Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WBBB for newbie? Would HH Explorer be better?

Hi all,

I have been sleeping in a hammock since Jan of this year.

My hammock was a very thrifty ripstop I purchased from BestBuy, which has served me well as an indoor-only hammock, used in place of a bed.

Unfortunately the hammock isn't very well made, and the rope suspension that is sewed into the ends of the hammock has frayed, and now the core has split -- my next hang will probably break it fully.

While I have plenty of experience sleeping in a hammock indoors, I have no experience with the outdoors. With the hot weather coming (and a house with no A/C), sleeping outdoors sounds good to me.

My biggest concern is that I have never set up a hammock on trees, and have zero knowledge of knots.

With that in mind, my requirements for a hammock are thus:

Roomy, I'm 6' ~210lbs. I'm concerned the smaller HH Explorer would not be too comfortable, compared to the WBBB which is rated for much taller people.

A skeeter net is mandatory, and I will need a tarp (which I understand has to be purchased afterwards for the WBBB, but is there a cheaper DIY solution?)

Other than that, I'm really looking at what has the most friendly suspension. I believe they both have a ridgeline which should help,

The final requirement is quality. I'll be sleeping in this either outdoors or in almost every night.

My budget is <$250, since I know I already really enjoy sleeping in a hammock I'm not afraid to spend some money.

I'm leaning towards the WBBB with a DIY tarp, but I'd love suggestions.

Are there any accessories that would make life easier in regards to suspension?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    The WBBB comes with a great stock suspension in the buckle system. I still use it to this day. I have both but the few featues of the BB really push it over for me (footbox, shelf, double layer, stock suspension). I would consider pushing your budget over a touch and getting a decent tarp together. It'll save you money in the long run.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Go with the WBBB with strap suspension, get a biner an your set. The HH has rope suspension that requires figure 8 knots is tricky till you get the hang of it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl &amp; XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ &amp; Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti &amp; 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

WBBB / Noobie

I am 6'2", 210#, 63YO.

I like my WBBB, and switched back to straps after trying whoopie slings on it. Jury is still out regarding which suspension system is better, but I believe the WBBB is an outstanding product. Very satisfied with it, and the company.

I recommend getting the best hammock affordable then go after a good tarp. I think cheap products work great in the backyard, but not when you need to depend on them. Recommend that you consider the Superfly & pullouts with door kit next.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    With some pics of your current setup, we should also be able to see if we can help and get you sorted as well!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&amp;Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have experience with both.

Been a long-time HH camper, but bought a WBBB 1.7 double several years ago and I love it! I ordered mine with the strap & buckle option. With this setup there are no knots to tie, tweaking the angle of the suspension is easy, and there are no tree straps for me to leave on the tree (I have actually done that).

I like the double bottom as I can opt for CCF pads, inflatables, or underquilts depending on the weather. Size-wise I am 275# 5'-10" and the WBBB is roomy for me.

My tarps are the WB Superfly for bad weather and an OES McCat for summer.

That said, HH is still a very good choice. The line suspension is not that onerous to deal with, but it is not as quick to adjust. Practice and experience help. The HH Hitch always worked for me.

Jim

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You are going to LOVE either one after what you have been using!
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I have the Blackbird. Never even slept in a hammock before set it up at my sister's place just for a test and in my basement for about a 20 minute nap.

Well we went camping for a 4 nighter and I had 0 issues. I couldn't quit talking it up to my buddy that I was camping with. We are both bigger guys (not in the height department ) and both found the wbbb to be very roomy. He bought the ENO single to try out. He enjoyed it, But has already been bitten by the bug to get another rig. I would not hesitate to recommend the blackbird, but cannot say to go with it over another hammock because I simply do not have experience with other hammocks. I also probably won't be being another brand because I am ,100% satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    With some pics of your current setup, we should also be able to see if we can help and get you sorted as well!
    No pics, but my indoor setup involves two eye hooks mounted into studs.
    I then use one of these to extend the length, and attach my hammock to the other end via the provided hook.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Another plus on the WBBB! I also have the adjustable webbing suspension, it's really simple. As for the tarp, I have had the ENO Profly since my second hang. I got mine for $80 but then I saw one later on for $60..... lol
    Brock!
    2 Samuel: 22
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
    (")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast