Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie

Question

Arrived, look great, thanks!
    Query: How is it we could group buy a relatively small quantity for under $1, and the BSA with its' buying power charges $2.50 for a merit badge patch?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    WLMiller- That is a fantastic thing you are doing. I ordered 50 last year and the troop has really got into the vibe of hammocking. We did our version of a sweat shop to make the gear and worked it like a typical merit badge, blue card and all. I will be awarding the first group of five boys with their merit badges and special slides at the next court of honor. It was a great experience thanks to you WL

At our last backpacking trip we had 10 out of 13 in hammocks.
    Man, that is awesome. I should start a new thread to ask how people are using these. Hope you guys enjoy them.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    +1 .....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
    Query: How is it we could group buy a relatively small quantity for under $1, and the BSA with its' buying power charges $2.50 for a merit badge patch?
    Hmm Good question Fuzzie. How is it a BSA shirt cost me $50.00 for an 11 year old to out grow in 3 months. It must be that this patch did not have the $1.50 Fleur-De-Lis on it.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post
    Man, that is awesome. I should start a new thread to ask how people are using these. Hope you guys enjoy them.
    WL- Thanks again for the inspiration and the huge effort you undertake to spread the word.

Like Just Jeff, Shug, Knotty and many others here you are a force multiplier.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WB BB DL XL
    Tarp
    SilNylon (rectngl)
    Insulation
    BA Insulatd Inflat
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
    Yup. Switchback pants went from $35 to $50 a couple of years ago. A bottle of water at summer camp (Camp Raven Knob in NC) costs $1.50.
    I am glad that BSA is a wealthy organization. It's a fantastic program, they have some tremendous real estate (Philmont, etc.) that I am sure they don't pay taxes on and 98% (my guess) of their labor is unpaid. Scouting is expensive and worth every cent but if you can't afford it, you can't be a Scout. We have lost boys (who needed Scouting) due to cost and IMO BSA's overcharging for required items is a major factor. Yes, we have addressed this on a Troop level but most Troops have limits to how far they can go and many families are too embarrassed to say that they can't afford it. I am familiar with OA's Campership program, etc. but BSA is raising funds in the wrong way IMO. BSA has also put amateur's in position to make decisions regarding large capital investments or sales of real estate that fell far short of the return they could have obtained.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Guys, the BSA-costs angle should go to the Off-Topic forums. This thread is about the patches.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Regarding the patches, I came across your patch while searching for a "hammock" patch for one of our BSA patrols. Some of our boys like hammock camping when the mosquitoes and weather agrees.

All I can find is the Banana Hammock patch. Surprised there isn't another choice available. I would guess a customized design would be pricy in small runs.

Mike-Scout Master

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234