WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Great Video Griz,,and enjoyed your gear list. Gives something for everybody to think about in lightening up a dash. Love the scenery of the Pecos also. Very nice!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Video: Packing Light in the Pecos

Nice video Grizz. Beautiful country to be hiking in for sure. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the video. Love the gear.

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    very beautiful area very jealous i am, i will just have to be happy the the woods here in PA and surrounding areas for now. thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Good video Grizz. You were describing your personal stuff and i thought where's your backup fire starter??,,,,just then you remembered your knife/fire steel combo. Good going. Your several lbs lighter than me on base weight. Good job.
    Thanks for sharing
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Grizz ... that was the high point of my lunch! Good to see another video and especially with you out and about! Sweet new Grizz Bridge! So did you fly out? If so I'm guessing you picked up your fuel canister locally?
    Flew to ABQ and drove up to Los Alamos for most the week. Discovered during the business part of the trip that there was a fire ban on, and that interpretation excluded wood stoves. I'd brought a BackCountry Boiler with carbon felt ring for alcohol backup. Didn't know whether the alky part would pass muster or not---the regs explicitly permitted only stoves burning pressurized gas you can turn off. Just so happened that Santa Fe has an REI and that that weekend REI had a 30% off one item for members sale...so I dropped in and picked up this JetBoil Sol (aluminum model, they didn't have the Ti version in stock), and a cannister. On my exit passed the cannister along to some college aged kids from Texas at the trailhead just starting off. They were delighted to get it, and tossed it into a pack that was already 45 pounds easily, so the extra load was hardly noticed I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    Yupp ^ my lunch too!

Looks like a great trip, well thought-out and prepared. Nice work on the video - I like your editing skills.

Inspiration in so many ways . . .

-Klauss
    Thanks. It's fun to edit with a good tool. I'm using (Apple) Final Cut Pro X...there's a great deal more to this than I know how to use, but I try to learn (and remember) something new with each project.

Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    After lunch viewing for me, and I really enjoyed it. Nice work Grizz.
    Keep a secret? I watch videos at lunch also.....with the office door closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Great trip Griz. Looks like my kind of area.

Really like the gear list throughout the trip report.
    You better believe it is your kind of area...things I've read say it is a prime place to go fishing!

Funny how we like to see what the other guy is carrying...and find out about new tools we didn't used to know we needed....!

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    My lunch too! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Nice place that Pecos place is!
    Thanks for the lesson on going light! I am still stuck on carrying too many redundent things in case something breaks, I have a backup. Still like my dana design terraplane which is half the total weight you brought! I can see how more comfortable I can get if I let go!
    I get the redundant part, or especially, "What if it's really cold???" I struggled with whether to bring my down sleeves and/or another insulated layer. Eventually I figured I always had my top quilt so that if I really got cold I could
    just wrap it in. Sleeves and extra layer stayed home.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    It's been far toooooooooo long Griz!
    Excellent pack review---that top mechanism sure is nice. I've got that packs little brother via a roching from Yoda ~Gossamer's ultralightweight day pack~ and there is some commonality-both great packs. Like the fact Samarai Joe is riding up front
    Nice Mora too-built in firesteel very nice.
    A bit of Shugmery influence video wise on that creek crossing.
    On the cooking system weight, the canister was not included correct? Excellent insight given on the JetBoil.....hmmm...stay away from places banning wood/r-oh.
    Clothing review too! YES to merino. Please tell me more about the vest-looks like a circa Patagonia Puffball ????
    BackpackingLight used to market a "Cocoon" line of lightweight insulated stuff. That's what it is.

Reminds me, my Packa is back with CedarTree for a retrofit to accommodate a Zimmer pack.
    Hydration too-you're killing me Def. backup with SteriPen, I've had two fail My current back up is Chlorox.
    Just a mighty fine video Grizz. Sure missed seeing them from you. You are def. the master!
    Oh, one more question. Did you get an AARN-like transfer of weight to the front when the water bottle was full?
    Didn't notice any weight when the front bottle was full. AARN-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Just finished watching, excellent with beautiful views that I can only imagine were breathtaking in person, very envious I am, very...

Couple questions about your gear.

How do you make sure your not cross contaminating your water? You dipped the nalgene canteen in the water to fill it, but how do you sterilize the water that was trapped in the threads? I saw you put the steripen in the opening of the canteen and down into the water, yet I fail to comprehend how you don't cross contaminate when you poured the water from the canteen into the Fiji water bottle.
    Excellent observation / question. If the water is likely to be clean (high up, no stock animals) I wipe the threads on the nalgene with a pocket handkerchief.
    Not perfect but the risk is low. For higher risk I don't put the canteen into the water, I have one of those Origama folding bowls. I'll get dirty water into the bowl, and then pour carefully (or with a funnel I didn't bring this trip) into the Canteen. With care the outside, lip, and threads stay clean.

The weight of the bridge is fantastic, very very impressive. When using the Lt4's as spreaders did you have to strengthen them at all, via a dowel, or something else? Or did you find that when collapsed they were strong enough. I remember talking to you about using carbon for spreaders and it ended up that the weight savings may end up being nil, may have to consider not selling my GB.
    These LT4s have 2 sections, and collapsed are very close to 36" long. Perfect!
    The dowels in 3-section poles are for lengthening the collapsed pole. The one thing I'm keeping a close eye on is the tips. They flex a bit and I can imagine under the wrong circumstances one bending and snapping. Have not broken on me yet, but I've seen the flex under load.

The Z-Packs chest pack, how do you feel on the size of it? What I mean is do you think it is too deep? I have been looking at getting one for some time now, but I feel it is just a bit too deep. I have seen where people have kept two water bottles in theirs, which is deeper than I would need it. My use would possibly end up being one water bottle, snacks, maps, camera, and a little other small items and I just seem to think that the size is slightly too big. What are your feelings?
    One of those Fuji 1L bottles is just a hair too long to lay flat in the pack, will have to look for a slightly smaller quart bottle. I think you're right that one bottle, a map, snacks, a camera would not fill it, but me I wouldn't want it to be full as that makes finding what I'm looking for harder.

If I can find a quart bottle that fits better, then I have no complaints about the pack size.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Awesome trip. Long time since I did any elevation like that.
    You and me both! I did wonder if I'd have aclimated to the altitude by the time I start changing it on foot. Spent 3 days at 8500 ft beforehand locked into a conference room, and that did the trick for the breathing part.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Great Video Griz,,and enjoyed your gear list. Gives something for everybody to think about in lightening up a dash. Love the scenery of the Pecos also. Very nice!
    Thanks...thinking about what one brings has its rewards...beats work for example!

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    Nice video Grizz. Beautiful country to be hiking in for sure. Thanks for sharing with us.
    all the more so when home is Illinois farmland....! I'm fortunate to get to travel on business.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerflop View Post
    Thanks for the video. Love the gear.
    I knew there'd be a gear-junky niche for the gear-talk! Glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by yooz85 View Post
    very beautiful area very jealous i am, i will just have to be happy the the woods here in PA and surrounding areas for now. thanks for sharing!
    There is something to be said for living vacariously, particularly when doing the real thing is so much effort!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ah....so nice to see you out. Good on you for flossing))))) Yes indeed the Packa does make a Perfect Pillow.
    Looked to be a peaceful time.
    Still looking forward to sharing some trail time with you someday Grizz.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    After dinner mint viewing for me!

You sure know how to make a hammock hiking video! A brilliant mix of trip, and gear reporting! All of it very interesting! Thank you, GrizzlyAdams, very, very well done!

Hammock
    TW Hornet
    Tarp
    TW Sargasso Storm
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket.
    Suspension
    Stock tree straps
    Great video, cheers for sharing.
    Makes me a little bit jealous being here in the uk without great forest trails like that to explore.
    I like how you take the time to break down your kit as well, it's given me some ideas.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Good video Grizz. You were describing your personal stuff and i thought where's your backup fire starter??,,,,just then you remembered your knife/fire steel combo. Good going. Your several lbs lighter than me on base weight. Good job.
    Thanks for sharing
    bill
    Glad I didn't disappoint! I like carrying a Mora style knife especially when I'm using a wood-burning stove, to better split thicker sticks to get at their nice dry insides. Have not yet been forced to use any of my backups, thankfully. Still you gotta go into the woods sufficiently---if minimally---prepared for failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Ah....so nice to see you out. Good on you for flossing))))) Yes indeed the Packa does make a Perfect Pillow.
    Looked to be a peaceful time.
    Still looking forward to sharing some trail time with you someday Grizz.
    Shug
    Thank you Sire! Peaceful describes it very well. We shall share that trail...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    After dinner mint viewing for me!

You sure know how to make a hammock hiking video! A brilliant mix of trip, and gear reporting! All of it very interesting! Thank you, GrizzlyAdams, very, very well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
    Great video, cheers for sharing.
    Makes me a little bit jealous being here in the uk without great forest trails like that to explore.
    I like how you take the time to break down your kit as well, it's given me some ideas.
    Thanks. I suppose we invented the "trip and gear using hammocks" genre here at HF. It works because hammock people tend to be really interested in different options for their gear, and in different combinations. Whatever the reason, glad you liked it.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast