DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings

GoLite Jam vs. REI Flash

In an effort to try and get out camping more, I'm looking to get a lighter, more comfortable pack, without spending a fortune (which I don't really have). I was watching a thread about a week ago where someone asked for similar advice, and many people recommended a GoLite Jam (which is currently on sale).

Right now, REI is having their sale, and with a member coupon, I could get the Flash 45 for a very reasonable price. It's a few ounces more than the Jam, with some more structure and extras.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Flash. Would people recommend spending the extra cash for the Jam? If I go with the Jam, are there strong recommendations to just go ahead and get the 70L over the 50L? (I realize some of these are personal preference - I'm just trying to hear from people with much more experience than me).

Thanks!

Flash has all the things I personally look for in a pack. I just checked it out from your link for the first time. I used to own a Jam. I know Golite has made some mods but I'm not sure the on sale jam has the full back mesh pocket but that's key for me. deep side mesh pockets for the Flash as well, didn't like Golite's. The frame on the Flash looks MUCH more substantial than the Jam's. I found when I was packed too tight with the Jam it'd barrell out into my back instead of staying flat.

If it were me, and I've only owned the Jam, looking at the Flash I'd go with that. 45 is just on the low side but great for summer really so if you're looking for a warm weather bag where you don't need a million layers of clothes, I'd go with the Flash.

The new Flash got rave reviews from BPL users, my better half has one and it looks like they did a vast number of improvements in this version (or revision).

Do you want a bunch of pockets? Stay? Lid?

The Jam has been used for many years by a great number of hikers/backpacker/long distance hikers without fail or issue.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have a Jam 70L and haven't tried the Flash, but it sure looks sweet! Here are a few quotes from experienced forum members who own a Flash (in different sizes):

I use an REI Flash 65 liter year round. All my insulation is high end down. Don't understand how so many seem to get by with substantially smaller packs. Knotty.

Plus one on that ... Flash 65 is my year round pack ... love it!. Hawk-eye.

The Flash 45 has nice padding on the shoulder straps and has a real hip belt. Still not as nice as the OHM or Gorilla. If funds are tight and you want to spend your Rei gift card, the Flash 45 is what I recommend. Sidewinder.

I have the Flash 50. I love mine. It's a good size without being huge (just the right size to meet carry on limits for the airlines - no need to check luggage). It's a good pack for the dollar and works well for what it is. Sunny.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have both the Jam 35L and 70L. I use the 35L for day hikes and the 70L for overnights. They are super comfortable and adjustable. They are pretty no thrills, i.e. one pocket on the back (good sized), two side mesh pockets (the 70L will hold 2 1L bottles on each side, the 35L holds one on each side), but they work great for me so far.

Obviously the Flash has more pockets and an aluminum frame and is less expensive right now than the 70L. Based on my inability to pack intelligently the extra 20L of space comes in handy...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings
    All this info is super helpful - thanks.

I just looked at the Flash 62 - it's a bit more, but I can pick it up at the store, and it has a bit more structure to it which I think I'll like. (besides, I think I might be overestimating just how much I could fit in the 45).

I've been using the Flash 65 and the updated version of the 62 for about 2 years. The first Flash 65 (gray) went back after a year because the plastic back panel inside deformed and kept bunching up under pressure. REI took it back and I swapped out to the new 62 version. They improved it with 2 waist belt pockets, a new wire suspension frame, and a better designed rear zipper pocket that has depth to it. This improved the use ability 100 percent.

Most of my trips are 1 or 2 nights, but I've had it out for up to 5. It's used as my year round pack and 30 pounds or so handles fine. My last trip was 22 lbs and it was wonderful. It has a water pouch inside, but they never feel comfortable, so I just hang my water bladder in the side pocket. It's on sale, so I'd take a 2nd look. Take it out on a test trip and if you don't like it, take it back.

• + New Posts