Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Video: Packing Light in the Pecos

Loved this video, Grizz! We are, at heart, all 'gear heads', and this was wonderful to watch! Found many ways to drop weight. Loved the area, too! Great hiking terrain, with spectacular views along the way! I have been considering a front pack, as well, and will now research that one! Thanks!

Don't stay digitally away so long! Your videos are greatly anticipated and valued!

~ SkyPainter
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered-end ACU hammock.
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Packing Light in the Pecos

Thanks Grizz for an awesome video. And great timing. I am planning a trip to that very area next week. I have never been there and so your video gives me some great insight on what to expect. I'm very excited to see there is still water in the lakes due to the severe drought in NM, I'm hoping to do some fishing while there. Thnx again for a great video.
    CH;-\

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Another thanks Grizz. I liked the front pack so much, I think I just may order one myself.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    Loved this video, Grizz! We are, at heart, all 'gear heads', and this was wonderful to watch! Found many ways to drop weight. Loved the area, too! Great hiking terrain, with spectacular views along the way! I have been considering a front pack, as well, and will now research that one! Thanks!

Don't stay digitally away so long! Your videos are greatly anticipated and valued!

~ SkyPainter
    Thanks SkyPainter...we are gearheads indeed.
    Hoping to get a vid out this summer doing compare/contrast of three different bridge hammocks, JMBH, WB, and of course, mine. A niche to be sure, but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by chazham View Post
    Thanks Grizz for an awesome video. And great timing. I am planning a trip to that very area next week. I have never been there and so your video gives me some great insight on what to expect. I'm very excited to see there is still water in the lakes due to the severe drought in NM, I'm hoping to do some fishing while there. Thnx again for a great video.
    I've seen there are a couple of wildfires in the general area this weekend, one near the town of Pecos, with trailhead closures. Hope that gets cleared up soon and doesn't affect your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Another thanks Grizz. I liked the front pack so much, I think I just may order one myself.
    Could be that some additional step for me on the way to lower pack weight is ditching the waist belt, and if I did that the front pack would be absolutely indispensable because I'd lose the side pockets too. But I'm not so sure yet I'd give up on the waist belt and the pockets....

I'm doing to have to try the other uses for the Zpack multi-pack and see if any of them work for me tool
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Damnit Grizz, you shoulda asked, I woulda gone with you! JK, but what a beautiful area, eh!? Too bad it's currently on fire!!!!! ggaaahhhh....good thing you got in before that!

You didn't have any trees fall on you like I did, right? Here's my TR from that experience.... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=pecos

happy hiking

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Watched it three times now. Thanks Grizz! I added it to my 'gearstuff' playlist for future watching ...

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings
    I was really happy to see this video come up - really helpful info going through your gear. I'll have to check it out the next time I visit my dad (he and my brother live in ABQ).

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Damnit Grizz, you shoulda asked, I woulda gone with you! JK, but what a beautiful area, eh!? Too bad it's currently on fire!!!!! ggaaahhhh....good thing you got in before that!

You didn't have any trees fall on you like I did, right? Here's my TR from that experience.... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=pecos
    I missed this thread the first time! Funny to see now familiar scenes in a completely different season.

I did see a bunch of trees down and so tried to be careful in site selection, but if a big wind is going to blow a weakly rooted tree down, how can you tell which trees to avoid? Glad nothing worse happened.

I pass through ABQ a couple of times a year, so another trip into the pines and aspens is definitely in the cards and perhaps a NM area HF hike-and-hang. Saw all sorts of great spots for groups that would hang together. I was actually hoping to hike and hang with dejoha on this trip, but at the end he couldn't un-juggle some prior commitments.

Next time maybe I'll get all the way to Lake Katherine, I've come to see that upon losing the trail under snow and following the strategy of following the creek up once the trail was gone I found a pond that is close to LK but not LK itself. Perhaps I should have followed the strategy of looking more closely at the map, or zooming in on the iPhone cum GPS display.

Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Watched it three times now. Thanks Grizz! I added it to my 'gearstuff' playlist for future watching ...

Grtz Johan
    wow, that's more often that _I've_ watched it. Glad there's something useful in there for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pullarius View Post
    I was really happy to see this video come up - really helpful info going through your gear. I'll have to check it out the next time I visit my dad (he and my brother live in ABQ).
    yep, less than two hours from downtown ABQ to the trailhead up there. I'm thinking you may want to try to avoid a weekend, the crowds were pouring in Saturday a.m. as I was pulling out. (Unless you like lots of equine company!)
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Hey Grizz, yah it was cool to watch your video and see an un-frozen lake!

Wow, looks like you got sidetracked right where me and my hiking buddy almost lost the trail also......Grizz you were soooo close, it was just right around the bend! I even put a cairn up so that the next folks wouldn't lose the trail. Yeah, it's supposed to be a "short" hike from Stewart to Katherine, but it feels long!

Yeah, I was kinda un-nerved after that trip re: trees falling.....it was plenty windy though, that's really why a few came down while we were there.

I would love to be involved in a NM hang....

Gonna watch your vid again to get to the LK part....

Thanks for the reply Professor!

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

Next time maybe I'll get all the way to Lake Katherine, I've come to see that upon losing the trail under snow and following the strategy of following the creek up once the trail was gone I found a pond that is close to LK but not LK itself. Perhaps I should have followed the strategy of looking more closely at the map, or zooming in on the iPhone cum GPS display.

Ahh yes, now I see that yes you were in fact just around the bend from Lake Katherine proper....the trail seems to go straight to the pond, where in fact it should take a sharp left and then follow the slope to the right, and enter the lakebed where you can see the rock fall.

Man I love the Pecos....(my funny brother likes to pronounce it Pee-cos....It's Pay-cos darnit!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast