Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I like the Superfly for a nice little area to hang out, particularly in porch mode... But if I were just looking to stay dry while sleeping, in warm weather, I'd probably get an Edge.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I like the Superfly for a nice little area to hang out, particularly in porch mode... But if I were just looking to stay dry while sleeping, in warm weather, I'd probably get an Edge.
    +1 on this.

If you are going to be spending any substantial time in the hammock it is nice to have the extra "livable area" - a dry place to cook, eat, change, hangout, etc.

If you're going to be hiking until dark, cooking a meal, and going to bed, the extra coverage may not be a priority (not to mention you probably won't want to carry the extra weight of a larger tarp if you're focus is mileage).

Another factor I also consider with setups that are for someone else is the ease of use (whether it's ease of use for the person that you want to be able to set it up with ease by themself or whether it's ease of use for you having to put up a second or third setup after you've already hung your setup and are ready to sit down and enjoy the woods ).

Lastly, a larger tarp = more "fudge factor". You don't have to setup guitar string tight and exactly centered over your hammock with a larger tarp compared to a tarp that has a ridgeline length the same or just an inch or two longer than your hammock length.

YMMV

Fair weather? No problem.

But seriously, a larger tarp will give you more setup options. A vertical wall and a roof (Porch mode) is nice on a cloudy day.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have an HG Winter Palace, essentially the same dimensions as the Superfly but much lighter due to cuben fiber.

I've been on the forums a couple of years, and I continue to be mystified by claims that site selection and tarp configuration can somehow mitigate shifting winds and blowing precipitation. I guess some folks live in places where the wind consistently blows from one direction, and they can get by on a skimpy tarp.

I don't live in such a place, and I don't camp in such places. In fact, I'm extremely skeptical that such beautifully predictable sites for camping exist. Therefore, I'll stick to my HG Winter Palace. If I didn't have that, I'd be rocking a Superfly.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have an HG Winter Palace, essentially the same dimensions as the Superfly but much lighter due to cuben fiber.

I've been on the forums a couple of years, and I continue to be mystified by claims that site selection and tarp configuration can somehow mitigate shifting winds and blowing precipitation. I guess some folks live in places where the wind consistently blows from one direction, and they can get by on a skimpy tarp.

I don't live in such a place, and I don't camp in such places. In fact, I'm extremely skeptical that such beautifully predictable sites for camping exist. Therefore, I'll stick to my HG Winter Palace. If I didn't have that, I'd be rocking a Superfly.
    Exactly. I have been hiking and camping since I was a child and one major thing I have learned is you never know exactly what the weather is going to do. I remember picking out a tent site one time that I thought was the cat's meow, and there was no way I would have a problem in rain...only to find out I was very wrong lol.

People can carry whatever they want, I just personally like a bigger tarp with doors for the very minimal weight increase...unless you want to spring for cuben fiber in which it's a non-issue. Having the room to move around and so much protection from the elements is worth every ounce!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    It's really all personal choices on which way you want to camp. But to me, it boils down to being outside. With a minimal size tarp ... yeah you can keep dry most of the time BUT and it's a big BUT for me ... In a hammock with a minimum tarp I might as well be cooped up in a tent to wait out the rain. With the larger coverage tarp I have this dry space where I can easily get in and out of bed if I need to water the lilies ... sit around and watch the rain ... take care of necessary chores. All in the dry and comfort of the covered area. Like a tent, with a minimum tarp there's no way I can get out to "water the lilies" without getting wet putting my rain gear on or dragging water back into my hammock. With the larger coverage I can shed my wet gear in the dry and climb in my bed dry! Did I mention I'd be relatively dry?

I use to HATE rainy days in a tent for that very reason. Now ... honestly ... rain is just part of the experience and doesn't effect my ability to sleep nice and dry or to coop me up in a damp tent waiting out the storm! I LOVE IT ... I learned a long time ago to use the word "never" sparingly but I'm pretty sure you'll be hard press to ever see me with a minimal sized tarp!

If you are camping near me with your little tarp in a storm ... you'll always be welcome to come sit with me under the roof of "my porch" and share a coffee ... sitting there in the dry!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    This thread reminded me of Chetter72's video.. I remember watching it and thinking that is exactly why I like my SuperFly. It made me remember those days of being stuck in the tent compared to the joy of hanging under the tarp.

Skip to 4-5 minutes in if you like... that gets to the crux of it.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Where is Big Pine Lakes? Not N.C.?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I wish the Sierra Neveda range was out my back door... This is in California, SE of Yosemite.
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/cal...ig-pine-lakes/

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SF
    Nice video. Quite a difference in what it means to be battened down in a tent and a SF.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast