Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad plus reflectix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

First hang...

...well sorta as I have done the backyard thing a couple times. Last week I had planned a short overnight to Kepler's Overlook (GWNF) to test drive my Hennessy Explorer and to see how my pup would do in the woods. With severe thunderstorms forecasted for the area, I opted instead to go to a local car camp site with the dog and one of my sons

We had a hoot, and was a nice reminder of the best part about getting away from the home front.

Our site was adequate, allowing me proximity to their tent while still deploying the hammock and Hex tarp (still in snakeskin).

It rained all night and I stayed completely dry. For the record, Remy did great in the tent with my boy - better than I hoped.

OK, so for the set-up. First, I am generally a great sleeper, and so have had no problems sleeping in the woods whether it be tent or hammock. But, no question I am so much more comfortable in the hammock and feel far better in the AM. Plus, it is easier to get out and make a nature call than off the ground and out the tent rain fly.

I just find myself struggling to get the tarp and hammock just right. I went back and forth between the two trees like 15 times before settling with what I had. When I set the "V" on the tarp ridgeline and run the hammock suspension through it, the toggle (bolt for now) tends to re restricted once I sit in the hammock.

Also, am confused on how tight the hammock ridgeline needs to be prior to loading. I feel like I am making it just taut enough to be "straight", but when I get in it feels real tight. When I loosen it, the line is subtly but visibly sloped.

I found at one point that the whoopie sling on one side of the hammock would be barely extended, while the other was at its max length...should I try and balance that?

Again, I sleep well regardless but just feel I need to tighten things up. I've attached a few pics and would appreciate any thoughts.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Can't see your pictures (are they attached?), but things I've found useful in hanging an Hennessy:

1.) Keep the foot end 4" to 12" higher than the head end. The suspension cords (Whoopies, straps, whatever) do not need to be equal in length to achieve this.

2.) When in the hammock, you should be able to turn the ridgeline 90* to 180* off of normal with two fingers: if I can't turn it 90*, I get shoulder squeeze; if I can turn it more than 180*, I get serious floppiness in the hammock. It's okay if the ridgeline drapes a bit before weight is in the hammock as long as the aforementioned tension is achieved once you're in it.

3.) As long as your toggle is smooth (I'd recommend getting something different than a bolt; the threads on it are abrasive), having it contact your tarp line is okay. Not great, but okay. But, if it's going to slowly abrade your tarp line, that might be an issue that needs fixing. Personally, with larger tarps (like the Hennessy Hex), I try to run the tarp line off of the opposite side of the tree from the hammock suspension. This helps prevent them from rubbing against each other.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad plus reflectix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Can you see the pics?

Thanks for the reply FLRider - very helpful and gives me a couple options to look at and keep tweaking as I try and hit the sweet spot. Have not tried the tarp off the other side in particular - will give that a go soon. And yea, the bolts have to go ...the threads are one problem,. let alone the weight.

I see the images fine, but have been struggling with that (my Ipad and Iphone will only upload one shot no matter how many I select in attachment view)...can others see them?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Not a problem. Images, not so much. It's probably an OS thing: I'm not familiar with Macs, so I'm really not your guy to help with that. Sorry that I can't be more helpful there.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts