Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Simply Light Designs Trail Haven 11 Hammock Tarp

This is a review for the Trail Haven 11 silnylon tarp made by Jared from Simply Light Designs (www.simplylightdesigns.com). I found some of his products online and ended up buying a whoopie ridgeline and some sil-nylon stuff sacks. When I got them, I was impressed with the quality and attention to detail. I emailed him about future products and what I was looking for in a hammock tarp. The Trail Haven 11 is the result. I’ve been using it since the April 2013 and have had it out on three trips so far, a couple overnight backyard hangs and numerous day hikes to test it out in various conditions. It will be going out with me in June for a 5 day trip to Pictured Rocks in Michigan’s UP. I’ve experienced snow, rain, calm weather, and heavy winds gusting up to 30 mph. Through it all , it’s held up fine and given me confidence that I’m well protected. It fits my Eno singlenest with about a foot to spare on either end.

Trail Haven 11 specs: Weight is 14 oz (in stuff sack) with tie out lines and it packs to about the size of a 1 liter bottle. Ridgeline is 11 feet and measures 132” by 96”. My version is the cat cut, but he also offers it as straight cut. It has 2 mid-panel pull out loops on each side to gain a little more space inside. It works well with trekking poles and nearby trees. ¾” D-rings on either end of the ridgeline make setup a snap with my CRT, made with Nite-Ize “figure 9” and “s”carabiners. The included guylines are reflective, and the 4 line locks on each corner really help during setup and after it’s been pitched. Mine has the additional edge tie outs on the ends and middle. It give that extra security when your out in bad weather. On the underside of the ridgeline there’s three sewn loops for attaching a bugnet or for hanging items.

Finish & Stitching: I thought the craftsmanship was perfect. No loose threads on edges, accurate and straight stitching and lots of attention to details. Seam sealing was neat with no drips or runs. Even the inside of the stuff sack looked good. Jared puts a lot of effort in making sure the details are just right.

Summary: Simply Light Designs offers this tarp as a 10, 11 or 12 foot version and there’s many options to choose from. I’ve been very happy with this tarp and my dealings with Jared. Pricing is fair and competitive to other comparable products out there. Communication is quick and shipping is fast. Last week my buddy and I were going on an overnight, and 5 days before we were leaving, he needed a new hammock. He contacted Simply Light Designs and 3 days later, a Tree Runner hammock with all the hanging gear was waiting for him in the mail. It was used on our trip and he said it was the best sleep he’d ever gotten! SLD is always adding new products and I know I’ll be supporting this cottage manufacturer whenever I’m in the market for something to add to my gear closet.

Below are a few of pictures of the Trail Haven 11 “in action” showing various pitches, weather and hangs from the past few months.
    (link to full album: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p?albumid=2849 )

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    That's a pretty sweet looking tarp. Took a look at the website and I have to say I'm really liking the low prices and free shipping over $10. I mean you really can't beat $150 out the door for a 12 x 10 winter tarp. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this vendor and may even do a little business

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    I ordered one today. Cat cut 10' x 96" width with panel pullouts in Green. Great pics in this post. Thanks for those.

Quote Originally Posted by whoofit View Post
    I ordered one today. Cat cut 10' x 96" width with panel pullouts in Green. Great pics in this post. Thanks for those.
    Congrats on pulling the trigger on one. You'll be a very happy hanger with your new purchase. I've got mine all packed up and ready to go when I head up tomorrow to Michigan's UP for 5 days & 4 nights at Pictured Rocks. More pics will be coming soon . Anxious to hear how you like your new purchase.

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    Sounds like a load of fun in the UP. Good luck with your trip! If this tarp is as good as the communications have been with Jared, then, I'll be a happy hanger.

With age I've become a bit of a gram weenie sorry to say. This tarp, my lightest hammock with bug net, and stakes/cordage comes in 1/2 lb lighter than my Fly Creek UL2 for summertime use. And it is also 1.5lbs lighter than my old Kelty Noah's Tarp.

This tarp shaves pounds off my pack which brings the dry weight, with filtration, to 13-14 lbs. Wet weight for 3 nights 4 days w/full H2O load is 21lbs. What's not to love there? Matter of fact, with such light weight, I don't care if it keeps me dry at all!

Very excited here as you may tell...

This tarp replaced my Kelty Noah 12 too. Huge difference in weight savings. Congrats on the pack weight...my last overnight was 21lbs plus food, water and 4 pints of Guinness. Michigan weather is wacky, so I know this trip will be heavier, plus I'll have some of 14 yo daughters gear too. This will also be the first use of my Sawyer squeeze & my homemade gravity system (replaced a Hiker Pro filter).

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    If I'm supplying Guinness someone else better be doing the heavy lifting!..

We share in the Sawyer Squeeze too. Over the last couple years it has worked well. It's good that the threads are soda bottle. Makes back flushing easier than fumbling with the syringe. Only had to flush it once so far, at the worst possible time of course. I think you will enjoy it. Have you picked-up a double female adaptor for it yet?

Getting lighter in the pack shaves some weight off the old wallet too....

Not sure if this is all off-topic or not. If I ever needed that Trail Haven tarp it is this weekend with all the rain. I'm waiting for him to release the Trail Lair hammock. That looks real nice. Trying to find pics of it again and I can't.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Trail Haven

Sounds like a load of fun in the UP. Good luck with your trip! If this tarp is as good as the communications have been with Jared, then, I'll be a happy hanger.

This tarp shaves pounds off my pack which brings the dry weight, with filtration, to 13-14 lbs. Wet weight for 3 nights 4 days w/full H2O load is 21lbs. What's not to love there? Matter of fact, with such light weight, I don't care if it keeps me dry at all!

Very excited here as you may tell...
    I was happy with how it looked this morning when I packaged it up. I made sure to get it to the post office first thing and dropped it off. You should have it in a few days and I hope to see some good pics of it in use.

Enjoy!

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    Looks like I'll have it Monday, Jared. Thanks for the quick turn-out! I'll be sure to use it promptly...

Looks like I'll have it Monday, Jared. Thanks for the quick turn-out! I'll be sure to use it promptly...
    Let's see some pics of the new tarp getting some use! What are you using for a ridgeline? I'm using a continuous loop setup with night-eyze and figure 9 biner.

Another action shot of the Trail Haven 11 in early June at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's UP:
    Last edited by michigandave; 06-30-2013 at 15:08.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast