Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie needs help with setup

Hello,

I am completely new to hammock camping and I am overwhelmed with all the systems and information I'm reading about.

My GF bought me a ENO DoubleNest along with the Atlas Straps. I've only used it once so far at the park, but it seems to work fine.

I also have the ENO Guardian BugNet which I have not used or set up yet.

Lastly, I will be purchasing a tarp to keep with me in case of rain. Most likely a Hennessey Hex.

My ENO BugNet came with this thin rope that I'd like to not use. So I'd like to use some leftover paracord instead. I want to be able to use this paracord kind of as a line for me to hang a pouch from to keep some small items, but also to use as suspension for my BugNet when I need it. Furthermore, I'd like to just throw the tarp on top of that too when it starts to rain.

So, how do I get this done? How much paracord do you think is sufficient to carry around with me in my hammock pack? 20 feet?

How do I tie the paracord to each end? What is the simplest way to tie both ends nice and tight? I am willing to buy something to make that easier. I am even willing to buy something other than paracord if you think I should spend the money.

My plan was to buy 2 Nite-Ize Figure 9's to attach each side of the paracord to each tree. Just wanted to check with you guys before I make the purchase.

If that will work, then I will basically just have my ENO DN hammock, ENO Guardian bugnet, Atlas straps, Paracord (how long?), 2x Nite Ize Figure 9 Large, Hennessey tarp, 4 stakes for the tarp (I'm thinking MSR Groundhogs).

One more question, what do you guys use as an accessory pouch? If I wanted to hang a pouch on my bugnet/tarp line for small items.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by tspunk; 06-04-2013 at 14:16.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    You don't need to use the rope that came with the bugnet at all. I run the hammock through an end of the bugnet and feed it out the other end, the bugnet stays off of me because of my hammock ridgeline. If they are still making the bugnet with the velcro on the ends, I just tighten my velcro so that it stays over the ends like it should.

Paracord....it stretches. Are you wanting to use paracord for your tarp ridgeline? Did I follow that right? You can, but keep in mind it will stretch. I'd run it over the tarp instead of under since it will start to soak up rain. I keep 25' for tarps and that is a bit much....but I purchase 50', cut in half and put with each tarp.

I did not know paracord will stretch. Can you recommend something else I should use for my bugnet and tarp?

Yes, I want to use 1 line above my hammock to clip my bugnet to, and to throw my tarp over.

I read about Amsteel. Do you think this would work better for me? http://www.amazon.com/25-ATV-16-Synt...374073&sr=8-15

I guess with this, I could just loop one end around a tree and then through the eyelet, and then on the other side, use a Nite-Ize Figure 9?
    Last edited by tspunk; 06-04-2013 at 14:34.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by tspunk View Post
    I did not know paracord will stretch. Can you recommend something else I should use for my bugnet and tarp?

Yes, I want to use 1 line above my hammock to clip my bugnet to, and to throw my tarp over.

Thanks!
    Lets start here: Do you not have a ridgeline on your actual hammock? The hammock ridgeline is 83% the length of your hammock from suspension point to suspension point....if you do an adjustable ridgeline you would be easily able to adjust your hammock hang.

Have you changed out your hammocks standard suspension?

Your tarp can be hung under or over a separate line and then using prusik knots to make it easily adjustable. This will all stay together once you have your tarp initially sat up. No retying except except attachment to one tree. Your other tree can have fixed loop in the line and simple caribiner, then that end of your cord never needs changed no matter where you are at. (you can use mule tape for the tree strap of the tarp line). As for the actual tarp line....you could use zingit or lashit. You can use that same kind of cord, but separate from our tarp for your hammock ridgeline.

You really should keep the tarp line and tarp separate from the rest of your system so that your hammock, bugnet, and UQ always stay dry.

I can explain more when I get home and get you video links on the simplicity of the system; unless someone else chimes in before I can get there.

You're just experiencing information overload right now. In it's entirety, the system (sleep, bug, and tarp) is actually very simple after the first set-up. Then not much at all will change with your system, only the distance of the trees.

Okay,

So I need 2 separate lines for the bugnet and the tarp.

I'll use the 2 Figure 9's for the bugnet.

For the tarp, I'll just run a continuous ridgeline with the line above the tarp, like this photo: (I'll probably use another Figure-9 for this too since I don't like to deal with knots).

That sounds easy enough.

So your recommendation is just using Zing-it for both lines? Not Amsteel?

Can you recommend the length? 25' per line sound right?
    Last edited by tspunk; 06-04-2013 at 15:51.

Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Instead of using two separate lines for the tarp and bugnet you should perhaps find a way to attach the bugnet to the tarp ridgeline. The tarp usually has some sort of D-ring at the ends as shown in the picture above. You could run shock cord from the bug net through there, perhaps using a small s-biner to hook onto the D-ring? Be mindful of how the bugnet reacts when you lay down in the hammock, will it produce any stress on the lines going up to the ridegeline?

I think DivaB may confuse you when he talks about two ridgelines. The first he mentions is the one that is a part of many hammocks. Itīs usually called a structural ridgeline since it helps giving the hammock the proper amount of sag. This line is not used to attach a tarp to. The other one is the one you have on the picture and thatīs what you use for tarp and, in this case, bug net.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I prefer a continuous ridgeline for my tarp. I use 1.75 mm Zing-It, a Dutch hook, Dutch Tarp Flyz, and 1.75 mm Zing-It soft shackle prusiks to move the tarp along the continuous ridgeline.

They sell them here (though I made my own):

http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Single...are-CRL-DE.htm

Here's a vid:

My experience has been that the tarp dictates whether you hang the tarp over or under the continuous ridgeline. I had a HG CF standard tarp with straight-cut ridgeline that could not be hung under the CR and expect a taut pitch. Whereas, the cat-cut ridgeline on my HG Winter Palace tarp almost requires that I hang the tarp under the ridgeline.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I agree with DivaB. Don't use the paracord. It will stretch and if it gets wet will stretch even more.

See if you can find some Zing it to make your ridgelines from or you can just purchase the entire set up premade. I got mine here: http://shop.whoopieslings.com/ I use a whoopie sling as my structural (weight bearing) ridgeline and their tarp ridgeline for the tarp.

I am using an ENO DBL and a Bushcraft USA (BCUSA) 10' tarp. Which tarp you purchase and personal preference will determine if you want a double (attach each end of tarp) ridgeline or a single (runs the full length of the tarp) ridgeline set up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    ...again; does your hammock have a rideline added to it yet (this is really key to answering some of your bugnet questions?)

Yes, tarp line separate from the rest of the system. This will allow you to set-up and tear down under your tarp without your sleep system ever getting wet.

Below are just some quick examples:

TARP
    Rig a tarp with hardware http://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/r...with-hardware/

Rigging a tarp with out hardware http://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/r...k-no-hardware/

Tarp continuous ridgeline: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/v...s-with-a-tarp/

Hammock Ridgeline
    Fixed line hammock ridgeline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs5kkzASq28

Adjustable hammock ridgeline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE0AV...A664B7DB54D947

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Welcome to Hammock Forums!

As you can already see, there's a giant resource of information here, and it can be overwhelming. Add to that the fact that there are multiple ways to do just about everything, and that everyone has their own preference ... you get the picture.

First thing's first - go HERE and if you haven't already, check out Shug's great video series for beginners. If you've already seen them, cool. You're well on your way. If not, invest the time some evening when you've got a while. He covers a broad range of topics from hammocks to ridgelines, tarps, insulation - everything you need to get up and running.

Once that's done, take a deep breath, and dive in.

As for your questions:

Like others have said, don't use paracord. It stretches, and there are other stronger lighter options out there (though if that's all you have, you can still make it work).

When it comes to amsteel, honestly you'll only need that when and if you decide to alter the stock suspension that comes with your ENO. You'll probably want to eventually - but for now, amsteel is overkill for any application other then actually hanging your full body weight.

What I'd suggest is getting yourself a spool of Zing-it. I think Redden Marine has a running hammockforums 5% coupon code for forum members. Either size is fine (2.2mm or 1.75mm), but I'd suggest the 1.75mm. It's harder to learn to splice on, but eventually if you stick with this hammock thing, it's more compatible with fun gadgets like Dutchware and other fun things. With shipping it'll cost you less than $30. This has a million uses, from tarp lines to ridgelines, utility cord, etc. It's strong, light, and hollow core so it can be spliced. If you don't know how to splice, don't worry - you can still tie knots in it. You can buy small amounts to order from a lot of the cottage vendors - but that means you have to know exactly what you need, what for, and how much. And if you forget something, you'll have to get more, which means paying more shipping.

For your tarp/bugnet/line question:

You've got an ENO Guardian, which is meant to be suspended from above. So at this point it really doesn't matter if you have a ridgeline on your hammock or not. That being said, you kind of have 2 options.

1.) Use one line to hang tarp and bugnet.

In this scenario, your tarp will need to go on top of this line, so that your bugnet has access to it. You'll also limit the height you can hang your tarp (and accordingly the amount of standing room you have underneath) since there's only so high you can hang it to still use it with the bugnet (unless you get creative). Also, you'll have to find a way to tension your tarp along that line - to stretch the ridgeline connection points of the tarp towards the trees.

2.) Use two lines

This is easier in principle, but requires you to carry two lines, and take the time to set them both up. Basically, you'll set up your hammock. Set up the line for your bugnet the appropriate height above that. Then set up the tarp line above that.

Any of these solutions have pre-made options, if you like. Whoopieslings.com sells pre-made ridgeline systems for tarps of all types. Dutchwaregear.com sells all sorts of fun little items to hang tarps, and sells zing it as well. I think he's even been known to attach the two via splicing if you ask nice.

It all depends on how complicated you want to get, and how quickly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast