HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images

Is the HH undercover & underpad worth it?

$129.95... Worth it or not.

For those that have used the undercover... are they worth it, what is better, do you still use it, what did you replace it with? I'm thinking of getting one but these are the questions I have.

For those that like the product but feel it is overpriced, what would a fair price be in your opinion? New & used...

Just looking for buying types of info right now. If I get one I will find a whole new list of list user type questions.

Thanks, Jeff
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

Undercover...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post

For those that have used the undercover... are they worth it, what is better, do you still use it, what did you replace it with? I'm thinking of getting one but these are the questions I have.

For those that like the product but feel it is overpriced, what would a fair price be in your opinion? New & used...

Just looking for buying types of info right now. If I get one I will find a whole new list of list user type questions.

Thanks, Jeff
    A lot of us make out own. If you can find the material and a local person/tailor who can make one for you...great. Or..take up sewing...You'll need something to keep the cool/cold air off your backside. If convience is worth it to you rather than make your own...yes it is fair.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Yes, its worth it

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post

I think its the best buy in hammock under-insulation next to a CCF pad. A CCF pad is much cheaper, but nowhere near as comfy.

What is better:
    1. WITH A SPACE BLANKET will keep you warm down to 30* or so depending on how warm a sleeper you are.
    2. Impervious to rain with the UC. Allows the "dental floss" sized stock tarp to be more-than-adequate protection in nasty weather.
    3. Easy to pack. The undercover rolls up in #4 snakeskins. The pad goes into an 8L dry bag. Some folks prefer to just wad up the whole ball-of-wax.
    4. Just as comfy as an underquilt, much better than a pad slopping around inside your hammock. Not *quite* as warm as down - there's something about the snuggyness of down that a pad cannot duplicate.

I have spent about 50 nights in mine in the last year. No way I'm going to replace it. One of these days I WILL have to buy a new OCF pad. Mine's starting to look a little ragged. It got a coupla punctures when I was bushwhacking in the Boundary Waters last May, and it suffered a bit this Winter when I had my Exped MultiMat underneath it. The frozen condensate stuck the two mats together, and I wasn't careful enough peeling them apart and I lost a few little pieces.

Don't get me wrong, it still works fine. It just is showing its age (like me...)

Initially the SS got a bad rap, because people didn't follow Tom's dictum to use a space blanket with it and they had problems below 45-50*. The SB adds 10-15* of warmth with the SS, from a combo of radiant heat retention, wind resistance, and vapor barrier effect.

I think there was also some initial confusion about how to set it up. Its a little confusing the first coupla times. Once you have it attached to your hammock though, its a piece of cake.

Its been the Rodney Dangerfield of hammock camping for some time, it never got no respect. But I think its starting to get rehabilitated.

Read my review of it on BGT here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0Kurt%20Papke/

Lots of additional info there you might find useful in making your decision.

That all said, someday I will buy a JRB underquilt -- when I have $400 or so sitting around that I don't know where to spend. I would love to be enveloped in the warmth of a down UQ, but I just cannot justify the expense. I regularly take my SS down to 0* here in Minnesota, with the addition of my MultiMat and down jacket in the undercover both of which serve other purposes as well.

Hope this helps.
    --Kurt

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I got my first look at the Hennessy undercover/underpad last night while a friend of mine and I were geeking out on our hammocks.

To me, the answer is yes. It's worth the money that they are asking for it. Especially since they are currently tossing in their larger hex tarp right now to go with it.

With that in mind, I'm still saving my money for Speer SnugFit.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

it's the biggest no-brainer bargain in hammocking

There is nothing available that will get you to lower temps for the same money.

It packs lighter and smaller than synthetic UQs, and almost as small as down UQs.

You can supplement it in various ways to get to very cold temps.

It all packs together with the hammock in a single stuff sack.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    There is nothing available that will get you to lower temps for the same money.

It packs lighter and smaller than synthetic UQs, and almost as small as down UQs.

You can supplement it in various ways to get to very cold temps.

It all packs together with the hammock in a single stuff sack.
    That may be, but if you can sew or con someone to do it for you, you can build a Potomac/KAQ and buy a Dryducks poncho from JRB for less money and have, IMO a warmer more durable system. I'd build the KAQ 60 or so inches long and carry a short evazote pad.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post

Its been the Rodney Dangerfield of hammock camping for some time, it never got no respect. But I think its starting to get rehabilitated........
    --Kurt
    Funny, but very accurate and well put.

jeffjenn, a few folks have never been able to make it work for them, quite a few others( I'm not so lonely now, glad to say) have been able to make it work just as well as TH claims at his website. IMO, if you are able to be warm even in the mid 30s with it ( no problem for me), then it is well worth it. Especially once you consider that you get additional wind and rain protection as part of the package. Sure, you could make something similar for less money, but the factory job is a custom fit, and it might not be easy to clone the shaped OCF pad. (Hint: if you get one, ask about the kidney and torso pads to go with it. )

I still really like it. In fact, since the forecast even just a few days ago was for unseasonably warm temps and lot's of wind and rain, I have been seriously considering taking old faithful (SS) to the Sipsey Wilderness get together. But it has turned off cold and snow and low 20s is in the forecast now. So, I think I will go for the hedonistic luxury of the JRB BMBH and MWUQ, mainly just for the extra comfort. But, I'm sure I could be warm enough with the SS plus a bit of extra added to the UC, but I'm really liking my BMBH lately.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    ...a Potomac/KAQ and ...a Dryducks poncho ...IMO a warmer more durable system.
    That is why I have both a KAQ and a SS!

Is there any other product that is close to the same price and performance of the SS? I think the KAQ is it!

I can't decide which one to take on my motorcycle trip to Florida next week. The SS packs smaller, but I really like that camo KAQ. Reminds me of Jack Nicholson's dilemma in Prizzi's Honor... "Do I marry her, or kill her? Which one of dese?"
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Without question . . .worth it per all the other knowledgeable posts here. SS + OCF pad + KAQ = seamlessly integrated bombproof HH system to below freezing.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images
    I would say YES with the caveat that the OCF pad is extremely fragile. It is very light and packable and will get you down to the low temps. If you could find a more durable OCF pad and match it to a JRB Weathershield I think you would have a better, cheaper system. I have the SS and the Weathershield but have not found a decent OCF pad to try.

All in all the combination of the SS, SB and a good sleeping bag got me and some buddies down to -13F.
    Todd K. Miller

• + New Posts