Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Doormat?

I know lots of people use some sort of ground cloth as a doormat under their tarp, for a multitude of uses.

My question is, if you hang your pack on a tree/ridgeline, is there any need for it? Is it just convenient to have a clean & dry place to put stuff that doesn't fit on a ridgeline or shelf?

I'm just curious, as I've seen them range from a small square to a tarp that almost covers the entire footprint of the tarp.

I have yet to use one, but I've only got a few nights of hanging under my belt (or..under my ridgeline? haha) so I'm still trying to get a perfect setup.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It's handy to have if you want to stand on your bare feet or in your socks while getting dressed.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I put my shoes, a hiking pole, a bottle of water, etc., on there. Don't really need it, but it's convenient to have stuff within easy reach, but not IN the hammock with me.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

I don't use a stuff sack for my tent stakes. Instead, I wrap the stakes in a piece of tyvek about 2x3'. This piece of tyvek is useful to lay small stuff on. For me, the tyvek is more to keep things tidy (i.e. avoiding loss) than it is about keeping things dry.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I bring one along for a few reasons, one if I am using my sit pad which is also my pack frame and my foot insulation when using a partial UQ I will actually put the ground cloth down first and then my sit pad on top of that to keep it somewhat clean so I don't drag to much dirt into the hammock, Also I have used it when I have stopped for lunch and I will lay it out in front of me and place my food on it instead of the ground. Not like my ground cloth is any cleaner then the ground but it helps me keep everything organized and prevents my items from getting to scattered around in the grass and dirt. I also like to stand on it when changing and place my pack on top of it when sleeping. I also use it to sleep on. Because I am only using a partial length UQ in the warmer seasons with a foot pad if I go to ground I place the pad underneath my torso and the ground cloth underneath my legs it does not provide much if any insulation but will keep any dampness from the ground off of me. Lets see what else do I use it for oohh yeah clothing, say you want to wash your skives and pants in a river or they are drenched from a day of rain well then you can simply take the ground cloth wrap it around your waist and wallah a temporary kilt to wear while cloths are drying (and no I have not tried that yet it just pooped into my head but next time I am out I certainly will). So their you have it lots of uses for a ground cloth of any sorts.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Doormat?

Thanks for all the different ideas! I will probably have to give it a shot to really appreciate it. Currently, the only thing I leave on the ground is my shoes, but I will admit, dancing around on top of my shoes while getting dressed isn't the most ideal technique! And as for keeping things organized, that may be the top reason, as I have a tendency to "misplace" things.. At least at home I have my wife to blame!

I have an opportunity to go camping this weekend, I may just cut up an old blue tarp & see how I like it.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    I prefer to put my bare feet on my small piece of tyvek when I get out of my hammock. Waiting for me there are my camp shoes, water, & hiking poles.

kc -- fulltime hammocker, thanks to Olddog, Samsara, and Duffy!
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

I take a contractor-strength garbage bag with me. At night I can put my pack, boots, and camp shoes inside and tie it off to keep everything clean, dry, and away from critters. And if the weather's good it also makes a clean spot to lay some things out or stand on. Works great for me.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    i pick up discarded vinyl signs/banners, to use for a variety of reasons

i cut them up to make foot prints for my tents, bags for tent stakes, etc... & now for my DOOR MAT, under the hammock

i folded each of the 4 corners over(dog eared them) & put a grommet in each corner

now, i push an aluminum tent stake thru each grommet to hold the thing in place, while i am dressing or getting up to meet the demands of an old man's system, during the night

since i sleep bare footed or at the most in socks, i don't end up bringing dirt, leaves, twigs a/o other trash back into my nest

since i am a M/C camper & weight isn't a real issue, i have given thought to using a rattan beach mat, but haven't gotten around to it YET

just 1 old man's way of life

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I use a small piece of tyvek as well. Run it through the washing machine 2 times with no detergent and it comes out nice and soft, folds up to nothing and weighs about nothing. Its white against the ground so you can see your stuff when you get up in the middle of the night. Its also nice to have my shoes on there and my cook stuff with coffee ready to go in the morning.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast