Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Six Month Wait? What's a couple more days?

OK, So I paid for a couple of HG Cuben Tarps about six months ago. I wanted to have the Camo version in the Winter Palace. However, the supply was limited and Adam wasn't able to get much. He's been frustrated for the last five months with Cuben Tech.

Well, despite the hardships that their family's faced lately, they came through with flying colors. I believe these are the first tarps with the new fabric. They came in the mail today; however, it's been raining like crazy, so I'll have to keep you waiting for a few more days before I can pitch it....

Winter Palace with 12' ridgeline. Came in with stuff sack & repair tape at 11.55 oz.

You say it didn't happen?:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    Wait wait wait - let me get this straight here... you're going to wait for good weather to hang a tarp, which you'll promptly test out with a sprinkler?

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    That looks really good! Better than I thought it would. Nice!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Photos

OK, So I took my daughter trail running; however, I grabbed my WBRR and forgot the bars. I took these without setting up the hammock.

Overall, I am way impressed! This is a waaay better Camo pattern than the last Cuben Fiber that I saw. The color and pattern is more like a Real Tree. HG changed out the pull outs to a more reinforced plastic - which seem much stronger than the last ones. The Winter Palace with the 12' ridgeline was worth the extra money (however, seemingly as expensive as silver per oz!).

The Cuben Fiber appears to be shiny when light hits it at a certain angle and that will apparently be the case even with a jet black Cuben. However, the Camo pattern is several shades darker than any other Cuben color that I've seen. Much less translucent, especially over the light gray. On the outside, it doesn't immediately strike you with a repetitive pattern look, like some Camos do. It blends in well with the woods out here in the PNW; however, I think in the fall or back East it will work even better. From the inside looking out, you get a sense of being in the woods.

There was a couple of spots where the fabric had something on it when Cuben Tech coated it and they have the light gray fabric. HG did a great job of placing these along the bottom edges, where they bonded the extra pieces to the body. (If you didn't know it, Cuben Tech makes the fabric in about 4' wide rolls. There is a bond at the top and to make the Winter Palace, HG has to bond pieces along the bottom of each side. This significantly increases the production time and cost). I think a simple fix on my part would be to color in the spots with a medium brown or green Sharpie.

I tried to take the photos to give viewers a realistic view of the color. I accidentally had my Starlight filter on for one shot.

Again, HG Cuben Fiber Winter Palace in Camo, with 12' ridgeline and appx. 5' long sides, with doors on the ends. 11.55 oz with stuff sack and repair tape.

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I sure like the new pattern. Here's hoping the powerball comes through for me!
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    That sure is a sweet lookin tarp! I have sofar been able to resist ordering one but those pics are wearing me down buddy...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    Yeah I like that camo too. I was thinking I was about to order a super fly but I was just given some money from grandparents for my graduation so now I'm torn on what to do. Should I spring for the winter palace or go with the superfly. Dang it the decisions are wearing me out.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    After spending so many years having to wear camo, I tend to avoid buying it for personal use. But, that is a surprisingly nice piece of equipment. I will have to keep that in mind if I make the jump to CF.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

What Tarp!

I can't see it. Is it really there? Man that camo pattern is good!
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I ran into Adam and Jenny at Trail Days and she showed me the new pattern on a stuff sack - it is really cool and way different from the old pattern. We hiked with chuck from Chattanooga and he had a HG standard with doors using the old pattern and the new pattern is definitely darker.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast