Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Inflatable pad in a hammock?

Hammock Engineer has loaned me a hammock (HH Ultralite Asym) so I can give hammocking a serious try. After reading DixieCritter's comments on her first night in a hammock (the pad was so hard she didn't sleep well), I wondered if I could use my BA insulated air core in a hammock? It is 20" x 72" rectangle.

Rock told me he cut his ccf pad to mummy shape at the foot to keep the foot from twisting up and over his feet in a hammock.

My concern is the need to reposition my injured leg during the night to keep some of the muscles from cramping. This is especially important after a day of hiking as the muscles tend to cramp more. I am normally a size sleeper if this makes any difference in your answers.

The male dino currently has a Thermarest ProLite4 - could he use that or do I need to drag out our pre-accident Ridgerests?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'll let slowhike comment on the inflatable pad. It seems he's had really good results with it - not only can he partially inflate it for comfort, but the thickness lifts him off the bottom of the hammock, giving him more room side-to-side and making it easier to move around.

I don't know about the Prolite - I've heard thoughts on their use in a hammock that indicate some potential problems. Specifically, the little holes in the foam that reduce weight still insulate on the ground because there's little or no air movement under them. Because of this, the pad might not insulate as well in a hammock when there's air flowing underneath. My Z-rest has the same issue. It's warmer than nothing, but doesn't insulate nearly as well as it does on the ground. My 'normal' TR works great, though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The only problem I could see with an inflatable is balance. Something that's only 20" but that thick holds me up off the hammock pretty high...rolling over is just a bit trickier if I want to stay on the pad. But I also fully inflate mine so I don't need wings...partial inflation would make staying on the pad less of an issue but might reduce shoulder coverage.

For me, this isn't really a problem...I think the Exped is pretty comfortable. Your leg might make it more of an issue. Or it might not.

Be sure to test it at home before you go hiking with it, though. And if that BA is a bit too narrow, there are a few wider insulated inflatables you could try.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Yea, I'd try out at home both the CCF and inflatable. I would not make a decision based on how someone else slept.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i absolutely love the inflatables.
    i have the BA insulated aircore & the exped DAM for colder temps.
    different people report different temp comfort ranges but in colder weather i'm convinced that it's a good idea to take a ccf pad as well... even if it's just a 3/4 or torso length. if you find that you're sleeping cold on the inflatable, the ccf will add noticeably to it's comfort range.
    also, if you would happen to run into a leak problem that would be hard or impossible to repair before you need to use the pad to sleep, the ccf would be a large help.
    you may never run into that problem but it does happen on occasion<g>.
    and if you use the air mat only partly inflated (that's by far what feels best to me) the ccf will be helpful insulation in the thin spots.
    i believe the HH holds you a little higher so partly inflated would be more stable like jeff said.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have used a Big Agnes Air Core in my hammock before. It works but as others have stated it makes me ride a little high in the hammock and gives a slightly off balance feel. The Thermarest is shorter than my BA so it may work better.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Honestly, I think putting pads into the hammock is nothin' but trouble. Too many times have I tried that and ended up twisted and tortured. Solution? I would say that it is the Hennessy Undercover/pad system. It keeps the pad snug against you, but underneath the hammock. It is great and light, and you don't need to go to the Big Agnes, which is really the only other sensible option, i think.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyman View Post
    Honestly, I think putting pads into the hammock is nothin' but trouble. Too many times have I tried that and ended up twisted and tortured. Solution? I would say that it is the Hennessy Undercover/pad system. It keeps the pad snug against you, but underneath the hammock. It is great and light, and you don't need to go to the Big Agnes, which is really the only other sensible option, i think.
    i really see two good reasons that a person would use a pad in the hammock.
    one is to have a safety margin in case of the need to go to ground (like unexpected cold that is beyond the capability's of your gear & body, or a busted hammock or supports).
    another reason is comfort. for a lot of people, the hammock it's self is great, but for some (like myself... broke back & lots of ribs in 2002, then had two surgeries) the taughtly stretched hammock is a little to firm.
    i have slept on an insulated air mat in a hammock every night for over two years now.
    i use the pad partly inflated. that way it is more conforming to my body & doesn't cause me to ride high & unballanced. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    As Slowhike says, the tautness of a hammock is a bit much for injured parts. I can't sleep on my right side on a really firm bed mattress.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyman View Post
    ...the Big Agnes, which is really the only other sensible option, i think.
    That's a pretty bold statement. I think there are lots of sensible options.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast