Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So the price for a DL 1.1 WBBB with carabiners and stakes is already quite close to my budget (with shipping to Canada).

I'm looking for help in regards to a tarp. I think I have a few options.

I could go with the cheapest tarp WB offers,

I could buy another brand of tarp if there are any at a lower price point than the edge (~$80).

I could also make my own.

In my case weight isn't an issue as I won't be camping in it (at least yet), so maybe I could use a different material than silnylon?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by finitesm View Post
    So the price for a DL 1.1 WBBB with carabiners and stakes is already quite close to my budget (with shipping to Canada).

I'm looking for help in regards to a tarp. I think I have a few options.

I could go with the cheapest tarp WB offers,

I could buy another brand of tarp if there are any at a lower price point than the edge (~$80).

I could also make my own.

In my case weight isn't an issue as I won't be camping in it (at least yet), so maybe I could use a different material than silnylon?

If you're using it for a full time sleeping solution ououtdoors, I would Look for the most coverage you can afford right now.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    My first was the WBBB. My only change has been to the longer XLC. Great hammocks that sleep oh so nice. Might just hang mine for a nap later today......
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Quote Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
    If you're using it for a full time sleeping solution ououtdoors, I would Look for the most coverage you can afford right now.
    Do you think coverage is really that important? I understand when camping most people like to have extra tarp to create a dry area for them to cook etc, but I have no such requirements.

So I only need a tarp which covers the hammock, nothing more. This means the Edge should work well, should it not?

If it really is that large of a concern, perhaps I should DIY to get a much larger tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    My first was the WBBB. My only change has been to the longer XLC. Great hammocks that sleep oh so nice. Might just hang mine for a nap later today......
    Is the XLC a big upgrade to the WBBB? What is your height/weight?

I might grab the XLC and go with a very cheap DIY tarp for now if it makes that large of a difference.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Are you going to leave this set up, or take it down every day?

If you plan to leave it out in the weather, there is no way I would do that to a good tarp. WallyWorld poly, ftw.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    See my For Sale thread. PM me if you are interested. I've budgeted in 5.00 for CONUS shipping, we could figure out the diff to ship it to you in Canada if you like and no one else beats you to it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by finitesm View Post
    Is the XLC a big upgrade to the WBBB? What is your height/weight?

I might grab the XLC and go with a very cheap DIY tarp for now if it makes that large of a difference.
    I am not very tall at 6 even but I am a big boy at 260. The extra foot is a huge difference in how quickly I can get comfortable. The sweet spot is easier to find in it. As to tarps I am looking at the hex tarp from Hennesy for my boy who now has my original wbbb. Cheapest large tarp I have found so far.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym
    Suspension
    Straps
    Welcome to another Ontarian!

I'm also from Ontario and just happen to be an HVAC mechanic... so about that air conditioner... (kidding)

I have no experience with a WBBB but I do have a Hennessy Explorer that I slept in quite often last summer out in the backyard and it was great. I love it! I am 6'1 and ~225 right now, and it has enough room for me. I haven't ever felt cramped in it, but then again I haven't tried any others yet.

I'm still pretty happy with it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For my first hammock, I was also torn between a Hennessy and the WB Blackbird. In my case, I was looking a the Deep Jungle XL since I wanted a double layer hammock. In the end, I felt the the Blackbird was the better deal and I haven't regretted it. I believe the HH Explorer is not as roomy as the WB BB, and this is something that is important if you are planning to spend so many nights in it.

If I understood you correctly, you don't really need a hiking tarp, but a permanent backyard tarp. In this case, I would go with something sturdy that won't be as susceptible to UV rays as the silnylon tarps. I use a canvas tarp for exactly this purpose. It's heavy. It's big. It doesn't pack down small. But for home use it's excellent. It protects me not only from rain, but also from the sun. You won't get that much sun protection from a hiking tarp. Maybe check your local military shop for a canvas tarp? Mine was quite cheap, although more expensive than a poly tarp. But it will stand up to continued use much better. So in the long term, it should come cheaper and more ecological as well than replacing poly tarps every so often.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast