Hammock
    Momposina at home/ WBBB for camping
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    Warbonet 3/4 Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoop&DutchBuckles
    Since you are in the UK I highly recommend you check out Maranon, they are based in Amsterdam and shipped my order quite cheaply. They also sell all the hooks and eyes you need. For indoor use and setting up in the garden, get a cotton hammock, its a no brainer, so much more comfortable than nylon. But if you want something that doubles up for hiking, a woodsman will give you the open plan hammock for lazing in your room, but with the added benefit of a bug net when in the wood.

Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope

I might be able to help you...

I live in Brazil and sleep in hammocks all the time! I believe I can help you! Honestly your room is Super small! You need at least 157 inches to be able to have a nice angle to sleep in for a really long period of time.

Looking at the map of your bedroom I must say that you have a little problem if you hang it from the top right corner to the bottom left because of the window. I assume you have no beams to hang them off of...there is a little dirty secret on how to hang up hammocks with ropes...

I believe you should go for a cotton hammock! It is way more comfortable than a nylon and by far warmer.

If you happen to get a hammock that is to large for the room there is a way to hang it up in a short space...

As you mentioned you have brick walls so you are going to have to might put in hooks...the easiest would be the ones Bentheboatman showed but there are hooks you can install in the wall.

Hope that helps....let me know if you have any more questions!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Where to put it is the first concern and I think you have some ideas based on the above. It also looks like you are new to the hammock thing and I have not seen anything about insulation and that would be the next item on the list.

It was suggested that a cotton hammock would be warmer (I don't know as I only have nylon experience), but I slept in my house (72° F) in my camping hammock Saturday night with my 20° Phoenix underquilt and no installation under my lower legs just to see how warm it would need to be for me to get away without using insulation underneath my legs. My feet and lower legs were in the foot of a 45° synthetic sleeping bag with the bag open the rest of the way up lying over me like a blanket. I woke up several times during the night because my lower legs were cool.

So the question is, have you considered lower body insulation or are you just interested in how to hang in the space you have?

If you're completely new hammocks, have you slept in one? In my experience, there is a learning curve, but once I figured it out, I now sleep just as well in my hammock as I do in my bed.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis Bailey View Post
    You need at least 157 inches to be able to have a nice angle to sleep in for a really long period of time.
    Not so sure you'll need 157". I hang Brazilians, Mayans, and Nics from anchor points that are only 144" (12') apart using some chain from floor to ceiling. Every hammock I have can hang in this space. It is my indoor nap spot and where we put guests when they visit.

This is one of my 16' Mayans hanging in the same spot:

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Not so sure you'll need 157". I hang Brazilians, Mayans, and Nics from anchor points that are only 144" (12') apart using some chain from floor to ceiling. Every hammock I have can hang in this space. It is my indoor nap spot and where we put guests when they visit.
    157" is 4 meters....anything less than 3 1/2 meters makes your legs stick out when you lay in it diagonal and not quite as comfortable. If that is the way you sleep in your hammock (picture above) when you sleep, I don't know how you do it because I can't.

Interesting hammock set up in the video... =)

Peaceful Hanging!
    Last edited by Denis Bailey; 05-20-2013 at 14:54.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Is it possible: Small Bedroom with a Hammock Bed

Could the chains be replaced by amsteel? If so, what knot, loop, splice would be best since it would be pulling closer to a right angle than in line? Would a prussik loop still work?
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    This online hammock calculator may help:
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Is it possible: Small Bedroom with a Hammock Bed

Quote Originally Posted by gravitino View Post
    This online hammock calculator may help:
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Its was a question of the correct knots. That is, what is the best way to attach the hammock to the amsteel line that would be going from floor to ceiling. Prusik, Klemheist, Alpine Butterfly are all climbing knots, but the load in this case would not be inline with the rope but closer to perpendicular to the rope. Which would be best knot in this application? Or maybe there is hardware used in climbing or with winches that would work really well in this application?

Before whoopies and amsteel- during a time when the WBBB was made exclusively in the US- there was a lot of discussion on hammock forums about knots and friction. Maybe there is a thread on this topic already?
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzehface View Post
    Hello everyone!
    As you may see, I'm rather new to this forum, joined to just ask the community and stuff to be frank about this silly idea of mine.
    So, tiny room, lots of space wasted with a bed. Hammock- packs away, washable + other benefits.
    I have bob standard thick brick wall things I would presume. Now my rooms seems small but with the wall height of 91 inches and some hard work would it work?
    Would you think it's possible to hang a hammock? I just want to give it a go with a cotton or nylon? I don't know, you tell me!
    What's good/cheap/possible?
    Can I make this stupid idea a great reality? Are you up for this challenge?
    1. move the desk to the wall at the bottom of the picture, near the window. Not only will this give you space to hang your hammock, but will put the desk where you can use the natural daylight.

2. rotate the wardrode, so that the back is against the top wall and against the right wall.

3. hang your hammock from the upper-left corner (where it says "40 inches") to the right-mid corner (where it says "20 inches).

This should give you about 130" to hang within. My fulltime hammock rig anchors at 105". You can anchor into brick easy enough or you can frame in a stand. At the moment, I prefer ripstop nylon because it dries quick when I launder it. Also, if you're going to bring down your hammock when you're not using it, it wouldn't take up much space. Just disconnect one end and hook it where the other end is. You can even leave your bedding and pillow in the hammock while it's in storage mode.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    Could the chains be replaced by amsteel? If so, what knot, loop, splice would be best since it would be pulling closer to a right angle than in line? Would a prussik loop still work?
    I'm thinking a Butterfly knot would work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast