Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Hammockers are just a "higher" class of individuals.

Great post. I'm glad I found my way here.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Why HF likes newbies to ask "the same old questions"

I used to be on a few forums for hunting, shooting, 4x4ing and that kind of thing but found them hard on new guys to the point that I stop reading them. Here is really good place to learn and share even if it is the same ten topics over and over. The best thing is no one cares what kind of gear you have. $10 or $500 it's still a hammock and you still welcome.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Jeff's post is interesting. I'm a noobie and I have found that this forum is unlike any other I have been on. The culture here is very welcoming. Since this is basically all about sleeping, maybe that explains it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

Why HF likes newbies to ask "the same old questions"

Great ideas all around. Ironic that Just Jeff started this post... For me it was reading your blog many years ago that got me into this hammock stuff.

One reason I personally still enjoy the newbie questions is because I feel hammocking is always and quickly evolving. This site and all the DIY artists and cottage vendors are why hammocks keep getting better and the same old questions always seem to have new answers.

Remember when getting your hands on a good ring buckle suspension was the holy grail? Then came whoopsie slings and MSH. Then Dutch started using a water jet to make parts. UCRs... And here we are now. That's just hammock suspension.

Good news is that here on HF, everything's constantly evolving... Especially if you donate. Great site, my friends.
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SF
    I appreciate the helpfulness of HF. Seeing the same question answered again has been helpful because as you grow in knowledge you understand the issues better and can better weigh the answers.

I have never understood those who post in forums "Use the search (you doofus)." Didn't their mothers teach them: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything?"

Thanks for the friendly, helpful, answers. Now, Carry On!
    Mighty Fine, Mighty Fine.

As others have mentioned, as a new member I feel welcome. I like that if I ask a question that might have been answered deep into the forum somewhere I will not be ridiculed for not having already read the past 6 years worth of posts.

That said, I try hard to use the search function and have learned a lot going off in a variety of tangents. For example I was originally thinking I would try to make a HH clone but after getting sidetracked in my searching on this forum I have now decided to give the WBBB clone a try.

One other comment regarding allowing noobs to ask the same ol question, some of the responses (especially to noob questions) are several years old. If I search for the "best" suspension system / method I think I would get a different answer 5 years ago than if asked today. (and I suspect a different answer 5 years from now!) Seems hammocking is still evolving rather quickly as is evident the number of small innovative companies making hammocks and accessories. It is good practice to relook at the "old questions" every now and again.

So thank you!
    J

PS. Talking of reassessing old practices, is there another way to donate to the forum? I mean other than paying by check. Perhaps paypal or google wallet, or some way via a credit card? I understand the fees involved but even not accepting cc via paypal seems easier and quicker than the mail a check solution.
    I was going to donate today but just didn't want to take the time to write the check and mail it etc. I would have made a small donate to support the site if there was an easy way to give my credit card or paypal info.
    On a tangent, when trying to donate it mentioned I recieved member privileges for one year. That is not why I am donating but I have no idea what privileges those may be? Free hammocks? Guarantee for one rainfree 5 day hike on the AT? Thanks again for the forum!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Re: Why HF likes newbies to ask "the same old questions"

The PayPal option is there. Just click the cost, hit order then select PayPal.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Love the forums and it seems to be really growing, more opportunity to give back.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a saying when people at work don't want to change: Just because we've always done something a certain way does not mean it's not incredibly stupid...

Here's to new questions to challenge the old ways...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    We're not just a forum, we're a community of colleagues and fellow enthusiasts.

I have that problem on a road biking forum I am a member of. Members bickering with each other and rude answers to the newbies, and unless you're riding X miles, and wearing Y clothing and shaving your legs and being a clone of Lance Armstrong you're doing it wrong.

The mutual respect shown here is amazing, and what keeps me here and keeps me coming back and starting threads, even if it is just to bounce ideas off of people and provoke discussion.

To quote Van Wilder: "I like it here"
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast