means there less traffic around you. You may have to set up away from the tenters but that happens with hangers as well. The hangs spots can also be spread out. Just accept that you may have to walk more getting to and from the group areas.
    +1. This is often my experience, too. This works out well for me, personally, as I sleep better without snorers and other noise around me. I like sleeping off by myself.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    what some consider an inconvenience, others consider a benefit, or so i read...

as a m/c camper/hanger, for this discussion, i find the distance between individuals to be comforting

our group will take from 2 - 5 sites in a state park, where we will have various styles of campers, incl; hammocks, small tents, large tents, pop-ups, travel trlrs & large goose-necks

our area can, sometimes, be strung out for over 100yds and that involves a walk, to the common camp fire

the only DRAWBACK to our arrangement is when a gaggle of POORLY BEHAVED SCOUTS sets up across the drive, w/ a plethora of 2-mantle, gas burning, illumination devices that sound like jet engines & keep the entyre park in a daylight-like flood of light, into the wee hours...

& they think that as long as their camp is lit, it is ok to blow that blankety blank horn

i relish a good spread, between individuals & specially between larger groups/gaggles

just an old man's personal point of view

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Well, past experiences like the OP's have led me to plan my first overnight solo for this weekend. The group I sometimes hike with is mostly REI-equipped tenters with the rare bivy or tarp dweller.So they are not looking for hammock-friendly places. which is fine - hammocking is my choice, as is my participation in that group, but in the past I've hung with my feet 1 foot from a lightly used trail and once in a thicket of poison oak before on their trips.
    So, I unsigned myself up from the group trip this weekend and will do a hike in the same area as a solo. Also, I'm old, cranky, and slow.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Even when with a group of hangers I tend to set up off bye myself, so same thing if there are grounndies.

I crave the solitude at bedtime.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Funny, I've found that it's usually everyone else that prefers that I sleep far away...LOL!

Snoring has always been an issue for me, and for my son Wes who also likes to hang with us.

We tend to sleep a good ways from most groups as a result.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    the only DRAWBACK to our arrangement is when a gaggle of POORLY BEHAVED SCOUTS sets up across the drive, w/ a plethora of 2-mantle, gas burning, illumination devices that sound like jet engines & keep the entyre park in a daylight-like flood of light, into the wee hours...

& they think that as long as their camp is lit, it is ok to blow that blankety blank horn
    That's too bad that you run into that sometimes. While scouts can certainly create more noise than others, they should be following basic camping ettiquette - especially being mostly unheard (while probably not asleep - but at least quiet) after about 10 or so.

If you run into that again, you should go to the group, ask for the Senior Patrol Leader (the scout in charge) and talk to him about the situation. At least that's what I'd do. The good part about scouts - as opposed to other loud and obnoxious groups I've run into at many car camping campgrounds (as if I needed another reason to backpack) is that they aren't drinking or consuming other illegal substances that can make any kind of small request turn into a serious confrontation.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    That's too bad that you run into that sometimes. While scouts can certainly create more noise than others, they should be following basic camping ettiquette - especially being mostly unheard (while probably not asleep - but at least quiet) after about 10 or so.

If you run into that again, you should go to the group, ask for the Senior Patrol Leader (the scout in charge) and talk to him about the situation. At least that's what I'd do. The good part about scouts - as opposed to other loud and obnoxious groups I've run into at many car camping campgrounds (as if I needed another reason to backpack) is that they aren't drinking or consuming other illegal substances that can make any kind of small request turn into a serious confrontation.
    I agree with this statement completely. The SPL of my troop has control. We do try and monitor the noise after 8:30 and in general if the group is up and rowdy after 9:30 at night the day time program was not strenuous enough. A gentle reminder that there are other campers in the camp should be enough to quite the group down. We also limit the propane fueled lanterns to 1/patrol, and I turn them out after campfire if the patrol leaders forget to. Nothing I hate more than a bright light shining in my eyes whilst trying to sleep.

Mike Brannon
    Scout Master to the stars.
    (At one time we had all Star scouts.) I've never dropped the moniker.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast